Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Following is from Troubleshooting Forum]:

Well folks, I was on my third Kindle (second replacement) when I discovered that it had the sun-fade issue. I was very happy with the Kindle in all other respects, and the screen was great. But it was quite annoying to have it fade in the sun. So I called CS and they sent me another Kindle to replace it with. This one doesn't have the sun-fading issue (as far as I know), however the background is a darker grey, and the text is "muddier", "fuzzier", with overall less contrast. I've installed the "font hack" so they're both equal in that regard. I called CS earlier and they said they don't usually do replacements for darker, less contrasty screens, but if I was really unhappy they'd replace it. I don't want to seem picky, as all the Kindles I've had have had legitimate issues. The first wouldn't charge, the second had a loose case, and now the third has sun-fading issues. The fourth is good in all those regards but, as mentioned, the screen itself is worse. So what should I do? I'm afraid to send it back again and risk getting an issue that I just mentioned. Am I crazy? What would you do?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't know....I have k1. I hope you find the the right kindle. Its just waiting for you in a box...in a warehouse somewhere. lol.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That's a shame, Jason. I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I just had a return a Kindle because the cover popped open on the corner. It's annoying. I didn't want to return it. I was perfectly happy with the one I had.

If you're not happy, you should probably call. $359 isn't pocket change and at that price, you should be satisfied. All your problems were legit. It sounds like this one is too.

Good luck,

L

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine originally had a lighter screen, but with the 2.0.2 download it became a darker grey.  With the 2.0.3 download the screen became a little lighter.  I have no other issues with my K2.  I became used to the present screen and now it's not a problem.  Weighing all the pros and only one con with mine, I will keep it as I am very happy with it.  If you are not happy with the darker screen, by all means have it replaced, however, Kindles are "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."  :)   

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I would call yet again, Jason.  As Leslie said, $359. is too much to spend on an inferior product.  I think Amazon is sending out refurbished models as replacements and since they do not consider the lighter text and issue and are not testing in the sun for fading, it's the luck of the draw on whether you get a good one or not. 

I say this because my first replacement (for sun fading) had a big red sticker on the box.  I think it was a refurb and it had very fuzzy text and some sun fading.  When I called again, I asked for a brand new unit because I didn't want to go through that process again.  CS told me they couldn't guarantee that it would be a new unit because they just grab whatever's available when they do replacements.  Well 2 hrs. later, I get an email from the same CS rep saying that there was a problem with my return order processing, so he placed a new order.  That one arrived (no red sticker) and is fine, other than text that is lighter than the K1 which is an issue pretty much across the board.  But with the font hack, I now have a perfect Kindle.

Maybe it's just me, but when I spend that much money on something and it's not perfect, I'm upset every time I look at it.  Amazon's policy about this is that they want you to be happy and will keep replacing until you get a good one.  I and others on the boards have been told this several times by CS.  So, don't worry about being a 'difficult' customer.  You are not alone in this and Amazon needs to know about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts