Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because 'duology' is NOT a real word according to the dictionary!

'Trilogy' is
'Tetralogy' is

nothing for 2??

Oh, and yes, I did a Google search and there were some forums that said the correct term was called 'dilogy' but in searching the dictionary, 'dilogy' means:
dictionary.com said:
Dil"o*gy\, n.; pl. Dilogies. [L. dilogia, Gr. ?, fr. ? doubtful; di- = di`s- twice + ? to speak.] (Rhet.) An ambiguous speech; a figure in which a word is used an equivocal sense. [R.]
so yeah, not what I'm looking for. LOL

'dilogy' doesn't even exist in the Merram Webster dictionary.

So does such a word exist for a 2-book series?

· Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Carradee said:
1. "Duology" is jargon, language specific to a field. Dictionaries frequently feature general usage, not jargon. Try reading a psychology book-they define terms differently, and much of the time, those field-specific definitions can't be found in your standard dictionary.

2. "Duology" is in the dictionary-you just have to check the right one. Generally, when I'm dealing with U.S. English and Merriam-Webster doesn't have something, next stop is Oxford or American Heritage, depending on what I'm working with.

Different dictionaries have their specialties. Merriam-Webster has a medical dictionary, for example, which will have definitions not in the others, and it's not unusual for me to find a word in the Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary that isn't in the Unabridged one.
Thank you! :D

1 - 2 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.