Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to launch a new series under this name, which is a pen name (in case the cartoon illustration avatar didn't give it away), and since I'm taking this stuff a little more seriously than the shorts I released earlier, I'm sprucing up my website. But now I've hit a roadblock. I don't particularly like this cartoon avatar I'm using at the moment. It was fine when I was just fooling around, but given the amount of work I'm putting into this new series, I feel like I need to improve it.

I know some authors just use images of themselves and figure the pen name will be enough anonymity, but I don't particularly want to do that, since the stuff I'm writing is a little spicier than I'm comfortable being associated with. I've debated using a stock image, maybe without including the face, but I'm not sure on the legality of that. I also don't want to mislead people outright, but if it's not a particularly identifying image, I feel like it might be okay.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I used the cute cartoon to the left. I thought it would be confusing to use my actual face, which is associated with another name. I don't know if it's okay to use a stock photo of a real person or not; at the least it could be confusing, if someone sees "you" on a cover somewhere!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Go check out the top 100 erotica writers and you'll see all sorts of things -- stock art lips, legs, cartoon images, sketched images.

I have more assumed names than the average spy. I do not use stock photos at all as it might turn up somewhere, but I do use side view portraits and Photoshop filtered images. People who know me in real life could easily see it was me, but the average person couldn't put those pictures with my real ones.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I use a stock image photo for my erotica pen name. I don't care if it shows up elsewhere, because even though I know some people use their real face for their erotica, my view is "lol you really thought I'd put up a real picture of myself? HA!"

I don't like the disembodied body parts and cartoons, myself. I'm creating a personable persona with my erotica that's working well so far. (Readers are encouraged to contact my pen name, and having a "real" face helps I think.) She even has her own personality that isn't quite like mine. It's like role playing!

If somebody brought up that they saw "my" picture elsewhere I would be pretty open that it's a stock image. I would also wonder if they thought that was my real name. =P

And according to the license I am using, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Maya Cross said:
I'm preparing to launch a new series under this name, which is a pen name (in case the cartoon illustration avatar didn't give it away), and since I'm taking this stuff a little more seriously than the shorts I released earlier, I'm sprucing up my website. But now I've hit a roadblock. I don't particularly like this cartoon avatar I'm using at the moment. It was fine when I was just fooling around, but given the amount of work I'm putting into this new series, I feel like I need to improve it.

I know some authors just use images of themselves and figure the pen name will be enough anonymity, but I don't particularly want to do that, since the stuff I'm writing is a little spicier than I'm comfortable being associated with. I've debated using a stock image, maybe without including the face, but I'm not sure on the legality of that. I also don't want to mislead people outright, but if it's not a particularly identifying image, I feel like it might be okay.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.
If you decide to use stock you should read the fine print. Many exclude any use that might be considered offensive or defamatory. It is easy enough to have someone (Humblenations maybe?) create vector art from an image that you like and alter it subtley enough to avoid potential legal responses. Modern vector art is near photographic but with all the advantages of vector.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use a photo of myself, but I have added a shadow and it is in half-profile, so you cannot really see it is me. Sometimes I use just a picture of my books or the avatar to the left.
I think that all of the pictures are vaguely enough, but still reflects what I am writing (some sort of historical sensual erotica/ romance).

If you want it to be you on the photos, I would crop a picture or have a photo taken in the distance; shadow profile; or from behind.
Otherwise, just go with a stock photo and hope for the best.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, thanks for the responses. Gonna play with some non identifying stock images and see what I can find I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts