Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an author completing work on my next book, Stranger in My Heart, I'm very interested in knowing the kinds of books Kindle readers like most. My books usually have a paranormal twist or two. (Not vampires or shape shifters.) In a couple of months I'll be starting on my next book, and I would love to know what would entice you, as readers, to want it.

All the best,
Monti

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Almost everything that really appeals to me is a traditional mystery (not suspense or psychological) or hard science fiction.

Fantasy, paranormal, historical and romance are pretty much near the bottom of my preferences (with few exceptions, such as Jim Butcher 's Dresden series and Simon Green's series).

Mike

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Most important to me is that it be a "good read".  You know, a real page-turner.  Like Dan Brown or Michael Crichton or one of my favorites, C.J. Cherryh.
Second, I like character development - so I am ok with early parts that have no action at all.
And I like well developed infrastructure in fantasy/scifi.
Also really like novels with historical background, like James Michener or our own Jeff Hepple.
Does any of that help?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I prefer character driven books, and tend to gravitate towards mainstream fiction rather than genre fiction. I do enjoy an odd mix of things, though; science fiction, chick lit, books that tilt towards the weird... I'll read pretty much anything except formula romance, though I'm not opposed to non-formula romance.

That was real helpful, wasn't it?  :D

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Haha I loved the Twilight series so vampires and shape-shifters are right up my alley!  

That said, I can read just about any genre and enjoy it but I have to care about the characters.  Really good character development is a must for me.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like smart characters.  I once read that you can't write a really smart character.  They can be clever but not smart or people just can't relate to them.  I like Anne McAffrey because she had smart talented characters that weren't appreciated in their 'hometown' (for lack of a better word), but journeyed and found where they did fit in with other smart and talented people.

Trish Lamoree

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I love the paranormal and mystery books. I also enjoy books that have some humor in them. Books like the J.D Robb series and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I also like Nora Roberts books. I will read just about anything with the exception of vampires. Just can't do the blood sucking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love paranormal... Vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts & witches are some of my favs. But I also enjoy J.D. Robb & Nora Roberts. ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are some great answers. More than anything, you love to read!
Please keep your thoughts coming.

Monti

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I used to love authors like Rosamund Pilcher, Maeve Binchy.  I still do, for that matter.  Authors that gave a lot of detail, took a long time to detail a story. 
Since joining KBs I have read many different styles of reading based on suggestions by fellow KBers.  At this point, I'll give just about anything a try.  Except vampires.  I haven't been convinced to try that yet.
deb

·
Registered
712 Posts
anything that doesn't try to educate me or improve my mind, lol.  mainly romantic suspense, paranormal, fantasy, or mystery.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Monti said:
As an author completing work on my next book, Stranger in My Heart, I'm very interested in knowing the kinds of books Kindle readers like most. My books usually have a paranormal twist or two. (Not vampires or shape shifters.) In a couple of months I'll be starting on my next book, and I would love to know what would entice you, as readers, to want it.

All the best,
Monti
I like Women's Fiction, Romance Novels, and any stories about animals!

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Wikipedia defines paranormal as:
Paranormal is a general term that describes unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation,[1] or phenomena alleged to be outside of science's current ability to explain or measure.[2] In parapsychology, it is used to describe the potentially psychic phenomena of telepathy, extra-sensory perception, psychokinesis, ghosts, and hauntings.
Based on that may I recommend anything and everything by Julian May.
Especially Jack the Bodiless.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I love a huge variety of books, mainly fiction, with good character development. I live through them that way.

I personally love historical fiction and historical fiction with romance, such as the Outlander Series. Some of my favorite books have been thrillers or detective novels. I read the In Death series by JD Robb, the Southern Vampire series, and was really engaged by AFRAID by Jack Kilborn, and the Twilight series.

One of the most disturbing books I have ever read that haunts me to this day, is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. That was one that has stuck with me for years but is not for the faint of heart. I'm a long-time Stephen King fan but that book shook me to the core with its subject matter and style of writing.

I guess a summary would be that I enjoy reading books with well-developed characters and an engaging plot line. I have found that I really enjoy books with a dash of romance added in but it's not a necessary element for me. I'm not particularly into genres per se. I like any book I have trouble putting down because that means I've become involved in the characters and the plot.

Hope that helps,
EllenR

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
In my list of authors I should have also said it must be at least remotely possible which means no scifi, paranormal etc. or it must be historically accurate or be generally accurate historical fiction.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
LDB said:
In my list of authors I should have also said it must be at least remotely possible which means no scifi, paranormal etc. or it must be historically accurate or be generally accurate historical fiction.
Much of sci/fi is very much possible, some is probable.

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
intinst said:
Much of sci/fi is very much possible, some is probable.
It could be argued that Jules Verne dreamed up submarines. H G Wells wrote about traveling to the moon. Granted, he was wrong about what we'd find. :D A lot of things that Asimov and Clark dreamed up years ago are coming close to reality, if they're not already here and, heck, the Kindle itself, is a lot like the 'pads' they use on Star Trek Next Generation.

Ann

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
OK, no extreme scifi then, as far as my reading material. I like watching Star Trek / Star Wars but haven't read any of them and reading the older stuff like 20,000 Leagues. I don't care for watching much other than that in the way of scifi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Monti said:

All the best,
Monti
To answer the thread title: Good Writing. I'll read paranormal, sci-fi, fantasy, old literature, fiction, teen novels (Fablehaven and such), political books, history, cook books. The genre doesn't matter much to me, although I do have my preferences, but mainly GOOD WRITING is the prerequisite. I tire of cliches and weak writing and will toss a book if I can't suspend disbelief or if the author intrudes too much into the story.

Hook me from the start and keep me going. That's all I'm asking for. A good, well-written story. That leaves the playing field open a bit doesn't it?

Now to answer your other question:
Monti said:
I would love to know what would entice you, as readers, to want it.
That goes back to my first answer. However, I must qualify it with this suggestion. Write what you know and what interests you. If you're writing to hit a target market, chances are you will miss. What we, as the conglomerate mass of consumers, want is as fickle and ever-changing as the wind. We will want Harry Potter one day, Terminator the next. We will want Twilight one day, and The Federalist Papers the next.

So just focus on a good story and write well. I'll have to look up your book and see where your story takes me. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts