Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
People outside of the US can't buy directly from Amazon, so I guess they go the eBay route and pay inflated prices.

L

·
Registered
921 Posts
I really don't like when someone tries to take advantage of a situation like that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This type of auction happens all the time on Ebay on all types of products; if the product is restricted in some fashion, someone will try and sell it for an obscene price on Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Two well known sayings come to mind:

"Buyer beware"

"There's a sucker born every minute."

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty sucky.

As someone outside the US, I often rely on eBay to secure items I just can't get here. I bought my K1 from eBay, and possibly paid a little more than I should have (though I saved on shipping, which gets pretty costly, so it evened out). Those DX prices are just ridiculous, though. Crazy thing is, someone will probably pay it.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
And the DX is sold out through June 22. So people who want one to give to Dad might be willing to pay the insane prices. It is the market at work.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ebay sellers happen because there are Ebay buyers.

The real question is, what is wrong with Ebay buyers?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Forster said:

I was thinking the same thing! if buyers will pay it, sellers will ask it. Free market and all that.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Forster said:

I agree.
Without a market to pay those extreme prices,there wouldn't be items selling at those prices.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Forster said:

Copy that! Forster, you always have so much wisdom in your posts.

Sailor

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I purchased my K1 on Ebay the last week in October and paid less for it than I would have with the Oprah discount.  I might add the shipping was very reasonable.  Finally, I didn't have to go on the obscenely long Amazon wait list.  A week later I had my Kindle.  It was a very positive transaction from start to finish.

Then I noticed how much the Kindles were selling for around Christmas.  Again I totally understand paying MORE if it would have been the perfect gift for someone I love and delivery before Christmas. 

Ebay serves a purpose and only the Buyer can decide what a realistic price is for any product.  I really hope the people who spend a $1,000 on a Kindle enjoy their Kindle immensely.  ;D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I guess if someone is willing to pay that price then the seller can ask whatever price they want. It's up to buyers whether they want to pay that price or not.

I just think its lousy. Not fair to some people that are outside of U.S that have to pay the outrageous prices.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah I think it's insane for sellers to sell the Kindle for $600-1000 bucks... And the thing is hardly anyone would buy a Kindle for that price... You'd think sellers would have enough common sense to sell it for $300.00-$489.00 depending on which Kindle the buyer buys...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It may not be fair to purchasers outside the USA -- but the only fair solution is for Amazon to begin selling Kindles worldwide.  By the way, why isn't Amazon selling Kindles outside the US of A???

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tippy said:
It may not be fair to purchasers outside the USA -- but the only fair solution is for Amazon to begin selling Kindles worldwide. By the way, why isn't Amazon selling Kindles outside the US of A???
As much trouble as they've had keeping up with the demand in the U.S., perhaps they couldn't satisfy worldwide demand. It certainly can't be because they don't want to make more money by selling far more of them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
As much trouble as they've had keeping up with the demand in the U.S., perhaps they couldn't satisfy worldwide demand. It certainly can't be because they don't want to make more money by selling far more of them.
OMG, Amazon would have to ration Kindles -- oh wait that's what they were doing when people had to wait 6 weeks to receive a Kindle. Seriously, good point Robodoc. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tippy said:
It may not be fair to purchasers outside the USA -- but the only fair solution is for Amazon to begin selling Kindles worldwide. By the way, why isn't Amazon selling Kindles outside the US of A???
I'm sure it has something to do with the availability of the Whispernet coverage area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts