Kindle Forum banner

What Kind of Reader are you?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that some people are Linear readers, and others are able to read multiple books at one time. I personally am a Linear reader. I read one at a time and then move on to the next. I do read my textbooks/ school books while I'm in the middle of a book of choice but only read one of "my" books at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Most of the time I am linear, but there are times when I am reading a slow book, that I need to read a fast paced book. (Non fiction and mystery thriller. Most of the time I can't read books in the same genre, they have to be seperate. I have a multi-level house and have been known to have a book on every level (4).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
I am mostly a linear reader but I made an exception today.  I am 3/4 of the way through "The House of a Thousand Candles" by Meredith Nicholson (got for free at mobi) but did a detour to read "UR" by Stephen King, which I got delivered today...several days early....from Amazon.

But almost any other time, it is linear all the way!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Pre-K, I kept a book in every room, one in my car and one at work, so I always had several going at once.  With the K, I tried reading just one at a time since I couldn't keep one in every room.  Didn't work.  Old habit reasserted itself and right now I'm reading five books, all different genres. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I'm mostly a one at a time reader...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,246 Posts
I said multiple but that's only since I had a Kindle.  Before that I was mostly linear.  Though when working I had a second book at work so I didn't have to carry a book back and forth.  I'm multiple now mostly because of the Book Klubs

Ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
multiple but less so since I got my Kindle -- I used to have books everywhere - each room, each car, my knitting bag  now I have my Kindle with me all the time so I can stick to one book at a time (or 2 or 3)

 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have tried to read multiple books at a time. It just does not work for me. I either get the books confused or end up not enjoying them as much as I should have. I suppose it could have some kind of humorous results for me, though.

Sookie could have sent Bubba to help Edgar take care of that nasty uncle of his. While, Stephanie could have sent her Grandma Mazur to provide back up. Meanwhile, the dogs could play with Bod Owens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
I read anywhere from 1-4 books at a time. If a book is really good I try not to just blast right through it, I start more books so I can make the good ones last. Of course that means the slow books are taking even longer to finish but I eventually do finish them and move right along to more books. It's a sickness I think.

Melissa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I'm a mixture of a Linear Reader and a "Other Reader". Other Reader being.... I'm very slow. I purchase books but it takes me a while to get to them or to go through them. Busy Busy.  :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
I have tried to read multiple books at a time. It just does not work for me. I either get the books confused or end up not enjoying them as much as I should have. I suppose it could have some kind of humorous results for me, though.

Sookie could have sent Bubba to help Edgar take care of that nasty uncle of his. While, Stephanie could have sent her Grandma Mazur to provide back up. Meanwhile, the dogs could play with Bod Owens.
rofl, that's hilarious, lr. I'm totally copying that for reference later.
I read multiple books at the same time. However, I have not been observed to rotate while doing it. Although until last night, I had not been observed to post with a Scottish accent either, so take that in whatever way you see fit.
;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I chose 'other' so I guess I'm supposed to explain - If it's a new book, I'll finish it before starting another new book. But once I've finished the book (or the series), I'll jump around the library depending on what I feel like reading at any given time.

For example, I blew through all 6 Outlander books in about 19 days over the holidays, but in the past month I've been re-reading parts of them all, in no particular order. Alot of the time I was looking for references from one book to another, and highlighting them so I could find them again.

Finally got over that though, and just started 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins. This will be a little slower going; have to actually think and make sure I understand everything as it goes along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
bosslady said:
For example, I blew through all 6 Outlander books in about 19 days over the holidays, but in the past month I've been re-reading parts of them all, in no particular order. Alot of the time I was looking for references from one book to another, and highlighting them so I could find them again.
I still can't get over that you did that. Did you have someone shoving cups of coffee in your hand so you wouldn't have to get up? ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
It was probably only 4-5 hours of reading a day, on average. I did still work, but didn't do much else on some days!

If it's the kind of book where I can't wait to find out what's going to happen next, and especially where I already know the characters, I read really fast. I did the same thing with each of the Harry Potter books -about 8 hours each even for the big ones. Some people think that reading it so fast diminishes the experience, but what I end up doing is re-reading them (non-sequentially) for quite a while afterwards. I get the initial rush of getting carried away with the story, but I also get the enjoyment of all the little details afterwards. When I read the first few books of the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey, it was 2 months before I could tear myself away and read something different!

I have to rest now, though, and read something intellectual - all about gene splicing and natural selection. Happy Birthday Charles Darwin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
bosslady said:
If it's the kind of book where I can't wait to find out what's going to happen next, and especially where I already know the characters, I read really fast. I did the same thing with each of the Harry Potter books -about 8 hours each even for the big ones. Some people think that reading it so fast diminishes the experience, but what I end up doing is re-reading them (non-sequentially) for quite a while afterwards. I get the initial rush of getting carried away with the story, but I also get the enjoyment of all the little details afterwards.
I'm like that too, I think I'm a multiple reader because I read around three books at a time (ADD anyone?), but when it's a series or a book I LUV to the point of obsession I have to finish it and read only that one. Once I finish the series I go back some time later and re-read it slowly and enjoy it in a different way.
:) I'm weird like that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
I never considered text books or tech manuals to be reading, probably because when I read one it's to learn something specific and then I stop.  When it comes to books I fire right though them taking those pesky DTBs with me whereever I go.  I am fast reader, if I don't have work I can go through the average book in a weekend, if it is par of a series and the books have come years apart I have been known to start the whole series over just for an uninterrupted story experience( I have read the first few Deverry books by K. Kerr, several times).

The worst for me is when I finish one book, I never have another ready to start.  Of course that will change when my Kindle 2 gets here...if  it ever gets here....THIS WAITING IS KILLING ME.

OK calm now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
I vary between one and five books at a time. If a new book in a series that I read is coming out, I go back and reread the series to keep myself up to date with the story line. I won't read anything else at that time. If that isn't going on, I usually try to keep several others going at the same time. I do this especially if I am trying to read someting that is hard going for me. Right now I have King Solomon's Mines, The Cabinet of Curiosities, The Outlaw Demon Wails (DTV) going so that I can try to get through Lord Jim.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top