Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides Kindle books?  For me..  it is fountain pens and Noodlers Ink colors...  I have a pen fetish and I LOVE fountain pens....  I have about 15 so far but only really use 4 or 5 on a regualr basis.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I collect cows...you'd be amazed at how many cow ornaments I can find each year ;-p Also, thimbles which I started collecting when I was 12...my collection has probably grown to almost 200 over the years. I'm always on the lookout whenever I travel.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I collect old Nancy Drew books...the really old ones, from the 30s and 40s, before they were all rewritten in the 50s. I am still searching for a really old one with an original dust cover. I got one from 1947 at an antiques fair last spring but I want The Secret of the Old Clock or The Hidden Staircase.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:
I collect old Nancy Drew books...the really old ones, from the 30s and 40s, before they were all rewritten in the 50s. I am still searching for a really old one with an original dust cover. I got one from 1947 at an antiques fair last spring but I want The Secret of the Old Clock or The Hidden Staircase.

L
Wow...I remember reading those as a little girl. I loved those books!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:

L
OMG! as a young girl, I had the whole series and the Hardy Boys as well...... wow - you have just "kindled" some great old memories!

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is gonna sound a bit wierd, but one of my favorite things as a kid was geography.  So as I grew, I started to collect maps.  Usually they are of the entire world, but I also love my extremely large map of the US...and another of DC metro that held a lot of memories for me with every stain, tear, and tape repair. :D  Other things that I tend to collect besides books are DVDs, gadgets, and...

You know when you travel and see there are little trinkets at the gift shops.  Have you seen those small license plates shaped zipper pulls?  Yeah, I collect those.  I can never find one with my name (my name is uncommon but not unusual), but I still get them.  So far I've got a small handful, but they are not around everywhere...they just tend to pop up here and there.

Tris

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I too had all those Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, but alas my garage sale mom sold them all years ago!  :'(

Besides books, I collect angels, Willow Tree figurines and frogs (not live ones). I also have a small collection of Nativity sets (5 or 6) that were all gifts. My favorite one is the one from Willow Tree that I got as an early Christmas present from hubby a couple of years ago. HHHMMM... maybe I need to remind him of that and he won't make me wrap my Kindle up on Friday to save until Chirstmas!!  :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
When I lived overseas in Japan while in middle school, I collected different socks. Knee highs, thigh highs, toes socks...socks with different designs and characters. I had socks with various stripes and colors. Winnie the pooh socks. Pokemon socks. I had rainbow socks too. I don't collect socks any more, becuase I never could have any interesting designs when I returned to the US.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Angela said:
My favorite one is the one from Willow Tree that I got as an early Christmas present from hubby a couple of years ago. HHHMMM... maybe I need to remind him of that and he won't make me wrap my Kindle up on Friday to save until Christmas!! :D
There you go, Angela, precedent has been set!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I collect,  (or used to) Stangl Birds,  Antique Dolls,  Hatpins, Antique Pitchers, and other things too numerous to mention.  I must say though at the ripe old age of 76 I mostly sit still and collect dust.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
First - Octochick - LOVE it!!  Very cool, totally my aesthetic. 

Other than books, I'm a complete music freak.  I don't even know how many CD's I have (and my fiance is a musician, so between the two of us it's out of control).  If I hit play on my itunes playlist it would play straight for 52 days.  He's a book collector too, so our cd and book collection takes up a whole room!! 

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
I collect musical instruments.  My first instrument was a flute which has since been passed on to my niece.  Don't worry, I have another.  Then I got a guitar.  This was high school.  About ten years ago I figured out that I'd only get better on guitar if I had a better guitar.  So I got a Martin D16.  Have since gotten a 12 string and my husband built me a Carver bass guitar from a kit.  Oh, and I have a Little Martin that's easy to carry around. . .had a Martin backpacker but passed that on to a friend who needed a small instrument.

At some point I also acquired a banjo, an ancient but still in good shape mandolin from my father in law, a cuatro (puerto rican stringed thing), a mountain dulcimer my husband built from a kit, my mother's violin -- quite a good instrument, wish I could play it better, and my father's violin. . .not as good an instrument but it looks nice so it decorates my wall.  My husband got me a balalaika for Christmas one year just for fun. . .also decorates the wall.

I also have a piano. . .and many other wind instruments including the flute mentioned above, tin whistles in at least 6 keys, a recorder and something called Xaphoon (go ahead, google it) which has a way cool sound.  I also recently convinced my aunt that I would take very good care of her 80 year old silver plated alto saxophone.

I don't count the kazoo or slide whistle.

I also tend to pick up 'native' instruments when I go places.  I have a hawaiian whistle, a couple of Carribbean whistles, a wooden fife, and a bagpipe chanter.

I think that's it. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
We also have a musical instrument collection at our house, but it's my fiance.  He was in a band for 10 years and is also a composer, I believe he has somewhere around 15 guitars, plus some mandolins, banjos, a Churango (Mexican guitar, I think), probably around 20 amps, plus a whole shelf of fun quirky instruments.  Our basement is literally music gear, books, and CDs!! 

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dori said:
I collect, (or used to) Stangl Birds, Antique Dolls, Hatpins, Antique Pitchers, and other things too numerous to mention. I must say though at the ripe old age of 76 I mostly sit still and collect dust.
Oh Dori...that's just too funny!

Besides books, I collect elephants of all different shapes, sizes and materials. My smallest one is a bejewelled porcelain one that is about an inch and a half long and my largest is a white wicker guy that is about knee high and holds a wicker tray on his back. I use that one when the Queen comes for tea.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Dori said:
I must say though at the ripe old age of 76 I mostly sit still and collect dust.
LMAO Dori...I love it!

Octochick...what a sunny room, I love it and all the colors that you put together. Brilliant! Gosh, I remember those "vintage" TV trays...what I remember about them is always catching my hand while snapping them together ;-p

Ann...googled it...what a funky looking recorder-like intrument. The sound is unique :)

I love reading about what everyone collects!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I used to collect sooooo many things, now I am trying to divest myself of all of it..... I look around my house and think "sheesh! how can two people own so much stuff."

That said, I am a sucker for gadgets, I just love them. While I can't afford to buy them all, I do make an effort to at least try everything new that comes out in a store.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am just so fascinated at the diversity of Kindle owners and our interests!  thanks to everyone that is sharing.  I read these boards with a huge grin on my face - I'm having so much fun!!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts