Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is still in progress, and I want to give the artist feedback.

On the art alone, what would be your first impression for genre?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely fantasy! And what a gorgeous cover it will make.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is a bit easier to see.

The artwork is gorgeous and definitely fantasy. Just consider what is going to be obscured by typography.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Definitely fantasy. I would think alternate world or historical fantasy though. Not urban and not litRPG unless the typography or title changed that impression somehow.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

That flying Elf Ear grounds it in most Fantasy, although the drawing style evokes Japanese animation.

It could really cover a lot of genres through the careful selection of fonts. Jagged horror font and you've got a vampire novel.

If they are editing the drawing, have them create more space at the top and bottom that blends out where titles, sub-titles, and author names can go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
High fantasy, as she's clearly some sort of elf creature. Based on the style of the cover, it would strike me as something directed at women more than men.

I only noticed she was holding swords after staring at it for a while, but overall I like it. It's very artistic.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Very nicely done, yes, fantasy

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
jckang said:
Thanks to everyone who answered!

A follow-up: would you think it was dark or light? Any romance?
Without seeing the fonts that go with it, I'd say not light, maybe adventurous with some battle scenes in there, but also not grimdark. And not romance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
jckang said:
Thanks to everyone who answered!

A follow-up: would you think it was dark or light? Any romance?
Late to the thread, but High Fantasy, or LitRPG.

It could go either way, light or dark, and yes on romance, though I would expect any romance to be secondary since there's no one else on the cover and she looks ready for a fight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For me it speaks coming of age fantasy, or young adult fantasy, because of the dragon.

Postscript: I was looking at the wrong covers. The right one looks like a manga graphic novel cover to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Light or dark is a hard call--not too light, due to the storminess of the background, but the bright colors of the clothing and relative openness on her face steer it away from grimdark. As she is alone on the cover, I don't see romance indicated, but also I wouldn't feel cheated by the cover if there was a romance included in the story. I just wouldn't expect it to be the main element.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
jvin248 said:

That flying Elf Ear grounds it in most Fantasy, although the drawing style evokes Japanese animation.

It could really cover a lot of genres through the careful selection of fonts. Jagged horror font and you've got a vampire novel.

If they are editing the drawing, have them create more space at the top and bottom that blends out where titles, sub-titles, and author names can go.

Definitely. If not for the ear, it could be super hero.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts