Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out AT&T pulls your credit score in order to set up U-verse, and I'm not pleased about it. What do y'all do for Internet at home? Are there any GOOD options these days out there? I suppose it varies a lot by city, but I'd love to know if someone works with a company they actually like.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
I have had Cox Cable for both television and internet service for over ten years. I can't say I really like them, but they are fine and I don't dislike or resent them. Only service problem in ten years was a few days where email access was out. Annoying, but since I had no other problems for ten years, I consider it tolerable. When my cable modem had become obsolete, they sent me a new one unasked for at no charge that greatly improved my download speed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I have AT&T DSL, land line and cell phone (iPhone) service.  Never have had much in the way of problems, but . . . I still don't completely trust AT&T.  I don't know exactly what about it I don't trust.  It is either AT&T DSL or cable for internet service.  I don't have cable (or satellite) TV by choice -- OTA only ever -- so no cable internet.  I do have TiVo.  Have had it since May '04. 

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I also use Cox and have had plenty of trouble with them.  We paid for it for 6 months when we first got it waiting for them to set it up.  We had Windows NT at the time and none of their techs understood it.  I finally muddled my way through getting it working, so they didn't even fix it in the long run.  We've had intermittent troubles here and there along the way, and every one of them was a pain to deal with them through with multiple house visits where they wouldn't actually fix anything with our problems recurring within the week.  We finally bought our own modem and reran all of our cables with higher quality stuff.  We haven't had many problems since except for the occasional outage and when we do I try my best to fix it on my own since I end up having to do that when we call them anyway.

When Cox works it's really pretty great.  The service is really fast and most of my friends are pretty jealous of my download speeds.  It hurts to go try to download something at my grandparents' house on their Verizon Fios.  One of the things I'll miss most when I finally make my move to North Carolina will be my Cox internet.  I do suggest, though, if you go with Cox that you buy your own modem at the very least.  I'm not sure if it changed, but Cox supports DOCSIS 3.0, but none of their modems actually use it.  It really gives you a great deal of extra speed.

All that being said, if Google Fiber comes to my area?  I'll pay whatever disconnection fees they want to throw at me and move to them immediately.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
We have comcast for phone, tv, and internet.  They are probably not the cheapest but we are perfectly satisfied with the reliability and service.  We had Verizon for phone for a while and they were impossible to deal with. . .there were, literally, months, that we had no phone more days than we had phone.  Absolutely non-responsive when squirrels would chew through THEIR lines.  So we switched, having already been happy with comcast for tv and internet.  Overall cost ended up lower -- and we now have more channels than we used to when purchasing 'a la cart'.  So we're satisfied.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
We had something called Cable 1 when I first moved here 13 years go. Horrible. But apartments sometimes make contracts with companies, so you are out of luck. Then they switched to Grande Com and it was allright I guess, lots of outages though.
Then a new owner came along and finally broke the contract with Grande and we were able to switch to Uverse. Internet, TV and phone. Been a few years and I been really happy with them.

But since 2 days ago, we are in a mysterious outage. Some are still not back on. I just came back on this morning. It means I have no TV, no internet and no phone as it all goes through a residential router. Apparently its some issue with a Uverse server. We can't even watch stuff on the DVR. Total blackout. I expect to go down again today.

Thank the kindle gods for my kindle.  :D

But this is a very unusual thing. We haven't had any outages before. I think maybe an hour or 2 once or twice.
I can't speak to customer service as we haven't had to call them. ATT is not known for that though.  :p. We couldn't even get through when the outage happened. Hard to get a hold of them.

I have to say though that everything we stream is flawless. Netflix, Amazon instant, anything. I have no issues with the uverse internet. We use the internet plan that is in the middle, not the slowest, not the fastes. Its 12Mbps downstream. They recommend going to the 18 Mbps for streaming, but it has worked out good so far. With Uverse though you have to look at what all you do at the same time. It all goes through the same router, so if you watch HD TV on several TV's, your internet might not be as fast. Then you need a bigger plan. 

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I have Comcast(Xfinity) for cable TV and Internet access.
I keep a Verizon land line phone around and use AT&T for cell phone.
I am happy (satisfied) with all of them for the services that they provide.
I like to have my cell carrier be a different company from other services so that there is less risk of losing all connections at one time.
And I keep the land line around just in case - plus I have had the same phone number for over 35 years and just don't want to change it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also use Time Warner  for Phone, Internet, TV,DVR, the works.  It is very fast, very reliable.  The only down side I would say is that there customer service is poor, and if something breaks, it is very painful to get it fixed properly with onsite technicians.  Fortunately, it doesn't break very often so overall I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have Comcast/infinity and hate it.  If it was not for the internet I would had gotten rid of it a long time ago.  The regular tv except for the news and eagle games is dismal at best.  Their on demand plays the stupist movies or movies that I already have on disc.  I am thinking of going to foist as a new choice.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
We have HughesNet satellite. Since we live in the country (actually, we're not that remote, but our road doesn't have many houses on it), cable is not an option and the phone lines are OLD, so no DSL. Having lived with dial-up until just three years ago, we're happy with it, but you can't stream video and even a YouTube clip can take a couple minutes to load. They now have a much faster service available in our area, but since the kids live at college most of the time now, it doesn't seem necessary to pay the extra.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I have AT&T DSL, land line and cell phone (iPhone) service. Never have had much in the way of problems, but . . . I still don't completely trust AT&T. I don't know exactly what about it I don't trust. It is either AT&T DSL or cable for internet service. I don't have cable (or satellite) TV by choice -- OTA only ever -- so no cable internet. I do have TiVo. Have had it since May '04.
I have same setup, AT&T DSL and no cable. I have same feelings about trust in their specials and other stuff...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
HughesNet here, too.  I'm less than 20 miles from Gemini.  We haven't had any problems with it at all, although, like she said, sometimes the videos can be a little tedious.  Given that we have no other choice, though, it's just fine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
We have Frontier DSL. It used to be Verizon, but Frontier bought them out. Unfortunately, it is the only game in town in our area unless we want to go to satellite.
We live on a farm and though there are quite a few homes on our road, there is no cable.
My daughter has even fewer options. No DSL, no cable. Her husband doesn't want to go with satellite so they have a Virgin Mobile modem and have 3G internet access. It isn't good for streaming but it beats dial up by miles!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
AT&T DSL here... In 4 years we haven't had any issues with it and the speed is fine, even when trying to upload insanely large files. I *think* we ay $35 a month for it, but I'm not 100% sure since it's bundled in with our land line.

Before this we had Comcast and were satisfied with that as well...would have gone with it again, but it's not available in this little town.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts