Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one thing, that I think is a serious oversight on the Kindle hardware.  A booklight.

A slick solution would be to have LEDs surrounding the screen between the bezel and the glass to wash across the screen.  But I'd be happy with something that is attached to the back, as long as it folds flat back to the device.

I know it would mean shorter battery life, and it's not that my Mighty Brite is too cumbersome.  It's just be a "nice to have."

I too would like to see folders for organizing the content.  This has been mentioned MANY times before.

What other ideas would you like to see incorporated in the Kindle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
SimonStern2 said:
There is one thing, that I think is a serious oversight on the Kindle hardware. A booklight.

A slick solution would be to have LEDs surrounding the screen between the bezel and the glass to wash across the screen. But I'd be happy with something that is attached to the back, as long as it folds flat back to the device.

I know it would mean shorter battery life, and it's not that my Mighty Brite is too cumbersome. It's just be a "nice to have."
Sony tried the side light and it wasn't so popular. My classmate has the sony 700 and he hates the light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
When a Kindle with the features below comes out, it will give DTBs some serious competition:

1. touchscreen
2. side light
3. color
4. larger screen
5. Built-in protective case
6. cheaper price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I personally wish it came in different colors. Black to be specific. Also, since it has cellular built-in the ability to SMS/text might be interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
jeremy81 said:
I personally wish it came in different colors. Black to be specific. Also, since it has cellular built-in the ability to SMS/text might be interesting.
Both of these are fantastic ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Different colors would be nice, there are skins available but some people might not want to spend extra money on accessories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
1) Tags (real ones, not this godawful trick we're using now)

2) Content Sharing, so I can get my wife off my damn amazon account ;D I want to be able to 'loan' a book to anyone w/ a kindle or amazon connected device (it'd appear on my Kindle but grayed out w/ a 'loaned to...' label, and I'd be able to 'retrieve' it at will (something I wish I could do with my DTBs!)

3) Contrast control

4) Better audio controls and differentiation between audio books and music files (Nothing too complicated but enough to know where it's place is in different audiofile lists)

5) Stay an e-book reader -- no, really, know what you are and do that. I don't mind the other minor side-uses too much but the last thing I want is yet another device trying to replace every other device.

6) Choice of case color would be nice (though, honestly, skins do a pretty bang-up job of that and keeping the kindle surface protected)

Things I don't really want...
1) Color. Yeah, I now, it's be neat to see the book covers but, just like telemarketers, you know idiot publishers will include color and graphics inside the book once the medium matures and I've tried to read books that do this (mostly PDF-based) and frankly it's annoying as hell and distracting. I want a book. A simple electronic book. Sedate and simple.

True, I'll never get a Kindle version of Salvador Dali's total work and biography (which is wrist-crushingly heavy in the hard-cover I have) but it's a small price to pay.

2) A light might be nice for those ultra-rare times I'm someplace w/ kindle but w/o good lighting but it'd just make the device cumbersome and side-lighting is just horrid. Buy a little penlight and clip it to your cover. Problem solved.

3) Touchscreen. Everyone of them I've seen makes me cringe. If I were gonna use the Kindle for a work-related device, where being able to expand/zoom technical drawings and diagrams would be a boon, sure; however, this is a reading device for books. I'll get a 9x11 eInk tablet with that crap for work (and expense it) if I need it but this is an electronic paperback and devices are best when they know what they are and stick to their design purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
There are two things I want to see:

1) A way to organize on the device. "Playlists," folders, whatever they have to do. There are a LOT of series books out there, and it might be nice to have a whole series in a folder, sorted in chronological order.

2) A version with no keyboard. I almost never use my keyboard, and if I needed one using the 5-way to peck at an on-screen one would do fine. Make the page bigger, and maybe make the keyboard flip or slide out instead. Or make a little one that snaps to the bottom USB port. The keyboard as is just seems like a colossal waste of space for 90% of my reading time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
V said:
3) Touchscreen. Everyone of them I've seen makes me cringe. If I were gonna use the Kindle for a work-related device, where being able to expand/zoom technical drawings and diagrams would be a boon, sure; however, this is a reading device for books. I'll get a 9x11 eInk tablet with that crap for work (and expense it) if I need it but this is an electronic paperback and devices are best when they know what they are and stick to their design purpose.
Sure, the touchscreen on the iPhone isn't going over at all. Totally useless. ;)

Why not touch the bottom of the page to turn it? Why not touch a word to define it?
More intuitive, realistic and fun than buttons, scrollbars, cursors and tiny buttons - it would be a great improvement IMHO, and is inevitable anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Folders!  I only have 3 pages worth of books right now, and I'm already wishing I had folders to be able to organize books.  Seems like such a simple thing, I'm sure it'll be an easy function to add and it'll be in Kindle 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can understand how some people never use book lights, but I typically read at night, with the lights off right before I go to sleep.  So for me, a book light would be ideal. 

I like the IDEA of a touchscreen, but the reality is trying to read through LOTS of fingerprints.  I am OK with the page turn buttons.  But I too do not need the keyboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I would really like folders. Even if they won't let me make and name them. Just give me genre folders for all I care. At this point I think we will take something, anything to clean up the mess. I seriously doubt that they really thought 1500 books with no folders was really the ideal way to organize the Kindle.  There has to be some reason they are not adding them...

Kindle design team:
"So how should we handle folders on K2?"

"Folders? Are you kidding? We got rid of the SD card slot."

"So?"

"If we add folders they will NEVER believe that 2 GB is enough storage. Let them page through 1500 books and see if they complain about not having enough memory next time!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
SimonStern2 said:
I like the IDEA of a touchscreen, but the reality is trying to read through LOTS of fingerprints.
Originally, I thought this about the iPhone. Then I got one, and I hardly notice fingerprints at all. I imagine they won't put a touchscreen on until they can make it resistant to smudges, etc. Teflon?! Anything could happen!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
akjak said:
Originally, I thought this about the iPhone. Then I got one, and I hardly notice fingerprints at all. I imagine they won't put a touchscreen on until they can make it resistant to smudges, etc. Teflon?! Anything could happen!
Just for grins... i have been touching my screen, and finger prints do not show - it he eInk screen seems to not really have an issue with finger prints. if zTouch works out so they can keep the same screen without a glass overlay (having the touch tech behind the current screen), then i really don't think fingerprints will be an issue.

Anyway, to me the main benifit of touch would be with a stylus (hoping they would always keep page turn buttons) for things such as highlighting, making handwritten notes, and doing puzzles.

I have a tablet PC and actually rarely use my fingers, I use the stylus mostly (although when i get a multi-touch one, that may change).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Yeah, I'd much rather have a stylus than a touchscreen.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top