Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
I haven't been to a farmers' market since I was a kid. My favorite thing to get really fresh though is tomatoes. A homegrown tomato tastes so much better to me than a store bought one. We used to grow our own and my mom would leave them sitting in the kitchen window sill to ripen.  :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can just about buy your week's groceries at my local farmer's market.  There's a dairy vendor of unpasteruized fresh milk, a meat vendor with local offerings and OMG the cheese they make is heavenly.  There's the veggies, a local bread merchant, a coffee booth and really what else do you need?  Well ok there is not a toilet paper merchant, I'll give ya that.

The cheese from the meat vendor is my favorite.  They have about ten varieties and I love them all, except the blue variety.  I don't much like feta either but theirs is pretty good.  So usually I make sure I get some good onions, a bag of salad lettuce and some cheese, then from there I have room for one or two impulse items.  The milk has never given us a problem, but I don't always buy it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not quite time yet, but we go to Coos Bay Oregon in July and August.  The farmers market there has the best peaches I have ever eaten.  My mouth is watering now.  Huge, juicy, fragrant...OMG I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Glad to hear there are real things going on at the farmers market in Portland.  Over here in Bend there are no good things to be had.  This is the time of year I remember summers in North Carolina with tomatoes, field peas, snap beans, and that very good white corn (which name escapes me at the moment).  Mmmmm.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It's too early here in Kentucky yet for much at the Farmer's Market.  We have some Amish families who set up at ours and they always have beautiful vegetables.  I always buy from them because I feel so bad for those poor women in those long sleeved full length dresses and I'm walking around sweating in my shorts.

ETA:  Meant to say I always take my reusable grocery bag when I go to the Farmer's Market.  There's just something about walking around there and filling up my bag with fresh stuff that makes me feel "Earth-y" or something :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carol Hanrahan said:
Strawberries are going strong here in So. Cal. And the apricots are so good too right now. How can you choose?
<sigh> I guess it's time to make jam again......
My Mom and I made Strawberry freezer jam on Friday last week. I had some on my toast this morning and it was soooooo good.

We have multiple farmers markets in Omaha to choose from and they sell a wide variety of everything from tomatoes, lettuce, meat, cheese, bread and although they don't sell toilet paper we do have someone that sells soap! A couple of our farmers markets also does SNAP tokens for customers on the food stamp program so they can buy local and fresh. It has been huge and people are loving it!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I want to know where Indy is shopping!  I've never seen a good meat or dairy farmer at ours! 

In the mid to late summer we get some amazing varieties of peaches and pluots that my DH and I go crazy for.  Early on in the season, my DH loves these dried sour plums that we've only seen there; you can also buy them fresh and eat them with salt for about the first two weeks the market is open.  I find myself often buying the ingredients for ratatouille when I'm shopping - it's my fave all veggie dish.  I add some dried culinary lavender I picked up about two years ago at the farmers market.

I'm also a sucker for Big Paw vinegars - so delish! 

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well, I've got to say that I'm glad the farmer's market operates 2 days/week here! I went yesterday and bought cinnamon bread, honey, and asparagus. We've already eaten the asparagus and bread, so I'll have to go back on Saturday for more. The asparagus was SO BIG - well over a foot long and very thick, but still extremely tender. :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Our farmers markets just opened two weeks ago. So far I've bought vine tomatoes (bigger than a cherry tomato, but smaller than a Roma). They were so juicy! My kids love them shelled and then filled with tuna (the tuna has the tomato innards, a dash of garlic salt and olive oil based mayo).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ooh...envy of you folks in warmer climes. Up here in Bellevue, WA, we're in full asparagus swing, but no new fruits yet. Anyone with access to Samish Bay should try their Ladysmith Cheese with Chives. I INHALE it by the wheel!

·
Registered
129 Posts
ARTICHOKES!!!!!  Big meaty meal sized 'chokes, yummmmm. Ok I'm starting to drool thinking about them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.