Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid my father used to constantly say: "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right". That really stuck with me. I say it constantly to myself. I'm also a fan of "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Pertaining to writing I like "Amateurs wait for inspiration. The rest of us put in the work."

And a saying that I came up with and am trying to promote is "Do what you can. And when you can, do better."

What are some of your favorite sayings?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm a fan of "That's a good question, and I'd like to answer it in the form of an interpretive dance."

I don't get to use it often.

Teresa

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I am very fond of Mark Twin's quote: "When you catch an adjective, kill it."

*ahem* I don't always follow his advice, to be honest, but... I try to keep it in mind.  ;)

Edit: On secod thought my FAVORITE saying may be another one from Mark Twain (and this one I do follow): "Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be”

Twain was a man after my own heart.  ;D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Butt in chair--the best writing advice ever given. You are not a writer when you're walking around, playing on Facebook, and messaging on Kindleboards. You sit your butt in your chair and you write.  bye bye, have to take my own advice.

Also, whether you say you can or you can't you're right.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
"...The great thing in this world is not so much where we are,
but in what direction we are moving..."

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
One of mine's in my sig too (actually it's an excerpt from song lyrics).

And on my fridge I have a Mark Twain quote:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

·
Registered
285 Posts
JRTomlin said:
Edit: On secod thought my FAVORITE saying may be another one from Mark Twain (and this one I do follow): "Substitute "d*mn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be"
D*mn wise man, Mr Twain...

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
NOTICE: A lack of planning on your part doesn NOT constitute an emergency on my part.

I also like this one from Mario Andretti: "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts