Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Looks good - I like it a lot. My only suggestion might be to change the Kindle and B&N logos for the ebook versions. The arrow is very "Amazon" but I don't recall ever seeing it with a pinkish K above it, so not as readily recognizable. Same with the pinkish Nook horseshoe shape...if I look at it I can figure out that it means for the Nook, but the B&N logo is more immediate. Or is it a trademark issue that prevents using them? In any case, I still like it.

My 2c.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Andrew Biss said:
Looks good - I like it a lot. My only suggestion might be to change the Kindle and B&N logos for the ebook versions. The arrow is very "Amazon" but I don't recall ever seeing it with a pinkish K above it, so not as readily recognizable. Same with the pinkish Nook horseshoe shape...if I look at it I can figure out that it means for the Nook, but the B&N logo is more immediate. Or is it a trademark issue that prevents using them? In any case, I still like it.

My 2c.
Yeah, the K and N are too "mystery meat." (Mystery meat is actually a graphic design term.)

Everything is quite nice overall, though. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Andrew Biss said:

My 2c.
I had the same reaction for a second, but I pretty much assume K for Kindle, maybe because I own one and love it to death? Either way, it was confusing for a second.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Dalya said:
Yeah, the K and N are too "mystery meat." (Mystery meat is actually a graphic design term.)

Everything is quite nice overall, though. :)
LOL! And yes, I recall learning about mystery meat at my art school back in the day. (From the dinner ladies).

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
robin_hart said:
I had the same reaction for a second, but I pretty much assume K for Kindle, maybe because I own one and love it to death? Either way, it was confusing for a second.
Yeah, you don't want them taking that second. Hook and reel in :D

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. I had the designer create new icons for the Nook and Kindle that she just put up incorporating your suggestions (no more mystery meat!), and I think this new set works better.

I do have clickable covers on the landing page for the bookshelf to take you to each individual book page, but clickable covers doesn't really work to show the available retailers. Like Andrew Ashling said, I wanted it obvious at a glance where people can buy the book, since many people have a preferred vendor. (And as a trademark attorney, I understand the power of logos...it's what I do for a living!)

The clickable book covers works for Amanda Hocking because she has different covers for the various foreign editions (that's what I see on her website -- different covers for different editions), but I don't have different editions. I have one edition in different formats, so if I did covers for each buy-link it would be a see of the same cover over and over again!  :D

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and Dan -- thanks! I'd put in the takedown request through Smashwords for iBooks and didn't realize it had gone through already. Wow, that was fast!

My brand new Mac Mini arrives tomorrow, so I'll have to hurry up and put up my own direct-to-Apple version ASAP!

·
Registered
797 Posts
The buttons look great.

The only issue I have is that when you click on them, it loads the Amazon window in the same window.  As in...right over your web page.  It does not open a new tab. 

I would suggest having the buttons open a new tab (or window).  That would leave your website in one tab and your book on Amazon (or whatever store) in another tab.  You don't want your visitors to click on a vendor, lose your web page, then get to Amazon and get lost surfing around and forget about you entirely.  Yes, I am ADHD, but I do that ALL THE TIME.  I start with an author page, and the next thing I know, I'm reading about 16th Century England and I can't remember the author's name and I can't go back to their web page, because, well....it is gone!

On the flip side, if you keep your web page open on one of their tabs, they can do 40 million other things and then go to close windows and suddenly find you all over again.  Oh wow! I forgot about this lady!  (And, yes, I do that all the time too.  Damn ADHD.)

Some people don't like pop ups or new tabs.  But I disagree.  You want to leave your home page hanging around your viewers computer for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts