Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The KDP paperback Cover Template at
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/cover-templates
requires Trim Size, Page Count, Paper Colour.

What do they mean by 'Page Count'? Do they mean
a) the number of numbered pages?
b) the number of leaves (= folios = pairs of numbered pages)?

That is, if I have 100 numbered pages in my paperback book, do I enter 100, or 50, to get the correct template for my paperback?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The print program needs page count so the spine will be wide enough.  The more pages, the wider the spine. You can go to the format part of the printing, and tell it the page count - every page, blank or not - and it will tell you the spine size required. Otherwise, it could overlap, or underlap the front and back cover.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes, it's the exact page count of the document as reported by your Word stats or PDF. In Word, it's located in the same box as your word count.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Lady Runa said:
Yes, it's the exact page count of the document as reported by your Word stats or PDF. In Word, it's located in the same box as your word count.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can use the length of the document in Word. It has to be the properly formatted manuscript page count, not the raw manuscript length in Word. So, either the PDF that you create on your own in a formatting program, or the formatted file that the KDP dashboard makes for you when you upload your Word document. But not the plain Word file itself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A print version is the number of pages in your print book, including blanks, front matter, back matter. 

The Kindle version will change pages according to its algorithm unless you create print version first.  Then it will use print count.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can use the length of the document in Word. It has to be the properly formatted manuscript page count, not the raw manuscript length in Word. So, either the PDF that you create on your own in a formatting program, or the formatted file that the KDP dashboard makes for you when you upload your Word document. But not the plain Word file itself.
Yes you are wrong. :) KDP provides templates which are properly formatted to the trim size you have chosen. Once you edit your file in there, your local word file will give you the exact page count since you have formatted correctly thus the information will be adapted. You can try it out yourself: change the size of your paper in the setting and you will notice that it changes the page count.

Also dont forget that you need to reformat / rerun things like TOC etc if you did not start out with the right trim formatting of the file.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Nicole Simon said:
Yes you are wrong. :) KDP provides templates which are properly formatted to the trim size you have chosen. Once you edit your file in there, your local word file will give you the exact page count since you have formatted correctly thus the information will be adapted. You can try it out yourself: change the size of your paper in the setting and you will notice that it changes the page count.

Also dont forget that you need to reformat / rerun things like TOC etc if you did not start out with the right trim formatting of the file.
The only KDP template I use is for the cover file.

From where I stand, Shayne is correct. I format my Word doc for print, which provides me with a final page count. I am the one that gives KDP that info. Format in Word, covert to PDF and upload. And that is the print length that shows up on my Kindle editions.

I'm thinking Nicole is probably right too, it's just a different method.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Nicole Simon said:

I'll take your word for it. I use Vellum to format, which is why I wasn't sure.

Having said that, though, it's not just a matter of using the basic page count in Word, and it would have been a good idea if the person who made the comment had clarified that you need a special template, because people will read that, not knowing there's a difference, and be trying to use the regular old manuscript page count. Which is a PITA, because then they come back to the cover designer and complain that the print cover doesn't fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts