Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get most of my sales from Amazon, but that has changed.  Now I make twice as much money from D2D than from Amazon.

I can't help but wonder why.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
KU has killed the Golden Goose for me, as my Amazon sales hit the ceiling in July and haven't gone any higher. Glad I can still weave hay into gold elsewhere, though. My GooglePlay sales continue to grow month-over-month and will be 2x my Amazon receipts for March.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I left KU to go wide in February. I sell twice as many books at Apple than Amazon (I now have a perma-free). I've yet to gain any footing at Google or B&N, though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been noticing a constant rise of sales on other retailers ever since KU came out (except Apple, where they aren't more than 20-30 a month).  Not sure how it exactly relates, but that's definitely when it started.

G

·
Same here. D2D is rising in my figures. not significant yet, but I can see a day when it will provide a meal ticket and then continue to grow. It seems to work the opposite way to Amazon where you et a big kill in the beginning then it slowly diminished. D2D is longterm, I think.

Personally, I think Amazon dropped the ball with KU, but who knows what their long term intentions are.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
Same here. D2D is rising in my figures. not significant yet, but I can see a day when it will provide a meal ticket and then continue to grow. It seems to work the opposite way to Amazon where you et a big kill in the beginning then it slowly diminished. D2D is longterm, I think.

Personally, I think Amazon dropped the ball with KU, but who knows what their long term intentions are.
Hopefully their long term goal isn't to give us 50 cents a pay out. I must admit the books I have in KU tripled my income this month, but I'm also aware it could take a nose dive at any time depending on the payout.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I love KU as a reader and as a writer it's giving me more than I ever thought possible right now. February was my best month ever, and it looks like I have a shot of finally crossing the $50,000 per month mark in April. KU definitely isn't for everyone, but if you can hit it right, it can work for you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yea, I love KU.

I wasn't here for those golden days some of you guys speak of, but I'm doing well with KU.
It has given me more exposure, and my sales have been preety good.
Can't complain

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
YodaRead said:
I love KU as a reader and as a writer it's giving me more than I ever thought possible right now. February was my best month ever, and it looks like I have a shot of finally crossing the $50,000 per month mark in April. KU definitely isn't for everyone, but if you can hit it right, it can work for you.
Are you sticking with KU, then, Yoda? I often think when I read your posts about how much you earn that you could clean up massively and make even more than that by going wide. You're obviously extremely popular with readers, and I can't believe you'd only appeal to Amazon customers.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Lydniz said:
Are you sticking with KU, then, Yoda? I often think when I read your posts about how much you earn that you could clean up massively and make even more than that by going wide. You're obviously extremely popular with readers, and I can't believe you'd only appeal to Amazon customers.
I'm sticking with it for now. I'm not risking what would between $20,000 and $30,000 every month just in KU numbers right now. It's just not in me. What I will probably do is launch my new series (when I start it) wide and see how it goes. There's no way I would jerk everything all out right now regardless. That would be just begging for a crash.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
YodaRead said:
I'm sticking with it for now. I'm not risking what would between $20,000 and $30,000 every month just in KU numbers right now. It's just not in me. What I will probably do is launch my new series (when I start it) wide and see how it goes. There's no way I would jerk everything all out right now regardless. That would be just begging for a crash.
No, all at once wouldn't be a good idea. I was thinking more in terms of a bit at a time. I definitely think you should try going wide with something, though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
YodaRead said:
Thank you for bringing balance to the Force in these sorts of posts.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't think it's one thing, I think it's a combination of things. What I've come to realise over the last few months is that Amazon itself just isn't for many authors/publishers and genres. Perhaps that wasn't the case when fewer books were available, but it is clear now. If you're not willing to publish a book a month, nine times out of ten you'll be swallowed up by the tide of obscurity. I decided quite early on that I wasn't prepared to publish that frequently. Outside of Amazon older books are much stickier in the charts, and aren't reliant on new monthly releases. If I want to have a career writing in my preferred genre, going wide is my only option.       

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Lydniz said:
No, all at once wouldn't be a good idea. I was thinking more in terms of a bit at a time. I definitely think you should try going wide with something, though.
I've actually added shorts to my most popular series with KU in mind, so I'm not pulling that one right now. My pen name was developed with KU in mind. It's still a work in progress, but it's picking up steam. For now, I'm more than happy. I'm in the top 30 of all KU authors for my main name. I fully expect to hit the $10,000 rung in April for All-Stars. If I can get it up to the $25,000 award on top of everything else? The competitive side of me wants to see if I can. If Amazon lowers the KU payment too far, then I will start pulling (probably a series at a time). For now, though, I'm perfectly happy. Being in Select allows me to focus on my writing -- which I like. By the time January rolls around I should have four series under my pen name and five under my main name. That's my big goal right now.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I did very, very well in Select. I had a 60K month last June, my last month with a full novel released--just on Amazon. I did very well with KU, also, especially considering I had so few books out. (9 at the time.) I reached #28 in All-Star status. But then...I started noticing the cannibalization. It does work well if you're pumping out new stuff very fast, I think. But not if you're putting out a full novel every 3 months. At least that was my experience.

I went wide slowly--started pulling one series out over months, until now it's all out. My second series is still in, but will come out next month. I will be Amazon-exclusive, of course, with my Montlake series, but the rest will be out. I'm still doing fairly well with KU on the series that's in, but again--mostly borrows. And I made almost five figures just on iBooks my first full month there, so I'm hopeful that, once I finish all this darned writing-ahead and actually have some new content out, I'll get back up to those numbers.

Meanwhile, my overall sales post-pullout are stronger than they were pre-pullout, even with KU. (But again, without new content being released.)

So that's just a bit of comparison. Going wide was scary--very scary--and still is. I'm not doing as well now as I was at the beginning (free run on first book with BB etc. really helped in Dec.; also being new), and haven't gotten any traction at ALL on Google Play. I mean, gosh, I checked the other day and I think I made $12 in March! So...we'll see. But going wide a bit at a time is definitely worth a try, I think. KU has just changed the equation a lot.

If I were a different kind of writer, I'd totally be writing shorts & serials for KU. But I'm not, so...novels it is, and only the ML ones will be in there.

G

·
Lady Vine said:
I don't think it's one thing, I think it's a combination of things. What I've come to realise over the last few months is that Amazon itself just isn't for many authors/publishers and genres. Perhaps that wasn't the case when fewer books were available, but it is clear now. If you're not willing to publish a book a month, nine times out of ten you'll be swallowed up by the tide of obscurity. I decided quite early on that I wasn't prepared to publish that frequently. Outside of Amazon older books are much stickier in the charts, and aren't reliant on new monthly releases. If I want to have a career writing in my preferred genre, going wide is my only option.
I think Lady Vine is on to something. Though I have two novellas and a short story collection in KU, my next book is going wide immediately. The short story collection is coming out next. I still get borrows on the novellas, so I'm on the fence on whether to leave them in KU or not.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Rosalind James said:
I did very, very well in Select. I had a 60K month last June, my last month with a full novel released--just on Amazon. I did very well with KU, also, especially considering I had so few books out. (9 at the time.) I reached #28 in All-Star status. But then...I started noticing the cannibalization. It does work well if you're pumping out new stuff very fast, I think. But not if you're putting out a full novel every 3 months. At least that was my experience.

I went wide slowly--started pulling one series out over months, until now it's all out. My second series is still in, but will come out next month. I will be Amazon-exclusive, of course, with my Montlake series, but the rest will be out. I'm still doing fairly well with KU on the series that's in, but again--mostly borrows. And I made almost five figures just on iBooks my first full month there, so I'm hopeful that, once I finish all this darned writing-ahead and actually have some new content out, I'll get back up to those numbers.

Meanwhile, my overall sales post-pullout are stronger than they were pre-pullout, even with KU. (But again, without new content being released.)

So that's just a bit of comparison. Going wide was scary--very scary--and still is. I'm not doing as well now as I was at the beginning (free run on first book with BB etc. really helped in Dec.; also being new), and haven't gotten any traction at ALL on Google Play. I mean, gosh, I checked the other day and I think I made $12 in March! So...we'll see. But going wide a bit at a time is definitely worth a try, I think. KU has just changed the equation a lot.

If I were a different kind of writer, I'd totally be writing shorts & serials for KU. But I'm not, so...novels it is, and only the ML ones will be in there.
Yes, I think the shorts are better for KU. It really helped me, but I put out an erotica short a week, sometimes two. Even now that I'm getting into romance I'm starting off with shorts to see how it goes while I work on a longer novel. Also, I did buy Just Good Friends.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've noticed comments from readers saying they're seeing books which were there last month, now aren't, and they're having a hard time finding books they want to read. This is just anecdotal evidence from urban fantasy / PNR readers. It all depends on what you want from KU.
I'm writing a series of short novels to try out in KU. My full length novels will NEVER go back in there. I'd otherwise sell the short-novels at 99c, so KU is a no brainer. KU rewards shorts. Readers will find more and more shorts on there. It's not rocket science.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts