Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm interested to hear what your strategy is when your sales drop. Do you take steps to turn it around, or do you put it out of your mind and focus on the next project?

Do you send out for more reviews? Do you focus on building up your social media profile? Do you blast promo tweets? Or do you just write more?

I'm toying around with a blog post on this topic, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dave

·
Registered
686 Posts
In order to boost sales I've just dropped the price on my books from $2.99 to $0.99 (fingers crossed).

But otherwise, I'll get back on kindleboards, amazon forums, facebook, (twitter has been useless, IMO) but also continue writing the next one.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
dgaughran said:
Hi,

I'm interested to hear what your strategy is when your sales drop. Do you take steps to turn it around, or do you put it out of your mind and focus on the next project?

Do you send out for more reviews? Do you focus on building up your social media profile? Do you blast promo tweets? Or do you just write more?

I'm toying around with a blog post on this topic, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dave
Something of everything, but don't burn yourself out. Just do a little of each every day and it has a cumulative affect over time. You have to remember that with Amazons Summer specials promo, it is soaking up sales and everyone seems to be reporting a blip in sales.

My main advice would be to carry on writing and ignore the sales figures. You should be able to knock out short stories at least at the rate of 1 every 2 days at 5,000 words if you put your mind to it. Whatever you do, do not get hung up over sales. Your first months sales proved you have a product people want to read. Just give them more choice, by increasing your output. Not sure, but didn't you have an ad on KU Forum? I know it pulled in more sales for me even though it wasn't cost effective. Try using their author forum posts as ads once per week at the weekend.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Decon,

That is good advice.

I should have been clearer in my initial post. I'm not particularly worried about my sales. They are down a third, but I figure that's a result of tagging, the summer deals, and the promo blitz around my last release dying down. I'm hoping to pick up the slack towards the end of the month with a new release.

I was trying to get a sense of how people approach it in general (I had an idea for a blog post). Ignore the numbers? Keep the head down and keep producing new stuff? Or try and address it directly by looking at your overall package/promo set up and tweak?

Dave

·
Registered
554 Posts
dgaughran said:
Hi Decon,

That is good advice.

I should have been clearer in my initial post. I'm not particularly worried about my sales. They are down a third, but I figure that's a result of tagging, the summer deals, and the promo blitz around my last release dying down. I'm hoping to pick up the slack towards the end of the month with a new release.

I was trying to get a sense of how people approach it in general (I had an idea for a blog post). Ignore the numbers? Keep the head down and keep producing new stuff? Or try and address it directly by looking at your overall package/promo set up and tweak?

Dave
If you can go through your data and find a direct cause, then address that cause. If not, don't sweat it. There is too much left up to chance in Amazon sales.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Write another book, make sure you're participating online, solicit reviews from bloggers and hope for the best!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I find the best thing to do is talk books. I am active on goodreads, here, facebook groups, yahoo, twitter and a few other places. I just talk books. Everyone is correct about new releases. I released, Five Days Notice, at the start of the month and I have had all three of my releases climb into the top 100 for their genre, one climbing up, falling away and then climbing higher into the top 100. It was just a case of making a point to join in discussions, talk books, let people get to know me and what I write, how I write, why I write and you get drips and drabs of sales, but after a few weeks that all builds up, raises the base level of when you have a bad few days. So, the book doesn't fall below a certain point.

I haven't done much promo's in a week, as I have had family down, but got back into the flow of things last night and all three of my books climbed into the top 200 in the U.K. All I really did was talking about my crazy week, lol, and join in with a few discussion, but that does help. I find direct promoting pointless. Their is a martial art saying "Let others tell your story." In the sense of feeding ones own ego. It translates into writing. Word of mouth is your best tool. Let people get to know you, give away books and let others say if they liked it and that does do wonders for sales.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remi Michaud said:
Eight steps out of the living room, twelve steps to the dining room, four steps to the liquor cabinet...

:p
Now there is a process which could be streamlined.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I do a lot of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.  :)

But seriously, there are times when sales are in the doldrums, and you just have to wait it out until they pick up.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I ditto what everyone else says from dropping price to liquor cabinet!! Seriously, who knows what happens...just keep up marketing and staying visible.

G

·
I'm not so sure if it's the Sunshine Deals as much as just the summer in general. Come August we may as well all be panning for gold flecks in a river. Do what you can in terms of promotion, take advantage of the time to write, and try not to let the numbers get you down.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
dgaughran said:
Hi De con,

That is good advice.

I was trying to get a sense of how people approach it in general (I had an idea for a bog post). Ignore the numbers? Keep the head down and keep producing new stuff? Or try and address it directly by looking at your overall package/promo set up and tweak?

Dave
The way I approach it, is to ignore it and to keep moving forward on the writing front.

I have just completed formatting my 12 stories in Lunch Break Thrillers as individual uploads. My stories are similar to yours at about 5,000 to 8,000 words. What I have done is included both UK and American English versions in the same eBook, with links for the customer to have the choice. I have uploaded these separately to Amazon De and to smashwords as a trial.

I have also used my last months royalty cheque to commission a German translation for my favorite short story and I will upload that with 3 language options which will get it in the German language section on DE. At the same time I am translating another short story in to Brazil Portuguese myself and inviting B/ Portuguese readers to assist which is gaining me a following in Brazil. 240 hits to date You can view the page on my blog http://declanconner.com/traducao-do-livro

Added to that, I have almost completed the sequel to Survival Instinct and I am halfway through a Novella.

What I am saying is that it is not about the here and now, but about the foundations that you are laying down for the future.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Two sales last month (1 Amazon U.S., 1 B&N).  Zero sales so far this month.

I'm too busy trying to finish my current work in progress to dwell on it.  After my current project is off to my agent, I'm then going back into my archives and getting ready three previous action/thrillers for self-publishing on Kindle and Nook.  That's enough to keep me busy throughout the summer, after which I'll refocus on sales.

Meanwhile, it's still a few posts on Facebook and thrice-weekly blogs.  Other than that, nothing.  Life's too short to obsess over sales figures.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Since a lot of my work is with publishers, I never know what I'm selling by the minute. So, I just plug away, keep writing, keep selling already written manuscripts and keep writing projects to self-publish and/or sell as the project needs. I totally agree with those who said publishing more titles causes a bump in sales. It's true!

Writing is my career. It pays my bills. So, there are some projects that are quick money (freelance projects), and some are long-term (novels). Some are in between (short stories). Either way, I keep on writing. What's the figure that floats around the SF community? 7 books before the average writer is living off the royalties? Something like that. So, take your time :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
First I whine, then I wonder if it's me, if the roller coaster is coming to an end, if people just don't like me, then I drop prices, then I RAISE prices, then I drop them halfway back to where they were, then I drink, then I whine, then I drink, then my wife whines, then I try to finish the first draft of my next book, then I drink, then I whine here on KB, then I go finish the first draft finally.

I've just now reached that "finish the first draft finally" step, so I'm gonna go do that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My sales dropped when I raised the price 30 pence (in the UK store). I have a hard time believing people are *that* price-conscious but I got some action after I lowered the price.  

Funny thing: UK sales are much better than US sales.  I think I found an audience more quickly in the UK store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts