Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
...which are traditionally chaotic and people play a little rough.

Also, a lot of people there are not Kindle fans, but just there to tell people why anyone who owns one is wrong or a sucker.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In the interest of fairness I have to add that there are many, many people on "the other side" who helpful and friendly and who have a lot of expertise which they share willingly and with good humor.  There are also a few -- very few, by my reckoning -- who are troublesome and unpleasant.  Efforts are made to deal with the troublesome ones, but there is little that can be done (though occasionally a post will be deleted by Amazon because it violates one of the rules). 

It's different here.  This board has moderators who exercise some control over content.  For example, recently I noticed that a moderator had deleted a potentially inflammatory statement.  I don't know how often that is done, but to whatever extent it is done it certainly could change the apparent tone of this board.  Also, this board is organized into subtopics and the other is not, and this board has a team of moderators who work in various ways to maintain order.  The other board does not have these advantages.

I read both this board and the other one on a regular basis and have found useful information, interesting discussions, and a good bit of fun in both places.  What I have not found on the other side is criticism of this board or any other.  Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Even though Kindleboards was started in November 2007, it didn't become active until about a year later when I persuaded about 200 of my "close friends" to join me here. I was very active on the Amazon forum from the time I ordered my Kindle in April 2008. I still post there occasionally and answer questions in the FAQ, which I started. It is an active board with lots of friendly people and helpful information. I think the frustrating thing is the fact that there are no moderators so that when discussions get out of hand, the group is forced to self-police, which is tough. There is also no search function which makes for lots of repetition of questions and comments. Frustration seems to be particularly high right now because Amazon merged 7 different Kindle discussion boards into one -- I have noticed that tempers are even a little more frayed than usual "over there."

The big difference here, as Libby noted, is that we do have moderators and we do keep a close eye on things. We move and merge topics to keep things organized. We will, when necessary, delete posts although we prefer not to and see that as an action of last resort.

As for criticizing "the other side"--well, we try to keep that to a minimum, too. The Internet is a big place and people have lots of choices where to spend their time. We work hard to make this a friendly, useful, and fun place and hope that people will come back again and again. I think a board based on negativity and complaining about other boards is not going to be successful. But, if someone does make a pointed or critical comment about another board, we are not going to immediately jump in and moderate that. We like to let conversations evolve and follow their natural course, as much as possible. It's a balancing act and hopefully we get it right, at least most of the time.

Harvey, me, and the rest of the mods are always open to comments and feedback, to let us know how we're doing and what you'd like to see here at KindleBoards. Please feel free to PM us at any time.

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I started hanging out on the amazon board when I started thinking about getting a Kindle, and it used to be more like it is here.  Over time, though, it got kind of boring, though.  When the K2 came out, it seemed like most of the posts were about that, and lots of them were either K1 owners trashing the K2 or K2 owners/wanters trashing the K1.  Then, too, a lot of the people who participated in good, interesting discussions have migrated here (or somewhere else), or have just stopped being active there.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
Um I hope you noticed when I said I was just kidding about people being crazy on the other board ;D And that I stated I find good topics on there as well...
My comments weren't meant as an insult either -- just an honest warning that people play a little rough there. I hang out there on occasion, but it's a whole different feel. Frankly, it also makes me snarky to see the same threads on DRM is Ebil and Amazon is the Debil, and why would anyone want a glorified brick?

I truly believe that the Kindle is not for every one. I'm actually okay with people stating what doesn't work for them. But smug know-it-alls who've never been with in restraining order distance of one acting as if they're experts and owners are the ignorant ones?

I like it there, but it's nice to be on a board where people start from a position of liking the product.

Amazon boards have the option to click if a post adds to the discussion or not, and there you can see people opting to "punish" others for differing -- not bad -- opinions. To me, it's this really impotent thing to do, and it makes me laugh when someone rates one of my posts unhelpful, because I'm of a mind to let each reader to decide that. You know if a post helped you, and if it did, a couple people clicking like angry locust won't change that. Still, seeing it in action, tells you the atmosphere.

Anyhow, I enjoy there and here, but one's a little more Wild, Wild West. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I regularly visit both this board and the Amazon forum and have found both extremely helpful. Granted, the Amazon forum becomes a little out of hand when a new device is announced/released, but that usually only lasts about a week or so before the discontents disappear and life gets back to normal. And yes, unfortunately they did merge all the Kindle forum discussions at the same time they announced the KDX, so that did get people riled up; but again, it's returned to normal now.

As others have noted, there are occasionally some troublesome people on the Amazon forum who feel the need to tell you how useless the Kindle is and how stupid you are for wasting your money on one, especially in these "difficult economic times". They seem to readily gravitate there because it's easy to locate from the Kindle description page (that's where I found it). It's almost as if they check out the Kindle and it's specs, don't care for it, then scroll down and discover the links for the forum and feel the need to purge themselves of their displeasure (or more likely their jealousy because they can't afford one!).

Overall, there's so many more helpful and enjoyable people there who it make it worthwhile for me; and you tend to just ignore certain people or threads with particular keywords (swindle is one of their new favorites) that it can easily be navigated stress free. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.