Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may seem a strange question, but over a lifetime you could build up a large collection of ebooks. The books you buy are kept by Amazon on your account.  If I get hit by a bus, do my children have to buy them all over again?

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Like any other on line account, it's probably wise to be sure a trusted friend or relation has your log on credentials.  If they do, they can access the books you bought by logging into your account.

Honestly, though, it's not something I worry much about. :-\

·
Registered
480 Posts
Interesting thought, but what does happen with all of our digital content, email accounts (independant of ISP), forum logins, blogs, purchases, cloud accounts, photos on photo hosting sites... documents... what will happen to it all our 'stuff' say ten years after we die?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Back up your purchases on your computer. 

My brother died 2 years ago and his social networking accounts were taken over by his oldest daughter who was 20 or so.  It wasnt my place to say anything to I have kept it to myself, but it freaks me out.  I dont like it.  She has turned them into memorials.  Can you imagine getting a "friend request" from your brother 6 months after he dies unexpectedly? 

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
KingAl said:
This will only work if the survivor inherits the computer or device, since Kindle books are tied to the device.
True for books presently on a device. The books are tied to your account, and the books overall are in the account and can be downloaded to any supported device. The books will be accessible to any survivor that has your account login info.

Mike

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Like any other on line account, it's probably wise to be sure a trusted friend or relation has your log on credentials. If they do, they can access the books you bought by logging into your account.
This.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Like any other on line account, it's probably wise to be sure a trusted friend or relation has your log on credentials. If they do, they can access the books you bought by logging into your account.
Yep. All my passwords and account names are in an encrypted, password-protected file (in the cloud) that can be obtained by any of my family if the need arises. They can't get to it now, but there is a system in place to make it available if required.

Mike

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
KingAl said:
This will only work if the survivor inherits the computer or device, since Kindle books are tied to the device.
I usually do not advocate stripping DRM, but in the event of my untimely demise whoever gets my computer is welcome to strip my books of DRM and read till their hearts content. But I don't see me allowing anyone to continue using my Amazon account.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
meowzart said:
we may see amazon kindle accounts put in wills in the future...
You are on the right track and I am sure it has already been done.

Emails, cloud accounts, electronic accounts of any kind are assets of a decedent's estate. They can be included in a will or pass as assets in probate.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It has been my experience that most of the books and stuff left behind winds up in estate sales.  The families don't want most of it.

Elaine
Norman, OK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Being the unfeeling curd that I am, I don't give 2 twits as to who inherits my on-line stuff.  It's only electrons.  Not worth the challenge.  It don't exist in the real world.  I do, however, care about how my book ends.  You know...  The one I was so engrossed in reading on my k when I got hit by the bus...  :D

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Mjaydakid said:
Being the unfeeling curd that I am, I don't give 2 twits as to who inherits my on-line stuff. It's only electrons. Not worth the challenge. It don't exist in the real world. I do, however, care about how my book ends. You know... The one I was so engrossed in reading on my k when I got hit by the bus... :D
Ditto!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't walk in front of buses!

This is a good thing to think about. Do you have your lawyer 'gift' your on-line estate to a relative or friend? How does that work?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I suspect now that ebook authors can make good money, there will be some wrangling over rights to the books and their profits after an author is gone.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I keep a safe record of my logins and passwords for emergencies. I suggest it as a wise move, but keep it where it is not easily accessed--NOT next to your computer but locked away.

Not having access to my KDP account would be bad, for example.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
bjm said:
Do you have your lawyer 'gift' your on-line estate to a relative or friend? How does that work?
Your will simply needs to identify the asset and to whom it should be given. It is similar to bequeathing ownership or an interest in a patent or other intellectual property.

If no designated beneficiary is identified, the asset goes to the same person or persons who will receive the rest of your estate.

Once you die, the executor presents the appropriate paperwork to Amazon or wherever the electronic assets are stored and the contents is transferred.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My first thought was that if you get hit by a bus, it's gonna hurt a lot...

I keep the Spouse Thingy's and the Boy's Kindles on my account, so everything in the archives, they can get to. However, I need a way to nuke my other online stuffs if I die. Not that I have anything to hide. Oh, no...  ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts