Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of more importance, how do I fix it? I followed Smashwords Guide and uploaded my .doc file to KDP. All is well. B&N info said I could do the same. It looked good in the test version so I hit the publish button. I don't have a Nook, so I checked it on my friend's Nook. Words are splitting at the end of a line. T at the end of a line and he on the next for The. Another example is ho at the end of a line and use at the beginning of the next line for house. This occurs multiple times. What caused this? How do I fix it?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Which version of .doc did you use? When i used word perfect to save as ms word 6 .doc it was finicky. When i saved as ms word 97/2000 .doc it seemed to work much better.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saved as Word 97-03. Yes, it is .doc and not docX. I had been told not to use the later versions of Word. Do you think I should try a new upload of the same file? Any other suggestions?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Sapphire said:
Of more importance, how do I fix it? I followed Smashwords Guide and uploaded my .doc file to KDP. All is well. B&N info said I could do the same. It looked good in the test version so I hit the publish button. I don't have a Nook, so I checked it on my friend's Nook. Words are splitting at the end of a line. T at the end of a line and he on the next for The. Another example is ho at the end of a line and use at the beginning of the next line for house. This occurs multiple times. What caused this? How do I fix it?
That's weird and horrible. I'm sorry, but I have no idea what could be causing that. It seems unlikely to me that Word would be inserting some troublesome code between the "t" and the "he" in "the," etc.

When you say you followed the Sm Guide, did you do the full "nuclear method" (saving as plain text to strip out all formatting) at the beginning?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't do the nuclear option. However, the entire manuscript was written on one computer and always in the same version of word. I followed Guidelines details to the letter, except for the nuclear option. This file works correctly on Kindle. I used the same file, changing only some wording in the front matter for the B&N upload. The interesting thing is it looked find on the online check before I hit publish. Should I find someone else with a Nook and ask them to check for me?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is strange. I do have Nook for PC on my laptop and this issue does not occur there. I'm wondering if this friend has a problem with her Nook. Is that possible? I have another friend with a Nook who I think purchased my book. I am going to ask her if this happens on her download.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: My other friend double-checked her Nook. This problem is not happening on my book for her, but she says she has encountered it in other books. She thinks it has something to do with the font size chosen by the reader. I will suggest my other friends try a different font size to see if that resolves the issue for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts