Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what happens to your published books once you die, do they just carry on over to the next of kin? What happens when the bank account associated with KDP or Amazon Ads becomes invalid? Do they unpublish your book because you failed to pay for their ads after building up a charge? Or maybe because they themselves can't pay you your royalties, they just take the book off the site? Does anyone know what would happen? Thanks!

·
Banned
34 Posts
Same thing that happens to all your properties, intellectual or otherwise... they become part of your estate to be dealt with in accordance with the terms outlined in your last will and testament

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I actually talked to Amazon about this a couple of years ago. What your heirs need to do is provide a copy of the death certificate and your will or trust establishing them as the rightful owners of the book. With those two documents, they will move your account to the heir's account. Keep in mind that the copyright stays in effect for 70 years after your death and then the heir(s) have to claim it, or your book becomes public domain.

The money from my books go into a business account, which my daughter also has access too, so as long at that account exists, she won't need to change the Amazon account. However, where it gets complicated for me is that I have two daughters and over 50 books. I asked, and Amazon said, "no," they won't divide my books into two accounts even if I specify it before I die. (I'm 76) My books are wide with all of them distributed through D2D except Amazon and Google Play. If my heirs put all the books through D2D, then yes, D2d will split them between my two daughters. So far, D2D doesn't distribute to Google Play, so that income will be up in the air.

With all my booksellers direct depositing into one business account, and a trust that splits the income equally, it keeps my daughters from having to go through all that madness after I die. Hope this helps. Marti's Books

Why do I add a link to my books? Just in case someone doubts that I speak the truth.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
RE: Inheritance of copyrighted material: AFAIK, copyrights, as a form of intellectual property, can be transferred to other people, including heirs. But an IP attorney could probably answer the question more accurately.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I wondered about that. What is the correct law and is it different in different countries?
I know of nowhere that copyright needs to be "claimed." It simply exists once a work is created for as long as the law says it does, which can vary. If your books aren't specifically left to someone in the will, then copyright for them would transfer as part of the "any remaining property" clause in the will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts