Kindle Forum banner

What I Am Reading...

11K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Leslie 
#1 ·
Maybe we can start a thread to share book recommendations from current reading lists?

Right now, I am reading the free book (still free, see link on this board) The Reincarnationist and enjoying it very much. I'm about one-quarter of the way in and I have a feeling the story is going to pick up, fast.

I am also reading Waiter Rant which started as an anonymous blog written by...you guessed it...a waiter! It is also good -- entertaining. Since I've never worked in the food service industry (except for 6 months at McDonald's my sr. year in high school) it's a little bit eye-opening as to what goes on in restaurants.

Leslie

G
#2 ·
I am reading:

Infected: A Novel
by Scott Sigler

I got it as a free PDF download and while it didn't convert perfectly, it's still quite readable. I'm about halfway through and hoping to finish it tonight. If you're a Horror fan it's a great read. I like the author's style and sense of humor.

#5 ·
The Graveyard Book was the first thing I read on my Kindle. I got the Kindle, and I hated it. It was awkward to hold, it wasn't the same as a book, and it was damn expensive. I was hell bent on returning it the very next day. But, I had seen the Graveyard Book on the recommended reading list, and reallllly wanted to read it. So, I decided I would download that to the Kindle, so I wouldn't have to wait. I downloaded it, and read in one sitting. Some time during the course of the book, I fell in love with the Kindle. It kind of shocked me, but it happened. Oh well.

#6 ·
Just finished "The Havana Room" by Colin Harrison. About to start Updike's "Licks of Love", go right to the novella and see how Rabbit's family has gotten along after his death. After that, which won't take long, I've got "Personal Days: A Novel" by Ed Park.

#7 ·
Just finished Old Nathan by David Drake (free at Baen!) Appalachian folk tales with a touch of magic.  A little strange but well written and entertaining.  Now I'm just into Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker.  Seems to be a superior Western so far.

*cush*

#8 ·
You actually get to read on the Kindle?

Part of the deal with getting my Kindle was that the paper books I had all over the house had to be whittled down.  (My husband and sons complained a lot whenever we moved).  So since I got my Kindle in August, I've read one book on it (Little Women) and just get to look longingly at it while I continue to cart around dead tree books.  *sigh*

~M

#9 ·
While I am under no mandate to finish reading my paper books, I feel I can't just abandon them. I have a couple of dozen that I had purchased before I had a Kindle. My solution is that I read on the Kindle when I'm here and there and everywhere. At night when it's time to settle into bed, I read a couple of chapters of a paper book. That book lives on my nightstand and my Kindle goes with me everywhere else. I plug it in at night and it's ready for the daily travels.

I'm currently reading Lord of the Isles by David Drake that I got free sometime in the summer. I don't normally do a lot of fantasy but so far it's not bad. A little slow going but I am beginning to wonder what the heck is going on so it's keeping me interested.

Ann

#10 ·
Arsene Lupin by Maurice Leblanc

I just started it today and I will be finished soon.  I read this book when I was a teenager and had been looking to buy a new copy for a long time.  With the kindle, I downloaded it for free from feedbooks.com.  I also downloaded the other 5 Lupin books and I will read them as soon as I am finished.

Luci

#12 ·
I'm currently reading the complete version of The Stand by Stephen King.  More back story on all the characters.  The best part of the book.

I just completed reading John Scalzi's trilogy plus The  Android's Dream.  This is a book I would never picked up without the free sample.  Android's Dream was free for awhile and that's what go me hooked on John Scalzi.  I absolutely loved it.  Then I bought the other three books, something that would have never happened otherwise.

yogini2

#13 ·
I'm currently reading three books:

1. Moby Dick (I've never read it-and I'm in my mid-60s, heh)
2. Double Star by Heinlein
3. The Secret Adversary by Christie

I've read Double Star before, but it was in the sixties. Secret Adversary I've seen on the Mystery! series on PBS a number of years ago.

My main reading is classic mystery and science fiction-i.e., pre 1980 or so. Having said that, coming up next is James Hilton's Lost Horizons and Thorne Smith's Topper.

Luci- I've got Arsene Lupin somewhere in the 25 pages of my Kindle Home page to read soon.

Yogini2- I read the second of Scalzi's trilogy last month... the third is waiting for me to get to it. Have you read any of John Stith's work? Just about everything he has written is on the Kindle, including his Hugo-nominated Redshift Rendezvous.

#14 ·
I, too, had to cut a deal (with my husband) to read all those dead tree books I have lying around, if I was going to buy a Kindle. So I'm trying to do a one-for-one: Read one Kindle book, then one dead tree book. Usually I have one of each going at the same time.

I am reading "Ten Thousand Splendid Suns" on the Kindle right now, and I just love it. It's every bit as beautifully written as "The Kite Runner" was. But it's also every bit as sad, and I'm going through a bad patch right now, so I have started reading Terry Pratchett's "The Last Hero" in paperback. It's a really LARGE paperback with beautiful colour illustrations in it -- literally, a picture book for adults. Pratchett and P.G. Wodehouse are two writers who are guaranteed to make me laugh, no matter how bad I feel.

I am also about to start re-reading "The Iliad" for the millionth time. Somehow I never get tired of that book, or "The Odyssey", and I am glad to have free copies of both for my Kindle now.

#15 ·
Someone, refresh my memory on Arsene Lupin. That sounds so familiar but I have no idea what it's about. I wonder if I read it in French back in high school?

Khabita, glad to hear you are enjoying Ten Thousand Splendid Sons. I bought that for my son since he has to read it for school and figured I'd get around to reading it one of these days. It's on my Kindle. It didn't get as good reviews as The Kite Runner so I wondering what an actual reader thought about it.

L

#18 ·
Great posts, everyone, I loving seeing what you're reading and how you like it.  Keep them coming!

I'm always reading several books at once, my current list, all (thank heavens) on Kindle:

A Brief History of Time by Steven Hawking
Caravans by James Michener
Murder by Family by Kent Whitaker
The Spy Who Stayed Out in the Cold by Adrian Havill
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud
Camille by Alexandre Dumas
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
Escape by Laura Palmer

And I'm always reading something by P. G. Wodehouse, Agatha Christie, and Lucy Maud Montgomery.  Or re-reading, I should say.

Am I the only one?  I need one for bedtime, one for daytime, one for "found time," etc.

#20 ·
Avalon,

Escape was one of the first books I read on my Kindle. It was right at the time they raided the ranch in Texas (April) so I was interested in all things FLDS. After reading Escape, I read Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer and Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall. All were good and all had a slightly different perspective on the FLDS, its history and present issues. I'd recommend them.

L

#21 ·
Leslie,

Thanks for your comments, very helpful. When I saw those ladies in their prairie dresses at the YFZ ranch in Texas, my first thought was, who cares? Not my cup of tea, but we value differences in this country, right?

Amazing how uninformed I was. I finished Escape, interestingly I also read both of the others you mention, and Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer as well. Very powerful stuff, and very eye opening. Here's my review, if you're interested:

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000WQ11GY/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop]http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000WQ11GY/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop
?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R1BDP53FSS8UNQ[/url]

#22 ·
I read mostly fantasy books, but I have a tendency to buy whatever Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert recommend. Blindly following is bad, I know. Anyways, one of my friends has just informed me that my life will not be complete if I don't give in and read the Twilight series. So, I might be starting that next.

#23 ·
Amazing how uninformed I was. I finished Escape, interestingly I also read both of the others you mention, and Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer as well. Very powerful stuff, and very eye opening.
Here's an interesting story. On December 27th 2005 I had to go to Boston to put my daughter on the train. I decided to go see the movie Brokeback Mountain since it hadn't opened here in Maine yet. I had a few hours on my hands so I bought Under the Banner of Heaven at the bookstore at South Station. I dove right in and probably read about half the book before the movie.

Then, I saw Brokeback and life sort of unraveled for the next two years. LOL. I had a serious Brokie problem. Things were finally starting to get back on track and then Heath Ledger died which knocked me for a loop again.

I actually think my Kindle was sort of therapeutic...getting me off reading fanfiction and all sorts of other stuff! So I guess in that way, it was money well spent. LOL

In the meantime, I had given Under the Banner of Heaven away (we did a major book cleanout a year ago and donated 12 boxes of books to my daughter's school). After reading the three FLDS books I thought about buying the Kindle version to finally finish it (I literally never picked it up again after seeing BBM) but decided that, eh, enough's enough. But what I read of it was good and interesting.

L

#24 ·
RovingSoul said:
I read mostly fantasy books, but I have a tendency to buy whatever Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert recommend. Blindly following is bad, I know. Anyways, one of my friends has just informed me that my life will not be complete if I don't give in and read the Twilight series. So, I might be starting that next.
You'll have to let us know what you think. Lots of people say the 2nd book in the series is the weakest, but my daughter was disappointed in the newest one (no. 4).

L

#25 ·
Khabita I am doing the same - read a book I have on my shelf and then I get to read one on my Kindle. I am the type to buy books that look good on impulse and then buy more as opposed to reading what I already have. I'm beginning the same "hording" on my little Kindle - must have 2 dozen books waiting for me....

Right now on "Emerson" I am reading Dewey, the book about the cat who lives in a library in the midwest, and also my first Wodehouse "Jeeves" book.

#26 ·
asordu said:
I am reading:

Infected: A Novel
by Scott Sigler
I read this earlier this year. It was terrific; seemed like an extended Outer Limits episode.... Nice to see someone write something in the horror genre that hasn't been done a thousand times already...

Another book I could recommend (which was made into a terrible movie this year) was The Ruins by Scott Smith. The reviews on Amazon aren't very good, but I thought it was excellent. Very creepy.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ruins/dp/B000JMKNOW/ref=ed_oe_k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.