Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If you're okay without 3G and don't mind special offers you can get the most inexpensive Kindle for only $69 from Amazon (or any store front that sells Kindles like Best Buy) instead of ebay. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with that - I'm not big on ebay and I think it's a bit more risky. Even if you don't want special offers, you can get it for $89, still a pretty good deal. It is the most basic Kindle though - no touch screen, no audio, no light and of course it's eInk. I assume you're looking for eInk and not a table-like Kindle Fire?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
momonique said:
Hi! Thank you for replying, I'm not sure if i want eInk or not, What would you suggest? :)
As Ann says, it depends what you want it for. If you just want an ereader, eInk provides a better reading experience, in my opinion. If you want a more multi-functional device, like a tablet, eInk is not for you. While tablets do support ereader apps, some people find the backlit screen hard on the eyes after reading for too long. Plus, the larger tablets are heavier to hold. It really comes down to personal preference. I have an eInk Kindle for reading and an iPad for games, web browsing, etc. I do not read on the iPad. To me, they serve completely different purposes but many people do read on tablet-like devices such as the Kindle Fire. You will have to decide which will be the better reading experience for you.

If you just want something to read with and something inexpensive, I recommend the $69/89 Kindle, unless you feel you won't like the navigation without a touchscreen in which case I recommend the Paperwhite for $119/139. There is no 3G but personally, I don't think it's necessary if you're trying to save money. You can't use it to browse the web anyway so I don't think the limited 3G access you get is worth the extra $60. Maybe if it was only $20 extra... but $60? Nah, not unless money is not really an object, which you've said it is.

If you want a tablet-like device, I would recommend the $159/179 Kindle Fire - I don't know much about the Fire family but since you are trying to keep the cost as low as possible, it would probably be your best option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.