Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Viola Rivard's writing blog the other day and saw that she uses Vellum for formatting. I checked it out and it looks really straight forward and not crazy expensive if you intend to use it a lot.

Does anyone have experience of it? Is it worth the money? I HATE formatting and am dreadful at it, but am not really in the position to pay someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use it and love it. Best ebook creation tool I have used yet - and I've used a lot of them! It IS pricey, but worth it IMHO. I bought a copy (got a half off deal they offered a while back). Best investment ever. Since I'm producing over a dozen titles this year, it would be crazy to pay per title. But if you're doing a book a year or so, it might be better to pay by the book instead.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I love me some Vellum. Bought it during that half-price deal a few months ago as well. It's spectacular. I hate formatting ebooks (which is funny, because I format print books for other people, for money, as a side job). There's something I find tedious and annoying about it -- and then Vellum came along and made everything simple, quick, and easy.

If it's in your price range, and you intend to use it for at least a few books per year, I'd definitely recommend buying the full program (instead of paying by the book). It's hard to go wrong with Vellum; the developers are really dedicated to making it a great program. Lots of feature updates over the past year. Don't think I'll be going back to my old ways any time soon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody - seems almost too good to be true! Shame I missed the deal, but the unlimited looks worth it if you can afford it.

I'm nearing the end of my free Scrivener trial. I can see that it's an amazing program, but I don't use half the functionality and have found it quite tricky to get to grips with. Do you think Vellum makes it redundant?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Vellum and Scrivener are like apples and oranges. Vellum makes pretty ebooks. Scrivener is amazing writing software. I'd be lost without it. Technically I suppose you could write in Vellum, but I don't know anyone who uses it that way. Scrivener has so many cool ways you can organize your stuff, lots of nooks and crannies to tuck away notes about your stories that you want to refer back to.  You can also compile in Scrivener. I don't use it for that though, and am actually thinking of buying Vellum so I can make gorgeous ebooks.  If you just want perfectly fine, well formatted books, you can do that in Scrivener and other programs.

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
I use and love Scrivener to write, but I never liked the compile feature, so even though I've been using Scrivener for years, I paid someone else to format my books. When I saw what Vellum can do for formatting I decided to buy it when they had that sale awhile back, so I don't think its redundant to have both. Scrivener to research, write, et al. and Vellum to make it all pretty for publishing.  ;D

And that feeling you're having about Scrivener is normal. I was also overwhelmed with all it can do, until I realized I don't need to master every little feature. Just start using slowly and you'll add new features. Some you'll like and use, others you won't like and won't use. I can drive well over 100 MPH in my car, but I've never done it and I'm not planning to drive that fast, but it's an option.  ;D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Vellum is much easier to format in than Scrivener (although I use Scrivener for almost everything else).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I tried Scrivener and like you I couldn't get on with all the fiddling and extra bits I just didn't need, so I went back to the faithful MS Word. I bought Vellum around book 2 of my now 6 book series, and bought the unlimited version. It's amazing. I'm on the other thread saying how great it is, but to give you an idea, I wrote in word using styles, and used to spend hours fiddling with the formatting, tearing my hair out, testing the darn thing on various devices, only for it to go completely wacky on my old kindle when it was fine on my iPad. Argh.
My Vellum process; bold, and centralise chapters, import word doc. Done. Yup. That easy. You can view a preview as you go along (awesome feature) You then add your front and back matter using Vellum's templates and export to a kindle mobi file and ePub for Nook and/or ibooks. It's so easy!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great feedback, thanks everyone. Seems like its a no brainer if you can afford it, especially if you publish at volume.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love Vellum. It's remarkably easy and fast. So much easier than Scrivener or Jutoh.

It allows you some customization: options on what chapter headers look like, scene breaks, first lines of type in chapters, your title page, that sort of thing. So your can get some different looks. Not as many as you can with other formatting programs. But I think the ease of use more than makes up for any of those limits.

It makes links so easy. In your back matter, insert a link to your book's sales page. A window pops up. You insert links to Amazon, B&N and Apple. When you export the book file, Vellum will generate a copy for Amazon with Amazon links. Copy for Apple with Apple links. Copy for B&N with B&N links. All you do is check three boxes, saying you want versions for all three vendors. Wow.

If you want to add links to a new book in all your older ones, you open the Vellum file for each book, insert your new links and cover or sales copy, hit that button to generate new files for your vendors. Done.

The instructions for use are remarkably clear. I've hardly had any questions I can't find answers to on the help pages, but twice when I did need to e-mail a question, they got back to me right away.

I feel like this program is a gift from the Writing Gods to take tedious, time-consuming work off of me and give me more time to write.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts