Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you have charged it overnight and still don't get results you can consider getting a replacement battery from Newpower99. Here's a link to their page for that Kindle:
https://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Kindle%203%20with%20Special%20Offers&gclid=CjwKCAiA6aSABhApEiwA6Cbm_xBHaKW0921dNtpp8ItFy9ZIQ3HbCYL2nylrEue-A8b3P_LY3bxkTBoCDwAQAvD_BwE

It includes a video showing just how to replace it which might help you decide if you want to do that. Keep in mind that you can get that same model Kindle from Ebay for about the same price or maybe even less.

You can also get batteries from Ebay for much less but I don't recommend that. I replaced the battery in a Paperwhite a couple of years ago and I bought a battery from Ebay for about half what the Newpower99 battery cost and it wasn't much better than the old battery. It is a LOT of trouble to replace these so if you're going to do it I strongly suggest a battery from a reliable source. I've never bought a battery from Newpower99 but they've been around for decades and they have a very good reputation. I wouldn't make the same dumb mistake I made. :)

Personally I don't think this thing is worth the effort. I'd get a replacement if you really want an older Kindle like this, or get a newer model, which are much nicer. After replacing the battery in my Paperwhite and learning just how difficult it is to do I don't think I'd do it again and that would be true even if the battery I'd used had been a good one. And the Paperwhite is a much nicer Kindle.

Barry

·
Registered
190 Posts
What are you plugging it into to charge?
If it's a wall-wart, try plugging into PC overnite, sometimes that kicks a "dead" battery into some kind of life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
barryem said:
If you have charged it overnight and still don't get results you can consider getting a replacement battery from Newpower99. Here's a link to their page for that Kindle:
https://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Kindle%203%20with%20Special%20Offers&gclid=CjwKCAiA6aSABhApEiwA6Cbm_xBHaKW0921dNtpp8ItFy9ZIQ3HbCYL2nylrEue-A8b3P_LY3bxkTBoCDwAQAvD_BwE

It includes a video showing just how to replace it which might help you decide if you want to do that. Keep in mind that you can get that same model Kindle from Ebay for about the same price or maybe even less.

You can also get batteries from Ebay for much less but I don't recommend that. I replaced the battery in a Paperwhite a couple of years ago and I bought a battery from Ebay for about half what the Newpower99 battery cost and it wasn't much better than the old battery. It is a LOT of trouble to replace these so if you're going to do it I strongly suggest a battery from a reliable source. I've never bought a battery from Newpower99 but they've been around for decades and they have a very good reputation. I wouldn't make the same dumb mistake I made. :)

Personally I don't think this thing is worth the effort. I'd get a replacement if you really want an older Kindle like this, or get a newer model, which are much nicer. After replacing the battery in my Paperwhite and learning just how difficult it is to do I don't think I'd do it again and that would be true even if the battery I'd used had been a good one. And the Paperwhite is a much nicer Kindle.

Barry
Yes, I understand the "cheaper to get a new one" dilemma. Ok, so it's basically unsalvageable. Thanks for your response.

Jair-Rohm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fogeydc said:
What are you plugging it into to charge?
If it's a wall-wart, try plugging into PC overnite, sometimes that kicks a "dead" battery into some kind of life.
I plugged it into the wall over night. Nothing. I figured that if it wasn't responding to the wall charge, it most likely wouldn't respond to a USB charge. I have some experience with backup batteries in devices dying and requiring difficult and expensive replacements. It's hardly ever worth the trouble.

Thanks for your response.

Jair-Rohm

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could be a poor connection.  If you try to charge it from a PC, the PC should show a USB device connected.  If it doesn't, there could be a problem with the cable or the connector on the Kindle.  I'm not familiar with that model, but usually when you hook up a charger, the LED on the Kindle lights up orange.  If you don't see a light, It's not charging.

·
Registered
190 Posts
trkkazulu said:
I plugged it into the wall over night. Nothing. I figured that if it wasn't responding to the wall charge, it most likely wouldn't respond to a USB charge. I have some experience with backup batteries in devices dying and requiring difficult and expensive replacements. It's hardly ever worth the trouble.

Thanks for your response.

Jair-Rohm
Plugging into a computer is at least cheap & easy to try, if only for curiosity's sake (& if success, you can see what's on it).
(remember to leave the computer on & not going-to-sleep).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
One of the issues with lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries is that if you try to charge them when the battery has absolutely no charge whatever, it'll catch fire.  As a safety measure all of them have circuitry that prevents them from being charged when they're at 0 charge.

That doesn't mean that the device shows the battery is at zero.  The devices guages say they're totally discharged before they get to that point.  But when they actually have no charge at all they're lost.

Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts