Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aren't we raised being told to find something you love to do, figure out how to make a living doing it, and you'll never work a day in your life? My motivation is that dream. Sitting at the table, looking out the window to a bunch of cows grazing on pasture. A cup of coffee next to a laptop that goes EVERYWHERE with you. Writing another world, another protagonist, another experience. Cheers to that  ;D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I write because these damned characters won't leave me alone.  And I'm grateful to them for that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mostly on a day to day basis I guess it's that I want something creative to do, something I can do that has tangible results and feels rewarding. On a less self-centered note I also do my creative work in the hopes that it might mean something to someone at some point, that it'll improve someone's life, however slightly, like so much art has done for me.

Concerning money, if I some day manage to make a living doing something creative I enjoy doing then that would be fantastic but I'm not really counting on it. Sometimes I really wish money motivated me because then I might actually make some.

As far as accolades and fame goes it's always nice to get some recognition for your work and know it's appreciated but I really have zero interest in fame or being even slightly known which is the primary reason why I choose to writer under a pseudonym.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Freedom from the corporate grind. Freedom to live where I want and set my own schedule. Freedom to sleep in and work til all hours of the night. Freedom to take a day off when I want, to do my shopping in the middle of the day away from the rush hour crowds, to attend events without taking "leave" while my books continue to sell without my active intervention.

"I hate writing. I love having written." -Dorothy Parker.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life." -Confucius

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Bad writing motivates me. Especially bad writing of predictable stories that are selling like hotcakes.

I can do better than that...

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
David VanDyke said:
Freedom from the corporate grind. Freedom to live where I want and set my own schedule. Freedom to sleep in and work til all hours of the night. Freedom to take a day off when I want, to do my shopping in the middle of the day away from the rush hour crowds, to attend events without taking "leave" while my books continue to sell without my active intervention.

"I hate writing. I love having written." -Dorothy Parker.
Same here. Including the Dorothy Parker quote!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It changes over time. Right now, it's the wonderful feeling of working on a couple of series, developing the characters and expanding the storylines. I like the feeling of trying new things with writing, trying to get better at it. Also, my long-range goal is to have series that sell.  ::)

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I love to write, but I find greed is the greatest motivator right now (sad, but true). Every month my dream for the house I'm buying next year gets bigger. You should see the Harry Potter-inspired bar I'm going to have built. I'm even going to call it the leaky cauldron.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Telling stories, and hoping people read and enjoy them. The rest is just extra sprinkles on the chocolate donut of life for me.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Hearing from someone, anyone, that they are waiting for my next book.

I am a sucker for a gold star on my chore chart :) I feel that when I'm consistently writing and publishing, I am fulfilling my end of the bargain with my readers. I don't care if they read my story on a forum, my blog, or they buy it. I just like being read. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I love writing. I love making myself laugh and swoon and being able to write the books I want to read (getting reader feedback is really nice gravy, but I write mostly for myself).
I also love eating and having a roof over my head and never want to have to go work for the man ever again. EVER. AGAIN.

These two motivators are about equal, though it does fluctuate a bit depending usually on how the writing is going.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Death.

Sounds dark, but it's the truth. I'm driven to get all these stories out of my head before I die. Which will hopefully be no time soon since I'm only 28! :D

1 - 20 of 123 Posts