Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished Pride and Prejudice again. I never get tired of it or any of Jane Austen's books. What is your favorite or who is your favorite classic author.

Melissa

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hands down Pride & Prejudice, Melissa. And Jane Austen. But a close second is definitely Dracula, by Bram Stoker. It's an amazing book.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Arthur Conan Doyle is probably my favorite in the older "classics" category. Depends on what you would call classics. There's also a Mystery classics period and a Science Fiction classics period.

I generally have favorite authors and not favorite books per se.

Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
Count of Monte Cristo

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
My favorite book is the USA Trilogy by John Dos Passos which is comprised The 42nd Parallel, 1919, and The Big Money. I read them in one volume when I was in college and loved them. I really enjoy Dos Passos' (ok so were does the apostrophe go?) work. None of his work is available on the Kindle and I have not been able to find it on any of the free websites. I think it is because is a relativly unknown author, which is a shame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Jane Eyre"!!  (First sentence, last chapter: "Dear Readers, I married him.")  ;)
No, no, "The Call of the Wild."  :)
No, Frank Baum's (of "The Wizard of Oz" fame) Santa Claus books.  (There are two that I know of.)  :D
Wait, I mean "Dracula"; it is SO much more than the Bela Lugosi movies; fabulous read.  :eek:
"King Solomon's Mines" is so quaint these days, in light of Indiana Jones, Laura Croft, etc.  :p
Oh, and I loved reading "Phantom of the Opera"; the scene on the roof of the opera house..., sigh, shiver!  :D
So much to read, so little time.  :-\

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'll go along with the Sherlock Holmes stories as a whole.

I believe when the last consonant is an s as in Passos the rule is to use the apostrophe stand alone and do not add another s, i.e. Passos' however there may be exceptions I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Many people probably would not consider them classics, but my favorites would be The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I have read them at least once a year since the late sixties. At least now my copies are hard bound so hold up for more than a couple readings. Sure wish they were available for the Kindle. (noted in a couple of other threads)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Is it acceptable to say "anything by Poe"? Probably not. If I had to choose, it would be a tie between The Cask of Amontillado and The Masque of the Red Death.

I've always been a morbid one...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts