Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my KDX, I haven't really noticed the difference with DTBs, but as I was looking at some of stuff today, my eyes landed on my collection of bookmarks. I LOVE collecting bookmarks - whenever I go to a bookstore and a bookmark catches my eye, I impulsively buy it. Which of course is bad for my wallet, but they're all some beautiful and unique. I have enough to own a little gift shop, and now I feel horrible that I can't even use them anymore. It's kind of depressing and silly (at the same time) really. I probably will read DTBs now and again, but my beautiful bookmarks will go to waste when I'm not. You can't exactly use a bookmark for a Kindle. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Kindle dearly, but sometimes I miss DTBs. But how about you guys? Do you miss something about DTBs?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
1. Reading in the bathtub. I know there are ways to rig and protect Trixie, but the concept still makes me too nervous.

2. Covers. I really enjoy pretty covers!

3.  Viewing pictures/charts.  I understand that the DX optimizes these features, but I have a K2, and know that sometimes these features are unviewable even when optimized. It's mostly a problem with books by humorous since they often use props and mock-ups.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Footnotes are a pain on the Kindle. To read a footnote you have to use the 5-way to move the pointer to the footnote link in the main text, click on it, then hit the "back" button when you're ready to go back. In a DTB you just move your eyes to look at the bottom of the page. It would be nice if there were some sort of keyboard shortcut to view a footnote, such as Alt-1 to go to the first link on the page, Alt-2 for the second, etc.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I agree bookmarks are really fun to collect. I miss bookplates I have a package of them I've never opened. But I'm determined to use them on some well loved hard backs. I miss personal notes from gift givers. I have a religious book I bought used that has a lovely personal note from the receivers grandmother. I miss hand written notes in the margins, but I still write notes in my cookbooks. And I agree with PP that footnotes are a PITA with kindle as is flipping to exactly the page you want, unless you have bookmarked it.

Oh and most of all is probably book covers. Kinda like how album covers have been degraded since we went high tech with small cds. I remember the days of putting an album cover on your wall.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't miss to much about dtb's. Or maybe I do except all the things I have come to love about the kindle outweigh the things I love about dtb's.

I do like having a collection to display on my big bookshelves. I guess I miss that the most.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's just say that I had been saving up for my DX for a few months, so my bookshelves were dwindling quite badly. :-\

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The smell of the pages.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I honestly can't think of a thing.

I live in a small house, and am hoping to eventually get rid of several bookcases that are full right now. I will always have a few DTBs, but hoping to be able to pare it down to one or two small bookcases

·
Registered
139 Posts
Covers.  I have been sucked in by many a pretty cover.  I am awe of cover designers and cover art.

I like to skim and flip through books, and that's easier on a regular book (I don't like term "DTB").

I love the smell, too.  And I miss browsing through a good indie bookstore for hours.

Luckily, I can love my Kindle still do all the above (just less), because I will still buy regular books-- for my library of best-loved books, for gifts, etc.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yeah... the only thing I can say I miss is the footnote thing like NogDog said.  I've gotten in the habit of noticing them coming up and having the pointer near it by the time I get there... it's sort of become automatic if not second nature.  Besides that... can't say I miss the dust jackets or the sticky pages or the awkwardness of a thick book.  I don't miss the covers or displaying them either because if it's a book I want to do that with I buy the physical copy as well.  That way I can get the best physical version and not worry about ruining it while reading it.  This way I also don't have to have my leatherbound copy of "The Aeneid" and "The Canterbury Tales" sitting on the shelf next to "Help!  A Bear is Eating Me!" or something equally as fluffy and silly.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I also miss the cover art, and also the summary on the back or front flap.

I don't mind footnotes on the Kindle at all, though; I actually find it easier than finding the proper one at the bottom of the page, or, even worse, at the end of the book.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Dona, you crack me up. 
deb

·
Registered
364 Posts
MichelleR said:
1. Reading in the bathtub. I know there are ways to rig and protect Trixie, but the concept still makes me too nervous.
Zip Trixie into a quart-sized ziploc bag. Perfect protection for reading in the tub. I use it for the pool all the time.

I miss being able to read the last couple of pages when I'm about 1/4-1/3 through the book.<G>

I also miss browsing my library for the next book I want to read. Looking through the Home page just isn't the same. Especially since I have 37 pages of books...

Sharyn

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Boy is that the truth on the spelling. I've noticed many spelling errors. Today I'm missing the excellent contrast my DTBs have. Nice white or near white paper and black text.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I miss the ability to go to a used book store or to Amazon.com and purchase a second-hand copy of a book in like new condition for only a few dollars (if that).  There are no "used" prices on Kindle.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I still buy super discounted used books. A lot of book I want to read aren't on kindle anyway, and some topics or formats are not really kindle compatible. Art and design books come immediately to mind. And while I am making a digital cookbook of my favorite recipes I'm still buying print cookbooks and magazines. Sorry I like color and pretty pictures. It's 2009 not 1950. Black and white is fine for text only but I am not limiting myself to just black and white e books.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts