Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've gotten my K2, I've only downloaded and read e-books from Amazon made for Kindle. But from what I have read/heard, I understand there are other formats that I can use to read on my Kindle and other places besides Amazon to obtain books for the Kindle. Can someone enlighten me on how I can obtain other formats, what formats I can use on my Kindle, and where to get other books besides from Amazon?

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this question, and I don't know if it has been addressed before, but I'd appreciate any info/links, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Sweet-P,

You can read a variety of formats. Some of them might need to be converted but some work just fine. .prc (non-secure) and .mobi are supported. If you visit websites that sell ebooks, you should look at the FAQ and see if they discuss the Kindle, whether they support Kindle books, and which ones to buy. I've bought books from Fictionwise, All Romance Ebooks, LooseId, and Total-E-bound and they have all had books I can read without any problem or conversion hassles.

Have fun searching. I think it is a fun part of the process-- the internet equivalent of browsing the bookstore.

L

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips and links!

I found a few books in PDF form; would that work for the Kindle?

Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
PDF will need to be converted, and if it's a protected file the conversion won't work.  If there are a lot of diagrams or pictures, the resulting file might be less than satisfactory.

You can try to convert it yourself using MobiPocket Creator or something similar, or send it to Amazon at your free.kindle.com address.  They'll send it back to you and you can put it on your Kindle via the USB.  If you don't mind paying a little you can send it to your kindle.com address and they'll convert it and send it directly to your Kindle. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts