Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having a contest to either get readers to sign up to my author newsletter (here -- hint, hint), or to increase my twitter followers (here -- hint hint).

Here's the idea: the prize for the giveaway (announced on Twitter) will be a box of twenty paperback scifi books.

Now, I'm a dedicated Kindle reader, and much prefer an eBook, but many still like paper books, and free is free, right?

The next thing is where do I get the books. Well, I visit a lot of rummage sales and garage sales. Now, hold on, I know what you're thinking: Moldy, smelly, smoking, crumbling books. No, there are a lot of books that are in new condition. And I would make it clear that they are not brand new books.

Or, would other authors want to donate books for this (probably not)??

I got the idea from Nick Stephenson.

So, what do you think of this idea? Any of you done this?

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My experience has been that people do not respond to "small" prizes at all. If you want to entice people to sign up you will have to dangle a bigger carrot before them than a stack of used books-many of which they may already own, or which they may not even be interested in. I agree with Heather, offering a Kindle, even if it's only a $79 value, might be much more exciting for folks and get them into the action.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark at Marble City said:
I prefer to offer a Kindle once a year to boost my list - they're not so expensive these days. 8)
Do you actually purchase the Kindle and mail it, or just email the winner an Amazon gift card?

·
Registered
483 Posts
As others have said, this would not be a contest that would entice me. First of all, used books sort of ick me out, and it sounds like you're just going for quantity instead of quality.

I usually tie in a "sign up for my newsletter" as an option for bigger giveaways (i.e. they can also enter with a tweet, follow on social media, etc.), and that tends to work well.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the books idea isn't so great, but here's a problem I see with offering a Kindle: It's not targeted. That is, if I run a twitter contest for a new Kindle, it's true that most of the entrants will be readers, but they won't be sci-fi readers. Many will enter even if they don't read much. They'll just want to enter to win something expensive. If I used the contest to grow my mailing list, a lot would probably unsubscribe right after the contest.

Your thoughts? Any ideas for a prize that would appeal to only sci-fi buffs?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am a sci-fi nut, and I already have a Kindle. I suspect most of us do. What about a different gadget? Errr ... not coming up with anything ... or hey, what about a subscription to F&SF or Asimov's, or both? I would like to have those, but not enough to pay for them myself. I would enter a raffle to get those.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Felix R. Savage said:
I am a sci-fi nut, and I already have a Kindle. I suspect most of us do. What about a different gadget? Errr ... not coming up with anything ... or hey, what about a subscription to F&SF or Asimov's, or both? I would like to have those, but not enough to pay for them myself. I would enter a raffle to get those.
Excellent idea, thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
TromboneAl said:
I agree that the books idea isn't so great, but here's a problem I see with offering a Kindle: It's not targeted. That is, if I run a twitter contest for a new Kindle, it's true that most of the entrants will be readers, but they won't be sci-fi readers. Many will enter even if they don't read much. They'll just want to enter to win something expensive. If I used the contest to grow my mailing list, a lot would probably unsubscribe right after the contest.

Your thoughts? Any ideas for a prize that would appeal to only sci-fi buffs?
You could load it with a couple of low-cost ($2.99 or under) genre books that are similar to yours. Or, I also like the idea of a free magazine subscription. And I know someone who did a giveaway where they gave away a copy of their book and a popular book similar to theirs. So that way, even if people weren't enticed by their book, they could still enter to win a recent bestseller and if they read the bestseller and liked it, and believed the author when they said their work was similar, then they might be more willing to read the authors work. And hopefully, as long as you aren't spamming or sending out multiple messages a day/week, then they might find unsubscribing not worth it.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about this: "Win any book on Amazon under $25."

This would be either for my once- or twice-a-month newsletter (to which no one has signed up yet) or for a twitter contest.

·
Registered
339 Posts
TromboneAl said:
How about this: "Win any book on Amazon under $25."

This would be either for my once- or twice-a-month newsletter (to which no one has signed up yet) or for a twitter contest.
That would work, too. And you could advertise it with pics of suggested books that are bestsellers in science fiction.

I cam back to say that a subscription to Discovery or Astronomy magazine might work even better than Asimov's. But if you really want sign-ups to your newsletter, I think you have to promote the giveaway beyond Twitter. I've heard people say good things about Rafflecopter. And Nick Stephenson recommends KingSumo, installed on your own website.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts