Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to what extra stuff folks here might offer customers in their ebooks?
Aside from the bonus preview from your next book or excerpt to your sequel, does anyone put others extras in, such as suggested playlist for reading the series? Extra works of art, like character sketches? Behind the scenes, story notes, Easter eggs?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't put any extras in my books, but I am working on a series of codexes for newsletter subscribers. They'll be like little info cards that people can access on my website with a password, and will be a mix of characters, lore, places etc from my Inside Evil series. If I could draw more than a simple stick man, I'd do it all myself. As it is, I have to find someone to help!

I do think offering bonus content can work though, especially to encourage newsletter subscriptions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GWakeling said:
I don't put any extras in my books, but I am working on a series of codexes for newsletter subscribers. They'll be like little info cards that people can access on my website with a password, and will be a mix of characters, lore, places etc from my Inside Evil series. If I could draw more than a simple stick man, I'd do it all myself. As it is, I have to find someone to help!

I do think offering bonus content can work though, especially to encourage newsletter subscriptions.
What a great idea that is, GWakeling. Sounds like it would be fun for your readers!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
JGrover said:
What a great idea that is, GWakeling. Sounds like it would be fun for your readers!
It's mostly just so I can be a complete nerd. I play a lot of computer games where you collect codexes and I thought it'd be fun to do some for my books. Even if no one else reads them, I'll enjoy them. ;)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had character cards and ebook cover flats printed for a blog tour I was doing recently. I could only have them printed in lots of 100 so I offered them for free to the first 75 people who signed up on my website. Readers seemed to love that. 

·
Registered
96 Posts
I generally offer access to my short stories or some of the old PC games I've made. They're all kinda tied into my novel. The idea is that if I created this huge mythos that incorporates everything, it would encourage people to try a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DDark said:
An image on the last page. ;-)
Another good idea. What kind of image do you use? An alt of the cover or something else.

I'm loving the ideas, video games too? So cool. Makes me think of the viral campaigns some publishers use to create a whole universe for their series, you lead people to a website that is made to look like that world or to immerse the reader even more in that world. Like making a story sound as if it's based on "real life events"

·
Registered
728 Posts
At the moment I can't afford much (monetarily or time wise) to give as extras. So, I offer my newsletter subscribers first rights to know about news. If you sign up for my monthly newsletter, you're the first one to get upcoming release announcements, and some early-draft peeks at said releases. Granted, most of this goes up on my website a couple weeks later, but for those first two weeks hXc fans are the first to know about it.

As you can imagine, my sign-ups are mostly devoted fans who constantly badger me about "When is book 3 coming out???" but that's who I want on my list.  8)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
The fact that they get several more hours of entertainment from my novels over 100,000 words than a movie at less than the cost of a movie ticket or a good beer IS a bonus. 

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nothing in my eBook, but I have deleted chapters and a book-centric interview on my website, which I reference at the back of the book. I'll add book-group questions fairly soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
lcharnes said:
Nothing in my eBook, but I have deleted chapters and a book-centric interview on my website, which I reference at the back of the book. I'll add book-group questions fairly soon.
In a similar vein to that, I find that having side stories and little snippets of flash fiction focusing on the backstories of certain characters up on a website helps expand the book's universe and also acts as a "sampler" of sorts for people who haven't yet bought the book.

On my blog, I have a 1000 word story about one of the characters in my novel before the events of the novel.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've added in the odd sketch/drawing/painting from Fiverr here and there, but that's about it. I don't write a series, though.

I figure as a hack, it's kind of mean to make victims readers endure one of my books any longer than they have to. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Codexes sound AMAZING!!!! ;D

Well all of my stories are going to be for ages 8-12.
I plan on offering illustrations not used in the books, maybe even an art book.
Coloring pages, posters, and toys*.

Not too many toys. I was thinking one of those situations where:
When you get 500 fans/followers you give away a toy.  ;D

Let be a little more clear ;) :
To offer freely to customers: coloring pages/ art extras
AS promotionals: posters/toys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts