Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family likes to play board games during the holidays. Life kinda slows down after Christmas and the kids are off school, which gives us more time to play games we don't normally have time for. A few years ago I picked up the Smart A** game at Barnes and Noble and it has been a lot of fun! I would like to pick up a new game this year....anyone have a really fun game to recommend? I've heard Loaded Questions is a lot of fun. Any others?? Our kids range in age from 14-20.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts

This is, by far, the stupidest, dumbest, most ridiculous game I've ever seen. The 'kids' (13 to 28 year olds) were playing it on Thanksgiving. They were having a ball. ;D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Another vote for Ticket To Ride, everyone loves that game.  The European edition is the funnest of those I've played.  Settlers of Catan is great too, of course.  Cranium's another good one if you've got a decent group (you play in teams), although it can lead to arguments among couples and accusations of cheating if you and your partner are synced (like the time I guessed 'Coldplay' from a sketch of a coffee mug my wife hadn't even finished drawing).

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Not a board game, but we had a lot of fun with this when I was in Junior High School, and I still have my original set!
Mille Bornes
http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves-1020-Mille-Bornes/dp/B00000DMBG

I also recommend this one for more mature kids (mfr recommends ages 12 and up)--A _LOT_ of fun to play!
Illuminati!
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sports-Cards-Inc-1305SJG/dp/1556343841/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1322345723&sr=1-1

And this:
Robo Rally
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-of-the-Coast-217580000WOC/dp/B0009HLSP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1322345786&sr=1-1

(I play Carcassone, mentioned by momilp, on my smart phone and like it, I'm sure the original board game would be as good or better)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

This is, by far, the stupidest, dumbest, most ridiculous game I've ever seen. The 'kids' (13 to 28 year olds) were playing it on Thanksgiving. They were having a ball. ;D
This is what I was going to recommend too. It's a great game! :)

And Mille Borne is awesome too. I played that when I was little!

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome ideas, everyone! Most of these games are very new to me. I think the only ones listed so far that we already own is Scrabble and Apples to Apples. Lots of new ones to check out. Definitely looks like Ticket to Ride is a hit with everyone!  I'm loving all of the suggestions...keep 'em coming! 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I second the recommendation for Mille Bornes. That's always been a favorite in our family.

Reading this thread made me remember another family favorite called Facts in Five. It was a type of trivia game and lots of fun. Of course, I had to Google it and then I ended up buying a vintage 1967 version from eBay! So it looks like we'll be playing Facts in Five with the kids on Christmas.

L

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
My family is pretty easy, we normally stick to a few simple basics (and usually easy to transport when needed) -- Uno (with some modifying 'house rules' to make it more fun), and a lesser known card/dice game, Fill or Bust, which is similar to one called Farkle.  We always have a blast with those, and did again at Thanksgiving.  Another card game we like is Phase 10.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts