Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can I record my own reading of my books?
Or do I have to hire a studio and a professional reader?
Or what?

Thank you,
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you are a professional--both with sound recording and narration. ACX will let you find people to do it for a 50/50 profit share. If you want to retain all rights and earn a higher royalty, you can find voice talent on places like Upwork.

·
Registered
Audiobook narration / website for authors and narrators
4 Posts
Hi Jon. It is possible to do it yourself, but it's a steep learning curve, and it usually takes at least three books in before you don't cringe when you listen back later on, so maybe start with a short book and not the one that's likely to be your biggest seller. It takes around eight hours of labour to produce one finished hour in an audiobook - it's mainly the cleanup and editing to get a nice, crisp sound that takes the most time. There's a lot to learn, from a technical point of view, about recording and editing, and then how to make the files fit into Audible's strict specifications (though there is plenty of information online if you are willing to put in the time to persevere with learning).
Otherwise you can engage the services of a narrator and either pay them to do the job, or go shares with them in the profits. If your book is selling well, then narrators will be happy to share in the profits; if not, then it's a harder call, and you might have to sweeten the pot with some money up front plus a share of the royalties.
ACX.com is a great place to start reading about the process; they have some great videos at ACX University, plus there's some fairly comprehensive information on the FAQs For Authors page at NarratorList dot com, plus a page where you can list audiobook auditions if you want to gauge interest from narrators.

Reactions: Simply_Me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you are a professional--both with sound recording and narration. ACX will let you find people to do it for a 50/50 profit share. If you want to retain all rights and earn a higher royalty, you can find voice talent on places like Upwork.
Good point. I am good at narration, but probably not that good. Hopefully I can go with a profit share with ACX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jon. It is possible to do it yourself, but it's a steep learning curve, and it usually takes at least three books in before you don't cringe when you listen back later on, so maybe start with a short book and not the one that's likely to be your biggest seller. It takes around eight hours of labour to produce one finished hour in an audiobook - it's mainly the cleanup and editing to get a nice, crisp sound that takes the most time. There's a lot to learn, from a technical point of view, about recording and editing, and then how to make the files fit into Audible's strict specifications (though there is plenty of information online if you are willing to put in the time to persevere with learning).
Otherwise you can engage the services of a narrator and either pay them to do the job, or go shares with them in the profits. If your book is selling well, then narrators will be happy to share in the profits; if not, then it's a harder call, and you might have to sweeten the pot with some money up front plus a share of the royalties.
ACX.com is a great place to start reading about the process; they have some great videos at ACX University, plus there's some fairly comprehensive information on the FAQs For Authors page at NarratorList dot com, plus a page where you can list audiobook auditions if you want to gauge interest from narrators.
Thank you. That's great information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts