Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ear of someone at Amazon who actually asked me what kind of information Amazon could give me that would be helpful to me as a publisher. I think my response was more than he bargained for.  :D

I told him about the spreadsheet I keep which tracks my daily sales versus my high/low ranking over the previous 24 hours. I told him it would be nice to know how many people actually read the free or paid books they download. He told me that I could email him with anything else I thought might be useful. I don't know whether or not my feedback will ever truly lead to new KDP metrics, but it would be a shame to waste this opportunity. Amazon is notorious for keeping aggregate figures secret, but it's possible they will be more generous with giving information to individual authors about their own books.

So here's your big chance. Tell me what kind of information you wish Amazon would share with you about your book sales, and I'll pass it along. It can't hurt to ask, and we might just get a few of those things on our wish lists.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
How many returning customers from one book to another?

·
Registered
671 Posts
It would be nice to know how many people view my author page, along with page views for individual books. This information could be displayed in Author Central (so it is not public information). These are stats they track, but for some reason never seem to show us. It could be useful for gauging how effective ads were/were not, how effective blurbs/covers might be, etc. In other words, it would help with pinpointing visibility/effectiveness issues.

A bonus would be to list referral pages (i.e. what page the viewer/reader came from before landing on the author page or a book page).

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
Where do click-throughs to my book page come from?
Percentage of shoppers who view the page and then go on to buy the book.
Percentage of book-page-viewers who interact with different portions of the page. (How many open the full "Editorial Reviews" section. How many want to see all the reviews? How many view or download the sample? Etc.)
General demographic data, if Amazon has it. (What percentage of buyers is 18-25? What percentage is female? Etc.)
On which book pages is my book showing up as an also-bought?

The first one of the above strikes me as by far the most important.

·
Registered
523 Posts
1. How many people click on your book's page.
2. Of (1), how many look inside/download a sample.
3. Of (1 or 2), how many buy the book.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Definitely where clicks to the book that result in a sale come from. If we know where readers who bought the book came from, we know what methods of marketing are working best.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know it's unlikely, but I wish I could know where my sales come from. Readers in California? New York? Texas?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
No big deal, but could they please run some totals on the Month to Date Unit Sales reports?

And give us some idea of what percentage of samples of our books turn into sales of our books.

Thanks for passing this info along--to the great Zon. :)

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Becca Mills said:
Percentage of book-page-viewers who interact with different portions of the page. (How many open the full "Editorial Reviews" section. How many want to see all the reviews? How many view or download the sample? Etc.)
General demographic data, if Amazon has it. (What percentage of buyers is 18-25? What percentage is female? Etc.)

^^^ this ^^^^ especially the first one ;D

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Becca Mills said:

THIS!!!!!

This is even better:

KevinMcLaughlin said:
Definitely where clicks to the book that result in a sale come from. If we know where readers who bought the book came from, we know what methods of marketing are working best.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is great stuff! Thanks, everyone. Keep the suggestions coming.

Don't be afraid to duplicate what someone else said. It may be useful for Amazon to know which requests were the most popular with authors, so I'll tally the "votes" when I collect the info from this thread.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I want to know how many accessed the Look Inside feature and of those, how many bought? Same with the Sample feature. Like the others have said, who are these people and where do they come from?

If we're going for the whole book, I want to know how far people read it. While I wish everyone read the whole book once they start it, I'm realistic enough to know that many don't--especially if they got it for free. Is there a certain place that comes up as the one where people stop and move on to another book?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lisa J. Yarde said:
I'd like to know: where ebook sales occurred in those countries under the 35% royalty rule, sale date of books subsequently returned and like everyone else who's buying after browsing or sampling the books.
The country sales for the 35% royalty rate is definitely one I'd want.
Sample to purchase conversion rate is a good one as well.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
How many samples were grabbed
How many of those samples turned into sales
How many return customers (bought one of my books and then came back for another or another or another)
Where the clicks came from (both in internet terms -- how they found it, and in geographical terms -- what state, what country)
Demographic info, to the extent Amazon has it (age group, gender)

·
Registered
325 Posts
My number one wish is--like so many others here--to know where the clicks that lead to purchases are coming from.  That would be *so helpful* for targeting marketing efforts.

I also would like a way to see what also-boughts each book of mine is currently on.  

But mostly, that first one.  Any stats they could give us about the people viewing our book pages, where they came from and what they do there, would be super helpful.

ETA: And yes, search keywords that led to discovery/sales of our books would be great too!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. A lot of you are obviously familiar with web analytics. It sounds like we would all essentially like to have the equivalent of "Google Analytics for KDP," among other things.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts