Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I probably could have come up with a better title, but here is what I am wondering:
Is there any application out there that will alert you to when a book price drops on Amazon?
There are several books I would like to get, but they are too expensive (over $10, and only a dollar or two less than the DTV)
I am trying to figure out a way to remind myself that there is a book I want, but am waiting for the price to come down before I go back and purchase.  How are you all doing this, if at all?
I have thought of just keeping samples of all the books I am interested in, and periodically going thought the list, then manually going back to the Amazon website to see if the price has changed.  I saw there is something like a "save for later" option, but I don't know what that does.  Any idea are greatly appreciated.
Thinking about this has really made me wonder about a few things.  There are quite a few books on Kindle (not most, but still a bit) that are only $1-$2 dollars less than the DTV.  With so many Kindlers (if that is a word) out there saying that they wait until the price drops to $9.99 or less before buying, I wonder what it does to the sales numbers for a book in the few days following the price drop.  I would expect that the Kindle edition sales probably jump by quite a bit.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You could make an amazon wishlist, and check them later.

For me it depends on how bad I want to read it. I will buy it in DTB form depending on the book, but especially if I can get it used at a steep discount. There is always the library.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If it is a book I really,really want I add it to my wish list named "watch prices" and I just check the titles from time to time :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't used it, but I unerstand that Mysteria will alert you to availability at the price you set. (http://oscurapress.com/mysteria/cgi-bin/mysteria.cgi).

Better yetm use junglesearch.. (http://www.jungle-search.com/US/)

Also, zooalert does this as well. (http://www.zoolert.com/kindlemart/)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use this site www.shoppingnotes.com

They will send you an email when the kbooks you register change in price.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I put the books I want to purchase later in a shopping list at Amazon.  I use my wish list for the items I want to request they be made available on K.  I have not tried the shoppingnotes site, but I probably should. 

You asked if Kindlers was a word.  You will find, if you peruse the Boards, that we make up a lot of K words to suit our kindlemania. 
Happy Kindling.
deb

·
Registered
147 Posts
There have been some instance when the book first comes out that it is higher than the $9.99.  If you wait a couple to three weeks, and it goes on the best sellers list, it usually goes down to the $9.99.  This recently happened with the new Patterson book and the new Scottoline book. 

·
Registered
737 Posts
Don't assume that once a kbook is priced at $9.99 that it will stay at that price.  Several books I have watched have gone down to $9.99 for several days and then gone back up in price.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As others have suggested, using the wishlist is usually a good option. I usually just pile a bunch of books into there and check it every so often.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Amazon does allow you to have multiple wishlists.... I have one for regular stuff, one for Kindle books I want to read, and one for books that are not available for the Kindle yet.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
davem2bits said:
I use this site www.shoppingnotes.com

They will send you an email when the kbooks you register change in price.
I'll have to bookmark this site, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard Liquat Ahamed interviewed the other day, and downloaded a sample of his book "Lords of Finance" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159420182X). The sample was great, but I gagged on the $18.12 Kindle purchase price (the hardcover edition is $20.76), so I bought a used copy on Ebay, which wound up totaling about $17.00 including shipping. When I'm through, I'll re-sell it and recoup my investment. Yes, it's a hassle, but I'm not going to justify anybody's attempt at charging $18.12 for anything on Kindle, especially with the built-in limitations.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I download Samples of any book that sounds good.  If the Sample makes me want it and the price is too high, I put a hold on it at the library.  If the price comes down before the library notifies me the book is waiting for me, I buy.  If not, I get it free from the library.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ellenoc said:
I download Samples of any book that sounds good. If the Sample makes me want it and the price is too high, I put a hold on it at the library. If the price comes down before the library notifies me the book is waiting for me, I buy. If not, I get it free from the library.
I'm doing this right now with "The Strain," but there are eight holds on four books, and I want to read it NOW NOW NOW :) I'm trying to be patient!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts