Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure this out for some time now and have decided that it's very difficult to try to assign a sense to a medium that completely lacks any perception of that sense save for what is delivered to us in dialogue or smells we should already know.  So that got me thinking about what the different characters would smell like as well.  Tennant would probably smell like his leather coat and something bright and energetic, Matt Smith for some reason I feel would smell like old books and maybe something a bit sweet like custard or cookies.  Anyone else got any ideas for scents from Doctor Who?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I should like the TARDIS to smell of jasmine and oranges, and perhaps a hint of old books.

And that hot electronic smell ...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
We discuss these kinds of things all the time at the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab forum. The consensus is that the TARDIS smells of ozone, machine oil, dusty books, a bit of Timelord funk (probably some musk), metal and a whiff of a companion's perfume.

·
Registered
539 Posts
And Jelly Babies, don't forget Jelly Babies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I've been trying to figure this out for some time now and have decided that it's very difficult to try to assign a sense to a medium that completely lacks any perception of that sense save for what is delivered to us in dialogue or smells we should already know. So that got me thinking about what the different characters would smell like as well. Tennant would probably smell like his leather coat and something bright and energetic, Matt Smith for some reason I feel would smell like old books and maybe something a bit sweet like custard or cookies. Anyone else got any ideas for scents from Doctor Who?
I think you mean custard and fish sticks. :D

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have always wondered if there's a bathroom with a shower in there somewhere. In the Tom Baker years they showed some of the other rooms but they never do now. Anyway, an enclosed space with people in it who don't get a chance to wash much can smell a little funky.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
MeiLei nailed it.  The Tardis smells of electricity and lubricants.  Probably strongly, so many of the systems are a bit haywire, why should ventilation be any different?

I wonder what some of the aliens smell like?  The Ood in particular.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I get the impression of oiled leather and brass polish from the Matt Smith/Moffat Tardis.  9/10's Tardis was more greased metal and burnt plastic.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was trying to figure out a Dalek smell.  I'm curious about the different companions too.  Especially Sarah Jane who is the only one I can remember them mentioning actually using perfume in the show.  I seem to remember Tennant's doctor liking some sort of fruity, tropical shampoo or something from one episode but I can't remember which one to save my life.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Well now we just this season saw the Tardis as a very pretty lady.
So I would suspect that she has a tantalizing perfume that at least the Doctor can smell....and we know that he has always talked to "her" affectionately.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
geoffthomas said:
Well now we just this season saw the Tardis as a very pretty lady.
So I would suspect that she has a tantalizing perfume that at least the Doctor can smell....and we know that he has always talked to "her" affectionately.

Just sayin.....
And we have confirmed a swimming pool, so there'd be a faint chlorine smell.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Doctor can probably concoct whatever scent he wants... depending on the day or hour. Gasoline for morning, lilacs for afternoon, whatever...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Time and relative disinfectant in space.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts