Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because 'duology' is NOT a real word according to the dictionary!

'Trilogy' is
'Tetralogy' is

nothing for 2??

Oh, and yes, I did a Google search and there were some forums that said the correct term was called 'dilogy' but in searching the dictionary, 'dilogy' means:
dictionary.com said:
Dil"o*gy\, n.; pl. Dilogies. [L. dilogia, Gr. ?, fr. ? doubtful; di- = di`s- twice + ? to speak.] (Rhet.) An ambiguous speech; a figure in which a word is used an equivocal sense. [R.]
so yeah, not what I'm looking for. LOL

'dilogy' doesn't even exist in the Merram Webster dictionary.

So does such a word exist for a 2-book series?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Gosh, not that I know of. It would be a book and it's sequel in my opinion.  But maybe someone will chime in with some rarely used term.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I think Miss Fletcher is correct. Further, I think they don't keep a term for a two-part series because it's either one or two. One, two, three, four... is a series. One and two? Pair, couple, original + sequel, etc.

That being said, lots of people are using Duology and getting away with it. I bet it'll be a word in the dictionary in a few years.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I vote for diptych (though mostly used for art) and duette, both already mentioned here.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I imagine it'd be hard to find a word that'd convey the same meaning as "duology" to a broad audience. I like to go with what works, even if it isn't as pretty as you might want it to be. :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
I think Miss Fletcher is correct. Further, I think they don't keep a term for a two-part series because it's either one or two. One, two, three, four... is a series. One and two? Pair, couple, original + sequel, etc.

That being said, lots of people are using Duology and getting away with it. I bet it'll be a word in the dictionary in a few years.
I agree. I think the term duology is becoming more accepted and that it will be in dictionaries within a few years.

I'd say if you want to use the term duology, feel free. Otherwise it's a novel and a sequel. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts