Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Knowing how awesome and experienced you guys and gals are *insert shameless booty kissing emoticon* I wanted to see what you thought of the cover.

NOTE - she literally sent this over JUST to see if she was going in the right direction.

My book is about a post-cataclysmic world where Genetically Modified Humans have systematically killed off most of the "Organic" humans in a very well thought out strike.

Libby (the protagonist) lives about 150 years after this "Cataclysm" happened.

The book would be very soft-core scifi, almost along the lines of urban fantasy.

I don't really want to go off on a tangent, but feel free to ask me any questions regarding my storyline and how it will affect the cover.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
From what you've described I think it fits the book perfectly. I like it a lot, though I must confess I'm not in love with the font.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I like it. It immediately brings to mind the Maximum ride series for me. Between the DNA strand and the swash through the silhouette and the silhouette itself. The swash looks almost like wings, but not exactly like wings, but it all combines into making me think of Max which sounds like it may be the same genre and may appeal to similar readers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a photographer I prefer the second cover because the female silhouette is looking forward into the image and it makes for a more pleasing composition. Also - and bear in mind this is a matter of personal taste - I would straighten the titles and go for a different colour scheme - perhaps blue or even red to represent the bloodstream.

Of course all my covers are monochrome give or take a few blobs of color :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I like the pics a lot, but I think changing up the font would be a good idea. Maybe a nice sci-fi looking sans serif? I know of a couple that might work for you -- can't think of the names right now, but I can look them up when I get home after work, if you're interested.

My only other nitpick would be to suggest making the silhouette of the girl and the ground a bit bigger. But that's just my personal preference. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help - you guys rock!

The slashes might be the watermarking and possibly won't even be there in the finished product.

I, also, am not in love with the font. Thinking more blocky? Should my name or the name of the book be bigger?

Ummmm - what else.

I don't really want to highlight the post-cataclysmic world do I? It is not really the main point of the story.

The main point is the protagonist coming to terms with her own DNA and dealing the the GenHums (Genetically Modified Humans) in her world.

I already know I am cross-posting, but oh well.

I DO like the DNA swath as that is what started this whole thing. Tinkering with DNA to make humans (fertility rates in the future were so abysmal, science "had" to intervene)

Did I mention you guys are awesome?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I feel like the designer did a good job in conveying the story. I'm not crazy about that color green, I find it unappealing. The DNA strand in the background reminds me of a high school textbook, but I don't know if there are more photogenic DNA strands in the photostock world.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative. On a very positive note, when I read your blurb I thought ... "Oooh, this book sounds AWESOME," and again, I am getting those story elements.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi!  Getting the first cover draft is exciting, isn't it?  

My comment is about the font size.  I think the book title should be larger than the author name.  As it is "Modified" looks like a sub-title.  In fact I read it this way and had to look at it twice.  Now in the thumbnail, this might not be a problem because the potential buyer will have the title from the Ama/BN/Kobo sales page.  Still, I think it is worth switching them, especially since it is a series, and the other covers will tie them all together.

The positioning of the girl on the left seems more balanced to me, but the issue of the font size is the one that tripped me up when I first looked at it.

Good luck!

Li

·
Registered
293 Posts
But wait-- There's more!

I just took another quick look.  I like the larger figure better, perhaps on the left?

Li

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was also thinking of the color blue. (not big on green) I will have to see what she can do.

That and definitely changing the font just not sure to what.
I am not sure the typography should scream **SCI-FI** because it is honestly the only sci-fi it has in it is the genetically modified DNA. No other worlds, no crazy weapons, etc.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My thoughts:

I think the basic layout and images are good.

I prefer the second cover with the darker top half, but would prefer the larger girl on it (still looking left instead of right). I don't like that colour green at all, though. It looks really muddy on my screen and unappealing. I'd prefer something more vivid.

Lastly, I think you need a sans serif font (or two) with a subtle science fiction vibe to it for your titles and author name.

Hope that helps!

Rue

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
AnnMHammond said:
Should my name or the name of the book be bigger?
I'd flip what you have now and make the title bigger, your name smaller. It's fine, I guess, if you have a famous name with a huge fanbase, but otherwise it can just be distracting, as someone else mentioned. And maybe just a cleaner font than the one you have now, which also seems to be on some weird italicized slant.

But again, overall I find it very intriguing and it definitely catches my attention. Great title, too.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I like the feel of the top one.  Another font would be OK, although I have no suggestions.  Personally, I like the green.  It brings out the sci-fi effect very nicely.  I wouldn't go with red.  This isn't about blood.  It's about genetic modification.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice! This board is the best thing ever. Seriously.

OK - so I am going to ask my designer to:

1. Change the color to blue if possible.
2. DEFINITELY change the font.
3. Flip my name for the title (aka make the title bigger than my name).
4. See if I can have the bigger version of the silhouette on the left side.

I will update when I get them!

Thanks again  ;D

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Both covers convey genre, so they are successful that way.

Aesthetically
- the color is a bit khaki for my liking. I'd like more "pretty" colors, with teal or vibrant orange
- instead of the shadow of the girl (which is awkward because we don't see enough of her arms for it to be the best stock), i'd love to see an option with just her profile
- I think I'd prefer up-down font not at a slight angle, but I might just be being angle-ist.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dalya said:
Both covers convey genre, so they are successful that way.

Aesthetically
- the color is a bit khaki for my liking. I'd like more "pretty" colors, with teal or vibrant orange
- instead of the shadow of the girl (which is awkward because we don't see enough of her arms for it to be the best stock), i'd love to see an option with just her profile
- I think I'd prefer up-down font not at a slight angle, but I might just be being angle-ist.
The slant is really annoying to me as well. It is funny because that is actually how I write and I think it is really pretty, but it just doesn't go well on a book cover (to me anyway).

I am really hoping she can change up the color

I do like the abstract aspect of the cover and I told her specifically I did not want to be able to see the girl very well. I love to create what the characters look like based off what the author writes. I wouldn't want to take that away from my readers.
Ya know......if I get any :p

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I won't repeat what others have said but my first response was how dark it is. Have you checked it on a Kindle to see how well your image comes up? Besides the white text the yellow background looks very dim, amongst other silhouette images. I would brighten it right up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts