Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very pleased to have received my Kindle from my wife for Christmas. I recently completed my MBA and now I have time to read the books I want to read and the Kindle is really addicting.

Here is my question, with the tough economic times and many companies going under, hypothetically, what would happen with the Kindle if Amazon hit hard times and folded. Has anyone else given any thought to this. I know there are various ways to get content to the Kindle, but it would certainly lose much of the best features. I just wanted to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure we need to worry about that:

Updated 6:53 PM.PT, Thu, December. 25, 2008

SEATTLE - Online retailer Amazon.com Inc. called this holiday season its "best ever," saying Friday that it saw a 17 percent increase in orders on its busiest day — a rare piece of good news in a season that has been far from merry for most ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
If Amazon does fold, we'll likely lose Whispernet, books from Amazon (obviously), and be left with the out of copyright books and converting from other formats for any e-book sellers left surviving. It's always possible other e-book sellers or publishers would continue selling Kindle files, but I suppose it's unlikely.

It's always the risk you take with buying a gadget that's mostly linked to a single company. Of course, if Apple folded, the same would be true of iPods/iTunes.

G

·
So the key here is keep hiting that one click button.  As long as we keep buying and they keep managing the compnay well, there will be no problems.

>click<

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can always back up the books you buy from Amazon on your computer.  If you have more than one Kindle, keep the downloads for each separate. 

The loss of the Kindle store on Amazon would be bad, but not catastrophic.  With luck, by the time that happened, there would be many other sources of books for the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I assume someone would program a converter to turn awz files into whatever the popular readers are at that time. Then you just buy whoever wins the reader race, convert your existing books to that format, and continue onward.

Steve

·
Registered
223 Posts
gglass99 said:
Here is my question, with the tough economic times and many companies going under, hypothetically, what would happen with the Kindle if Amazon hit hard times and folded. Has anyone else given any thought to this. I know there are various ways to get content to the Kindle, but it would certainly lose much of the best features. I just wanted to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks Jerry
I've been looking into ebook readers for a number of years. I never purchased any because the content simply wasn't there, and I felt it was risky to waste money on something that might not "last long". But those companies that were producing the ereaders were more into "gadgety" things than books, and I just never felt the commitment to books was there for the long haul.

Enter Amazon with the Kindle. Altho Amazon sells many things, it's most often thought of (at least in MY circles) as "the book place". The commitment to books was already there, and because of Amazon's presence in the book market, I felt publishers would eventually get on board. And...Amazon had a great deal of content before it started selling the Kindle. To me, that was another statement of commitment to the product. Most of the other ereaders that came before did it the other way around: they put out the "ereader gadget", then promised "more content" if the ereader caught on.

I had more faith in Kindle and Amazon than I did on any previous ereader. Time will tell, of course, but I think my faith is well-placed. :)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Lotus said:
It's always the risk you take with buying a gadget that's mostly linked to a single company. Of course, if Apple folded, the same would be true of iPods/iTunes.
I don't quite see the connection there. If Apple went away tomorrow, I'd still have the iPod that I could put podcasts onto (they aren't DRM'ed), and all of the music files in my iTunes folder can be copied to CD and the DRM is automatically removed and then the songs can be put onto any music device I desire. The iPod/iTunes connection is a convenience, nothing more.

Whereas if Amazon went away and my Kindle broke, I'd be up a creek as far as purchased books.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
If Amazon folded tomorrow, all your existing content would still be readable.  There are thousands of e-books from other sources which are compatible with the Kindle.  You could not buy new books from Amazon and presumably Whispernet would go away.

It's not like the music services that require authentication each time you want to play music that you've downloaded.  Once you have the content on your Kindle, you can play it forever no matter what.

I have some personal experience with this general sort of issue.  The company I used to work for (call it "D") was bought out by another (call it "H") and the software product I was working on was discontinued by "H".  No problem for me, as the product's developers and source code had, in the meantime, been bought by yet another company "I" (which I now work for and is very stable), but we did not get ownership of D's product so when customers come to us asking for new licenses for the old product, we legally can't help them, and H won't issue licenses either (indeed, they have nobody who could do so if they wanted to.)

There are probably quite a few companies out there I'd be concerned about regarding long-term viability, but Amazon is not among them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could still buy new ebooks from places like Fictionwise.com. Anyway if amazon went under they would probly sell things like there book and ebook divisions to somebody else.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Vampyre said:
ITT, isn't that that tech school I see advertised on TV?
ITT used to be International Telephone & Telegraph. ITT Technical Institute is a school which long long ago was spun off of International Telephone & Telegraph.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
With the shelf life of most of my electronic devices (with the exception of the Sony ones, which I can't seem to kill), I don't think Amazon really has to live THAT long to outlive my Kindle....  I'm hoping for five years.  And I don't necessarily mean before it dies a natural death, but that I'm sure to sit on it or something by then.  ::)

Betsy

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
it seems that the devices that you least like last longer....gone through that before. (but it was a phone....wait it is a phone. I'm still stuck with it)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
ROFLMAO - I get a titch touchy, I used to work at ITT Tech (started as a receptionist) and you would not believe the telephone calls we got for the original ITT. One lady demanded that we come to her house and fix her telephone which was made by the original ITT. She was quite adamant too. ;)

"What if Amazon falls on hard times?" I suspect we will continue to read on our Kindles, and if they fail, we will learn to hack.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
(Off topic, I know) I know somebody who's phone was 1 digit of from a pizza place.  People WOULD NOT believe they were not the pizza place.  Occasionally, they would just take the order to get the person off the phone.

Betsy

G

·
Betsy the Quilter said:
(Off topic, I know) I know somebody who's phone was 1 digit of from a pizza place. People WOULD NOT believe they were not the pizza place. Occasionally, they would just take the order to get the person off the phone.

Betsy
Hey that's almost like me but it's a local chicken place.

"What's yer special fer taday?"

take the order quote a price and say it will be ready in 20 min.

I don't think Amazon is going anywhere soon. If I get a years worth of reading out of my Kindle, it will have paid for it self several times over.

something better will come along...it always does.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts