Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity, I added up what I've spent and the number of books I've got.  I didn't keep track the first month I had my kindle but have figured that I've spent about $350 and have 182 books on my kindle for an average of $1.92/book. That's not too bad!  At first I was purchasing books in the $7-9.99 range, but in the past month, most purchases were (smartly) $5 or less. 

Anyone else track their purchasing?

G

·
Mine is much less than that.  I added up once but I forget what it was.  I don't have as many books, most of what I have was free.  Probably around $75.00 for almost 2 months.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have no idea.  I do generally try to not one-click if the price is above $5 or $6, so only a handful of books on my Kindle cost more than that. 

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm an "Excel-aholic" so I have a spreadsheet of all of my books - purchased and downloaded for free.  Every once in a while I add up what I have spent and then divide it by my total number of books.  As of last week... my books averaged $1.62 each.  I definitely watch the Bargain Books and Free Books discussions.... and have taken advantage of the free classics that are available from Feedbooks and Manybooks.  I can say, though, that I have only downloaded books that I want and plan to read.  Anything that I know I'll never read..... I don't download.... so my spreadsheet, Kindle, and SD memory card aren't cluttered up with anything unwanted just for the sake of building up my number of books and reducing the average cost.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
stevene9 said:
$293

Probably 90% is from Amazon.
And this doesn't include the 10 books I bought today because I'm scared of all these large price increases I am seeing.

Steve

Edit: Make that 14 books purchased today. Help me please, I'm using the frustration of price increases to bankrupt myself - help me, help me, help m... aghhhh

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm up to about $120.00 or so.  I allocate about $25.00 a week for me to spend on books since I go through about 3 books a week or so.  I am also trying to pick up any bargain books when I see em due to price increases as well. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have spent about $140 in the last week, but that was all "free" money.  None of it was my own money.  I got $50 from Amazon Visa, a free $10 Coinstar Cert, $85 from my daughter, and I still have three free $10 certs coming from Coinstar.  I also had $43.93 in change built up, but I haven't touched it yet. 

I've had Little Gertie since 8/29.  I tried to keep track of how much I spent, but I misplaced my little book.  I'm guessing, pretty accurately, I think, that I spent about the same as I used to on DTBs or maybe a little less. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have no idea but only books under 5 - or free.

Think I am going to take Vampyre's suggestion, get an Amazon Gift card and that is my limit per month. I am trying to get as many as I think I'll enjoy before the prices go UP more! The DTB prices are good, it is the shipping that gets ya - so putting the two together, under $5 is good for me. I certainly don't have as many as I want.

This is a good place to talk about your addiction Steve, you will find many more in your boat. No lifelines but company.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have spent 217.02 for 98 books. Shouldn't I just go ahead and buy 2 more real quick to round that up to 100 books? I didn't realize I was that close lol.

Melissa

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You all have got me curious.  So I went and added up my books.  $132.20.  When I started I guesstimated 100.00.  I wasn't too far off.  My first purchase was Leslie's book, and my second was the Bible in one year.  The Bible was 9.99.  My most expensive purchase.  The next expensive was the Plum series that was suggested on here.  I haven't went back and added up how many books my 132 has gotten me.  I know I have about 9 pages so far.  Oh yeah, plus 1.25 for one magazine subscription.
All in all, not too bad, but I think I'd better go cash in my change and get a card just to keep me safe.
debbie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because of the random price increases, I have found that I will bite the bullet and buy a book that has a "reasonable" price whereas before I would just wait in hopes that the price would decrease. 

I refuse to buy a book over $9.99 though.  I just can't do it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I still haven't had the guts to look how much i've really spent on one-click. although it was enough to get me in trouble...but knowing mom she'd get mad at me for spending small amounts: 10-20 bucks depending on her day. I'll ask about it another day.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have spent $226.00 on books and this was all Coinstar money from the change bucket we have at home! I currently have 252 books on my Kindle and another 78 on my PC that I haven't moved over yet. This averages out to about 68 cents per book... not too bad! All those freebies and bargain books are mighty helpful! ;D I am still waiting for my 2 Coinstar bonuses to come in so I can pick up a couple of *higher* priced books I have been putting of buying!

Wells83 said:
I refuse to buy a book over $9.99 though. I just can't do it.
Same here, Wells83... that is why I haven't picked up the 4th Twilight book... it is still $11+

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Okay, you forced me to take an hour and go through my Amazon emails.  I had been planning to do it but hadn't gotten around to it yet. ;)

We have 2 Kindles.  DH and I don't read all the same books.
The first Kindle was received August 11 and the second on September 1. 
In that time we have purchased 79 books from Amazon for a total of $266.09.
It averages out to $3.37 per book. 

It doesn't sound like a very good average, but we have purchased the entire Dresden Files series (10 books) and all of the Stephanie Plum series that are available on the K (15 books).  Those are all higher priced books. 

Personally I'm thrilled.  It's just a little over $50 a month.  :) 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think it's a nice thought to say you won't buy any book over $9.99. But wait until all the new books are over that. We'll all be paying $12 sooner or later.

Steve

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
stevene9 said:
I think it's a nice thought to say you won't buy any book over $9.99. But wait until all the new books are over that. We'll all be paying $12 sooner or later.

Steve
shhh....I like living in denial.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts