Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just about everyone wants to have folders or tags on the kindle. But what other features would you like?

Personally....
I would like to be able to share books with other household members while maintaining separate accounts. One way would be to allow (reversible & temporary) linking of kindle libraries that share the same billing address.

I would also like to be able to rename books once they are on my kindle. For most books this isn't important. However, for series I would like to have an abbreviated series name come before the book title. For example, Charlaine Harris's Dead Until Dark would be renamed (SVM#1) Dead Until Dark. This way, when sorted alphabetically, the books in a series would show up together and in order.

Occasionally, I would like to have a calendar or address book on the kindle. The rest of the time, I don't want to see the kindle turn into a PDA. :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've seen a couple of similar threads to this one, but I looked, couldn't find them, and gave up.

So, anyways... Here's my list:

1) The ability to adjust the time and date on the device without relying on WhisperNet. I don't have access to WN, and since resetting my K1, it's reset the date to January 1970. Which of course means timestamping no longer works, which of course means I can no longer list my books by "Most Recent First". Very frustrating. I have a sneaky suspicion this was a purposeful decision so that Amazon forces us to connect to WN at least some of the time. Big Brother and all that...

2) Folders / tags / some method of organising a library of eBooks. It has to be said. Everyone wants it. Everyone needs it.

3) Ability to share books over multiple accounts. I agree. Even if it's some screwy way of doing it like the old iTunes DRM'd tracks that you can have on up to 5 computers/devices. It wouldn't be great but it would be better than nothing at all. We could have up to five designated accounts with which to share books. I have a feeling Amazon will implement a similar feature at some point in the future. I just don't think they have it figured out properly yet. It's surprisingly difficult to figure out a way to allow sharing of media that's both legal, won't piss off the publishers, and won't encourage piracy. Of course they could just scrap the DRM altogether. But, yes, wishful thinking.

There's nothing else I really want. I don't want my Kindle to become a PDA. I don't really want it to have a huge feature set and become a multi-purpose device. I bought it to read books. That's all.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
reemixx said:
2) Folders / tags / some method of organising a library of eBooks. It has to be said. Everyone wants it. Everyone needs it.

I know you origianlly said "other than folders" but since this is my biggest complaint, im going to agree with reemixx and say we NEED folders.

3) Ability to share books over multiple accounts. I agree. Even if it's some screwy way of doing it like the old iTunes DRM'd tracks that you can have on up to 5 computers/devices. It wouldn't be great but it would be better than nothing at all. We could have up to five designated accounts with which to share books. I have a feeling Amazon will implement a similar feature at some point in the future. I just don't think they have it figured out properly yet. It's surprisingly difficult to figure out a way to allow sharing of media that's both legal, won't p*ss off the publishers, and won't encourage piracy. Of course they could just scrap the DRM altogether. But, yes, wishful thinking.

Enough said! Let us share the books with other kindles!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would like to see them add formats to allow secure mobipocket (since azw is based on mobipocket) or other ebook formats onto the Kindle. I have several ebooks in secure mobipocket format that I would love to read on the Kindle. With libraries starting to use ePub format, it would be nice to see the Kindle jump in on that bandwagon as well.

It would also be nice to bring native PDF support to all of their devices.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would like some sort of notepad feature, one separate from making a note on a particular book.

That way, we could make our own wishlists, make a read/not read list, among other things.

A lot of people might not like due to the less than perfect keyboard. it but I think it would be nice to have a basic word processor on the device. Then I could take notes on other subjects tht I might not have/need the book for, andn ot have to carry around a physical notebook. Yay for saving more paper!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Here's a site that has a free download for a sort of notepad. It's really a 'book' but it's empty except for blank pages that you can put notes on.

http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/

They also have a calendar and planner. Probably not as robust as a full PDA. . .but something.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Here's a site that has a free download for a sort of notepad. It's really a 'book' but it's empty except for blank pages that you can put notes on.

http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/

They also have a calendar and planner. Probably not as robust as a full PDA. . .but something.
Oh, cool! And thanks!

Hnn, how does storage work with this, do you know? Are the notes saved in a text file like the clippings and bookmarks are or what?

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I think the notes are saved like 'my marks and notes' so there are links. . . . .At one point this was also available at Amazon for a fairly small price. . . .Yes, here it is, and the calendar and planner too:

Notepad for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

Calendar for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

Planner 2009 for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

The advantage there would be that if you purchase the notepad from Amazon, then your notes and marks are saved on line as per the back up function they've recently announced.

Mind you. . .these are bare bones. . . .the reviews are not great but that's because they absolutely do NOT compare to what's available on smartphones/pda's. Still, they work well enough when you need something to make a note on and don't even have a rusty nail dipped in blood available. . . .:D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I think the notes are saved like 'my marks and notes' so there are links. . . . .At one point this was also available at Amazon for a fairly small price. . . .Yes, here it is, and the calendar and planner too:

Notepad for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

Calendar for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

Planner 2009 for Kindle (Kindle Utilities)

The advantage there would be that if you purchase the notepad from Amazon, then your notes and marks are saved on line as per the back up function they've recently announced.

Mind you. . .these are bare bones. . . .the reviews are not great but that's because they absolutely do NOT compare to what's available on smartphones/pda's. Still, they work well enough when you need something to make a note on and don't even have a rusty nail dipped in blood available. . . .:D
Lol, thanks a lot. This is great news for the Kindle and i hope more people come up with third party applicatons for the kindle, i believe Bezos stated that as a wish, himself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xopher said:
I would like to see them add formats to allow secure mobipocket (since azw is based on mobipocket) or other ebook formats onto the Kindle. I have several ebooks in secure mobipocket format that I would love to read on the Kindle. With libraries starting to use ePub format, it would be nice to see the Kindle jump in on that bandwagon as well.

It would also be nice to bring native PDF support to all of their devices.
ePub, definitely. I don't think they are going to be able to avoid support for it for too much longer.

I'm not sure how well PDFs would work on a screen this size. It would be nice to have the option, though.

MagicalWingLT said:
I want to read manga on the Kindle... I hope Amazon, Tokyopop, and Viz make some sort of deal... For now I guess I'll have to use the Mangle program..
:) I regularly click the "I'd like to read this book on the Kindle" for random manga. Hopefully they'll get the message.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hn, Forgot to add earlier, but I would also like to see a better way to move quickly through a book. Sometimes, if you push the 5-way controller to the right (or left, to move back) you can jump from chapter to chapter. I'm not sure why this isn't always the case, but I would love for it to be available for as many books as possible, or for some other kind of system to be at use for all amazon-bought books.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts