Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Amazon can come along and raise it. I had already raised it to $2.99, now Amazon have raised it to $4.99. US sales had already slowed right down after the $2.99 increase I did. I think this further increase might be the end.. :-\

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Abigail said:
When Amazon can come along and raise it. I had already raised it to $2.99, now Amazon have raised it to $4.99. US sales had already slowed right down after the $2.99 increase I did. I think this further increase might be the end.. :-\
Your book shows as $2.99 to me. I don't see a price for the UK store.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know what you mean, Abigail. I priced my book at 2.99, and almost immediately, they discounted it to .99 and left it there. I was like WTH???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Abigail, I think you might be referring to the $2 "whispernet service charge" that gets added depending on which country you're in. For example, all books priced at $0.99 show as $2.99 for me in South Africa, but will show as $0.99 elsewhere. That's why Kyrin sees your book as $2.99 and not $4.99.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Abigail, your book shows as £1.49 in Amazon UK.  That equates to approx. $2.99 once the UK VAT is taken off.

Angelina

·
Registered
624 Posts
AJHamilton said:
Abigail, your book shows as £1.49 in Amazon UK. That equates to approx. $2.99 once the UK VAT is taken off.

Angelina
Was just going to say the same thing. lol

Think Brett's right and you're seeing the Whispernet charges.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Christopher Hunter said:
I know what you mean, Abigail. I priced my book at 2.99, and almost immediately, they discounted it to .99 and left it there. I was like WTH???
You should contact Amazon and see if they are matching the price of your second book to some price on the internet.

It might just be a mistake because the names of your two books are very similar and one of them is priced at 99 cents elsewhere.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have changed it again.... It is now $2.49? I think they are really are having a play around.  ???

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do I see $2.41? Its weird.. ;D

Invisible Tears [Kindle Edition]
Abigail Lawrence (Author)
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (41 customer reviews) | Liked (13)
Digital List Price: $2.96 What's this?
Print List Price: $14.49
Kindle Price: $2.41 includes VAT & free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $12.08 (83%)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Yep, I just checked and it shows as $2.99 in the US. They lower the price if they pick it up as lower somewhere else, but I've never heard of Amazon raising a price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
amazon don't raise or drop prices unless you have the book at a different price at another big retailer like Sony, Kobo, Apple or Barnes & Noble.

Well, they do like to discount my books sometimes, but that shows as a discount rather than a price change. My books aren't normally on offer elsewhere. I think Amazon just like to discount me for some damn reason. The moment a book starts selling, amazon gets excited and takes a few percent off the top. I don't mind, as it's normally only a small amount. I put it down to them testing book sale methods and such. On the UK, they like to change my prices to round figures from time to time, like 49p rather than 71p, etc.

Prices will vary depending on what country you're in. I can purchase books from the US, but I get delivery charge and VAT added on top of them because I'm in the UK. I'm sure it's the same if you're in other countries that they have deals with for the Whispernet service.

check the other retail outlets you use and see what prices you have set there.

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
382 Posts
David Hewson, a thriller author in the UK, did an excellent blog post on the topic of world wide Amazon pricing here: http://www.davidhewson.com/blog/2011/5/10/a-word-on-amazons-worldwide-ebook-pricing.html

This should explain a lot of things.

As far as Amazon dropping a price they will only do so if their web crawler finds your book listed for a lower price. This happened to a lot of authors before the Agency model took effect for a many vendors such as B&N and Kobo. Amazon won't drop your price unless this happens, so the author needs to make sure that those places they list their book won't discount the price. B&N and Kobo stopped this practice. To my knowledge, all those vendors that Smashwords distributes to do not discount prices.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
JenniHolbrook-Talty said:
David Hewson, a thriller author in the UK, did an excellent blog post on the topic of world wide Amazon pricing here: http://www.davidhewson.com/blog/2011/5/10/a-word-on-amazons-worldwide-ebook-pricing.html

This should explain a lot of things.
He's right, but there's also a lot more to it than that. If you are in a country that is outside of Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, US, German, UK, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, and Luxembourg, you will pay an Amazon-levied $2 Whispernet surcharge, whether you download through your Kindle or not, whether you own a Kindle or not.

This is nothing to do with taxes.

I wrote about this in some detail here: http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/are-amazon-ripping-off-international-customers/

I have written to Amazon, and have had no reply to my 2-week-old email. A follow up last week garnered no response either.

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts