·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my favorite go-to site for recipes:

The Pioneer Woman Cooks
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

Made this (kinda-sorta) today for lunch:
thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/simple-hearty-chicken-rice-soup-itll-keep-ya-honest/

Love her humor--and she has good pics of the process, and recipes using ingredients I tend to have something close to.

Betsy

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love Pioneer Woman. She just seems so "normal". Nothing fancy or flashy, just simple yummy food. I'm cooking her chicken fried steak and gravy recipe for dinner this evening.

I also like Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten), she does tend to go a little more fussy with the recipes, but they are pretty much never fail.

I made the crab cakes and tartar sauce from Dinner at Tiffani's yesterday, those were awesome.

As for websites AllRecipes.com, Food Network website, and then if I'm just looking for ideas I'll Google certain ingredients or browse Pinterest.

*edit* I forgot my favorite one! kingarthurflour.com

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like kingarthurflour too, and will search the wild, wild Web for a recipe if I need to use specific ingredients. If I'm browsing, I try the following:

When trying to be healthy:
www.skinnytaste.com - healthy recipes, reduced calorie, and not too crazy
www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com - OK, it's mostly vegan desserts. However, vegan means my kid can stir and taste without worrying about salmonella, plus most of the stuff we've tried has been good.

After getting out the fat pants:
www.sallysbakingaddiction.com - Sometimes she does healthier stuff. Sometimes not.
www.ohbiteit.com - Yeah. Tasty "what if?" cooking. Doesn't generally approach healthy, but tasty.

I prefer simple recipes and hands-off ones. Stuff to do.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Gertie. 

I find I get most of my recipes off the 'net these days and I wanted some feedback on sites people have found to be dependable.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I love Pioneer Woman - was following her blog long before she got her show on Food Network. Another one I like is southernplate.com - her Taco Soup is a staple for us. http://www.southernplate.com/2008/09/worlds-easiest-supper-taco-soup.html I use her method for cold-brew coffee in the summer for my iced coffee, and in the winter I like to use her instant cappuccino mix recipe (sans the instant coffee) to make homemade coffee creamer.

I also like myrecipes.com - "MyRecipes.com features the largest collection of professionally-tested recipes online from food experts at the magazines and cookbooks you love and trust--including Cooking Light, Southern Living, Sunset, Coastal Living, Real Simple, and more." For me, the main draw is the Southern Living recipes. ;)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meemo said:
I love Pioneer Woman - was following her blog long before she got her show on Food Network.
OMG she has a TV Show? I found her blog when doing a search for a recipe for something--can't remember what--and have been going there first whenever I'm looking for a recipe for something (her mashed potatoes, OMG). I'll have to check out the Food Network schedule now.

Another one I like is southernplate.com - her Taco Soup is a staple for us. http://www.southernplate.com/2008/09/worlds-easiest-supper-taco-soup.html I use her method for cold-brew coffee in the summer for my iced coffee, and in the winter I like to use her instant cappuccino mix recipe (sans the instant coffee) to make homemade coffee creamer.

I also like myrecipes.com - "MyRecipes.com features the largest collection of professionally-tested recipes online from food experts at the magazines and cookbooks you love and trust--including Cooking Light, Southern Living, Sunset, Coastal Living, Real Simple, and more." For me, the main draw is the Southern Living recipes. ;)
Thanks for the tips!

Betsy

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, JRT--granddaughter was recently put on a gluten free diet, glad for the link!

Betsy
I strongly recommend their products, by the way. A GF flour that doesn't seem a bit 'gritty' and coarse ground or have an off taste is hard to find and theirs is the best out there. However Bob's Red Mill makes one called '1 to 1 Baking' that is also a good product. (I don't like the Bob's Red Mill products with bean flour--yuck) Bob's Red Mill also has recipes but I think the ones at Cup 4 Cup are better, but still worth a look. Pamela's Products also makes some good products as well as having some good GF recipes..

Hope that helps. It is a painful (and expensive) transition.

Edit: And regular recipe sites have at least some recipes that don't have gluten in them, but ingredients can sneak in gluten. Who would have thought that most SOY SAUCE has gluten in it? You have to check every **** product, even candy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a big fan of the food blog Oh She Glows. http://ohsheglows.com/

She's a vegan cook, so you won't find any meat/dairy recipes on the site, but if you're looking to add more fruit/veggie dishes to your cooking line-up, it's a great resource. A lot of her recipes are gluten-free as well. Personally, I'm a huge fan of her smoothies. Nom nom nom. :p

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I am all over the place. But I love the recipes on http://www.daringgourmet.com/ as I like to cook different dishes from around the world. I make my baharat powder with the recipe on that site. And the chicken machboos that uses that mix is to die for. Must have loomy's for that. The Masoor dhal is another one I make all the time from that site.

Allrecipes is good for basic stuff. I also love using german sites like http://www.chefkoch.de/ for various german recipes.

I tend to go for more smaller specialized sites for certain things.

Pinterest I found a few low carb things on like low carb pizza dough.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Atunah said:
I am all over the place. But I love the recipes on http://www.daringgourmet.com/ as I like to cook different dishes from around the world. I make my baharat powder with the recipe on that site. And the chicken machboos that uses that mix is to die for. Must have loomy's for that. The Masoor dhal is another one I make all the time from that site.
I had not heard of this site and now have it bookmarked, thanks Atunah! It seems to have some unique things to try.

I don't use any different sites than those already mentioned. I almost always start at foodnetwork.com, mostly because I am looking for a recipe I have just seen on one their shows. I think I may be the only one here that dislikes watching Ree Drummond (for some reason the way she speaks grates on my nerves), but I do like many of her recipes!

kingarthurflour.com and myrecipes.com are my other go-to sites.

eta: I forgot a site I found recently that I also have bookmarked now. stayathomechef.com Some really good stuff there with dishes from around the world, crockpot recipes, monthly meal planning suggestions, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts