Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is an email I got today. I have not signed up and hadn't heard about Publishdrive before. Can anyone tell me what this is about? Thanks.

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Publishdrive exists, based in Hungary, but you have to be signed up with them and have provided ePub files, so the email sounds strange . Maybe someone has copied your books and set up an account with them, but saying that, how would they have your e-mail if a scammer had set up an account?. If you are through such as smashwords or one of the other distributors, maybe you are signed up through them? Check the email header to find the source. I'd be careful in any correspondence not to give away any private details other than to say as the copyright holder they do not have your permission.

I'm thinking it could be just a marketing ploy for you to research them and to contact them and maybe to sign up with them if you are not exclusive to Amazon. They claim to have 100,000 authors on their books and a reach of 70 million readers around the world if that is to be believed.

Whatever, someone is casting out a fishing line waiting to reel you in.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
She's never heard of publishdrive. Why would they be doing anything with her books?
Al is a he last time I checked. OK so I misread that. But if he got that email, he would have opened an account at some point, maybe a few years ago when they first started. Everyone who has an account got that email. It's legit.

Maybe he should try signing in, because he'll probably find that he can, and/or that a password recovery for his email address delivers an email.

It's dead easy to forget that you have an account somewhere. I discovered the other day that I have a Tumblr account, apparently. I forgot about it and certainly never did anything with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pronouns are so slippery these days. Not sure how I grabbed the wrong one. :)

I really think your advice is off the beam — these days, ANY email you get that has the faintest tinge of mystery should be treated with great care. Phishing has gotten enormously sophisticated and Al's email may have been pulled from a web sweep that found him in other self-publishing lists.

One click is enough to infect your system and everything (everyone) on your network. Never assume emails like this are somehow legit or benign, and never just click on through to see what's up. Never. At a minimum, hover on the links and see if they come up with legitimate addresses, not ones masked and rerouted and from bogus domains.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying Al should click on any links in the email, just that he can go check to see if he has an old account there. I think I may have one myself, though I haven't seen any emails from this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts