Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a really pushy person trying to sell me reviews on Instagram yesterday. I called them out on it publicly after he kept annoying me. They literally bought a copy (yay?) and then instantly gave it a one-star hatchet job.

But it gets worse. If you look, they are publishing 10-20 reviews A DAY. And the people that don't pay are getting creamed with one and two-stars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...VSQZMSGP3TEQTHSA/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_gw_tr?ie=UTF8

I don't need to be on anyone's radar, but I'm kinda sick about this. Not just because I went from four stars to 3.6 with two one-stars at once (they're a duo), but because they are obviously doing this to a lot of people.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Report their account to Instagram. I don't know that it will do any good, but it's a start.

And report them to Amazon. Bought/sold reviews are supposed to be a big deal to them. Again, I don't know that it will do any good.
I did that, and emailed the big guys. I hear they have people that prioritize email sent there. If anyone else can help with reporting, that would be good for all of us, I think. But a simple glance at their reviews tells the story, really. A review mill.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I looked over the link you posted, and the reviewer has given mostly 3, 4 and 5 star reviews.... genres are quite varied, however. The page linked only shows the reviewer's activity over the last two weeks -- 30 reviews in 15 days, which may be excessive, but maybe not for 'whale' readers. Am I missing something here? Is there any way to see all of their 1900 reviews?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked over the link you posted, and the reviewer has given mostly 3, 4 and 5 star reviews.... genres are quite varied, however. The page linked only shows the reviewer's activity over the last two weeks -- 30 reviews in 15 days, which may be excessive, but maybe not for 'whale' readers. Am I missing something here? Is there any way to see all of their 1900 reviews?
Just that they directly contacted me offering to sell a review, I guess.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The second one indicates this better, I guess. All five star ratings. Except for the people that don't pay, who get one.

Public Profile
You might try reaching out to some of the other 1-star authors to see if they actually did receive the same threat.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
How did you report this to Amazon? Because someone posting dozens of reviews a day, especially when it looks like a lot of them are short romances, isn't really a red flag.

Did you take screenshots of your Instagram interaction? Provide a link to where you "called them out publicly?" That adds a lot more power and substance to your complaint.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just that they directly contacted me offering to sell a review, I guess.
Fair enough. I wasn't doubting your veracity, and don't want to come off as a jerk. The reviews in question didn't look like some scam reviews I've seen highlighted by authors here before, so I was wondering if the link was to the right reviewer.

Sorry you went through this.

FWIW, I looked at your book's LookInside, you are an excellent writer.

You need to keep scrolling. It doesn't work well, but if you keep scrolling down when you hit the last one(past the you might like section) and then go back up again, it has loaded more of their reviews.
I'll try it again, following your advice. I am curious about this thing happening to authors. I suppose it could happen to any of us, just like the one-star bomb thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough. I wasn't doubting your veracity, and don't want to come off as a jerk. The reviews in question didn't look like some scam reviews I've seen highlighted by authors here before, so I was wondering if the link was to the right reviewer.

Sorry you went through this.

FWIW, I looked at your book's LookInside, you are an excellent writer.

I'll try it again, following your advice. I am curious about this thing happening to authors. I suppose it could happen to any of us, just like the one-star bomb thing.
It's whatever the two latest reviews are. I think he's American, and does some pretty credible fake reviews. One of them is, anyway. The other is his partner.

I didn't mean to be defensive, either. It's just that I confronted the guy about it, and he somehow knew exactly what book I was talking about, even though we had never discussed my work at all, and he said he could give me 20 one-star reviews if he wanted to... But with the ability to preview four chapters, who buys a book and quits reading after two pages? Buying it really does make it an extreme sort of move, on his part. I think it's settled, whether they get removed or not. I'll just have to come back from it regardless.

Thanks! DM me and I'll send you a paperback if you'd like.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you report this to Amazon? Because someone posting dozens of reviews a day, especially when it looks like a lot of them are short romances, isn't really a red flag.

Did you take screenshots of your Instagram interaction? Provide a link to where you "called them out publicly?" That adds a lot more power and substance to your complaint.
I forget what the email address they have for it is, its in my inbox somewhere if anyone needs it. I did tell them I had more info if they needed, but haven't heard from anyone again. Oh, well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sorry this has happened to you, @jasonzc. Please report back if you hear from Zon. My experience with them tells me that they remove only positive reviews that they're not happy with. Why are they unhappy with them? I have no clue. I've never had 1-star reviews, no matter how absurd or how obvious it was the reviewer never read the book, removed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry this has happened to you, @jasonzc. Please report back if you hear from Zon. My experience with them tells me that they remove only positive reviews that they're not happy with. Why are they unhappy with them? I have no clue. I've never had 1-star reviews, no matter how absurd or how obvious it was the reviewer never read the book, removed.
That's what I'm figuring, too. I'm still getting legit good ones, so my rating is almost back to where it was before, anyway. Luckily it stopped when it did, though. I was prepared to scrap everything and start over under a new name...

I keep hearing terrible stuff about Vella, now. Refunded 50 read stories? The same sort of thing they're doing with audiobooks. Of course, I am Amazon only, so that's my fault, in part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts