Kindle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
tubemonkey said:
Lose the browser, WiFi, 3G, keyboard, LCD navigation panel, touch screens, etc.
They already have that. It's called "Kobo". . . .and is very well priced. . . folks who've used 'em have been happy with 'em.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
They already have that. It's called "Kobo". . . .and is very well priced. . . folks who've used 'em have been happy with 'em.
In light of K3, Kobo 1 is overpriced and under spec'd.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
calypso said:
solar powered/charging (just like the calculators)
Oooh … good point, I forgot about that one. With the low power consumption of e-Ink, it just might be a possibility someday soon too. Even though the battery life is incredible as it is, removing the need for charging or replacing batteries completely would be a killer feature. It would be psychologically powerful -- since it would be pretty much self-contained and self-powered, like a paper book.

It would also help extend its reach even to places without reliable electricity.

·
Registered
205 Posts
calypso said:
solar powered/charging (just like the calculators)
Speaking of calculators, I'd like to see ereaders come with a hard slide-on cover similar to the style used for graphing calculators. That would provide the necessary protection needed for the screen when slipped into a neoprene case. I don't like covers and prefer "naked" ereaders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a K2i, and I won't be upgrading until either it breaks, or a new Kindle comes out that supports ePub and library books.  That'll be at least K4, so maybe color screens will be standard by then.  I'm not craving for color that much, but I wouldn't mind color, either. 

Since I have absolutely no problem with K2's contrast, the only thing that really seems like an upgrade with the K3 is the doubled battery life.  The extra storage is nice, too, but not really a factor for me since I doubt I'll ever come close to filling the K2's storage.     

·
5,880 Posts
tubemonkey said:
Speaking of calculators, I'd like to see ereaders come with a hard slide-on cover similar to the style used for graphing calculators. That would provide the necessary protection needed for the screen when slipped into a neoprene case. I don't like covers and prefer "naked" ereaders.
Great idea - I keep saying some sort of cover should be included as standard and that seems like a good compromise.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the K15 I'd like it to be a little device I can clip on to my glasses and it projects the book in front of my eyes. For the K16 they would link it to your flying car so it wouldn't work while drive/flying.

For the K23 it would be built into a contact lens.

For the K45 it would be part of the software that you get with that chip socket behind your ear. ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
amafan said:
I want direct links to scientific and technical pubs so we can follow links directly to the latest news in our field of study or occupation. What about you?
1] Break resistant screen. Plastic logic has a first gen on this but who wants to walk around with a bilboard all day. Thing is huge. I'm really, really worried that **crunch** day is right around the corner.

2] 8" screen option. I'd like to see a 6", 8", and 10" Kindle Family of e-readers. 6" screen (or something about the size of a 3x5 index card) always seemed too small a screen to my poor eyesight. On the other hand, the DX's footprint is too large to carry about all day. I think something like an 8" screen (about the size of a paperback) would be a good compromise.

Sterling
92.5% Pure

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tom Wood said:
For the K45 it would be part of the software that you get with that chip socket behind your ear. ;D
You laugh, but after reading Neuromancer by William Gibson many years ago, I am convinced that the convergence of everything will eventually result in implanted electronics. Maybe not in my lifetime, but within the next 50 years.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If they could come up with additional support for the operating system where you could name your preferences re how the book lists appear. Title, Author and Most Recent almost is enough. But when you sort by collections and have books and collections sorted by alpha order and have to come up with different naming conventions to name your collections, then something else is needed.

For example, if there was a Preferences or Options place on the Menu where you could go in and check boxes the way you'd like things sorted.  Collections by Alpha Order, for example.

I'm rambling at this point, but it was all making sense in my head a minute ago.  ;D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tom Diego said:
You laugh, but after reading Neuromancer by William Gibson many years ago, I am convinced that the convergence of everything will eventually result in implanted electronics. Maybe not in my lifetime, but within the next 50 years.
I'm not laughing, just acknowledging that I'm pushing the boundary on the original question. I read Neuromancer and Snow Crash a while ago too. I'm working on a story that involves the ear-socket idea, and what that world would look like during the transition.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The K3 pretty much nailed most of my wants.

However, I agree with other posters on format issues. Ditch the DRM, open up ePUB, library book support, etc.

A truly open and format-agnostic reader with Amazon's catalog behind it would destroy all other comers.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts