Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- so many people are using the note feature of Kindle to add a note to the title page or the first page of a book that has "tag" words in it. You can then do a search on Kindle for the tag word which will result in search results for what you are looking for. This is the closest thing to organization that Kindle has to date. (of course we are all anxiously awaiting the FOLDER update... but I digress)

Anyway, I have never used tags before and am struggling with what to use. I do "make" my own word so that the search does not yield results that an author would write. I do this by adding a q before the word. Below are the tags that I am using. Help me out: what words do you use regularly for tags?

**NOTE: K1 owners need to allow 24 hours to pass before attempting a search for tagged words. K1's need the time to "index" the added words. It is my understanding that the K2 does not need a wait time and searches work right away.

My tag words so far:

qmystery
qromance
qbargain
qfreebie
qrecommended
qread
qunread
qsample
qvampire
qwerewolf
qevedallas
qsookie
qstephanieplum
qseries

What are your words and ideas????

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I use tags for source, price, recommendation source, read/unread, subject and/or genre, and personal review scale with 10 high. I plan to add tags for position in series. I have not yet tagged all of my books. EDIT: You can probably tell from below that I use abbreviations. ::) EDIT: Updated to match latest list. I keep a list of the tags with my Kindle. I have stopped tagging for source, price, and personal review.

qtbr for To be read
qo for opened. I follow this with the date I started the book. When I finish the book then I replace with qrd.
qrd for read. I follow this with the date the book was started and finished.

GenresTypesSubjectsSeries
qsfqnonficqscienceqser for series followed by series tag and number
qfantasyqficqcookqdisc for Discworld
qhistfqclassicqkindle, qk2, qkdxqalice for Alice in Wonderland
qhistqspeechqchickenqoz for Wizard of Oz
qmysteryqshortqcatqalterra for Alterra
qromanceqbio, qautobioqanimal
qmythqhumorqgardenMisc
qsuspenseqcollectionqreligionqnotes
qalthistqyaqpresidentqillus for illustrated
qvampqchildrenqUSAqgbww for Great Books of the Western World
qadultqChinaqdownload for downloading books from feedbooks, etc.
qessayqwriterqkb for aquired due to Kindle Boards recommendation
qpers for items I have created
qlargeprint (because I could never remember which book was formatted for large print when I wanted to show the difference in fonts)

Items have one or more tags as make sense to me.

Anna

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet with all my books, which have my own user-defined categories that roughly follow their Amazon categories (sometimes I think a book is a category different than they do and I also combine similar categories). So I use short versions of those categories on my tags:

Adventure/thriller = qadv
Autobiography = qautobio
Biography = qbio
Fantasy/scifi = qsff
Fiction = qfic
Humor = qhumor
Mystery/suspense = qmys
Non fiction = qnonfic
Romance = qrom
Urban/paranormal = qpara

I don't bother between read/unread, and my samples are on a different Kindle so I don't tag those. Doesn't matter to me on Kindle whether it was free or not; I track that on my spreadsheet.  For series, I put either a main character name or the series name (usually what's on Fantastic Fiction) and -01, -02, etc., all as one word, for instance:

qstephanieplum-01

You can get to the dash from the sym button on K1, not sure if it's the same on K2.

So far, I actually have found myself rarely using the tag/search system since I started tagging everything, so I'm trying to keep things simple and easy rather than putting a gazillion tags on everything.  But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOOOO, I love the idea of the series with the "-#"!!!  I have been reading the "in death" series and have been trying to come with a search that included the # of the series.  I am going to go add that!  Thank you!!

qevedallas-01

or

qindeath-01

Why didn't I think of that?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I really like the idea about the series number. Yes, the dash is available the same way on the K2 (and according to the manual, the KDX as well).

Good idea about the price on the spreadsheet. I will probably remove the cost, source, and review tags as I update my spreadsheet. I often don't get to the spreadsheet until the weekend (or even the weekend after). I plan to keep the opened and read tags but haven't marked many with unread. That tag is likely on the way out for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What a great idea! I've only had my Kindle a couple of weeks & I plan to start doing this tonight!

Annalog said:
qnrd for not read
qo for opened. I follow this with the date I started the book. When I finish the book then I replace with qrd.
qrd for read. I follow this with the date the book was started and finished.
Love this idea to keep track of what I have read & when I read it! (Sometimes I forget!) ;)

Steph H said:
For series, I put either a main character name or the series name (usually what's on Fantastic Fiction) and -01, -02, etc., all as one word, for instance:

qstephanieplum-01
Another great idea!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Kindle Kay! ;D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are welcome!

I am getting great ideas as well!  I know that some people are experienced in tagging things in fun, new and interesting ways.  Not me.  :(  In fact, my Kindle books are my first experience with tagging!!!  I am getting the hang of it, though.  And with my luck, as soon as I get it perfected and just the way I want it, Amazon will give an update that includes folders so all my work will be for naught!!!  :)

I just went in to the last 2 In Death books and added a tag "qindeath-15" and "qindeath-16".  Yea for the dash and series number!!!!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've never really tagged things before either; I don't use gmail, which uses tags instead of folders for email, nor do I use any of the photo organizer programs that have you assign tags for ease of finding pics (I should). That's one reason I'm trying to do this as simple and easy as I can, so I can remember what I've used for tags! :D

Glad to hear the dash/series number idea is helpful to others! :) I'm honestly not sure how much the number will come in handy for *searching*, but once the search results are brought back with the character/series name, at least the series number is in the note/tag as needed for quick reference.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that the number will come in handy for me.  I cannot remember the order of series for anything so I can just search the title-# and figure it out!  (One of the worst for me is the Southern Vampire Mysteries!  I do not know the order of those books at all.  I have one co-worker who can give you a title off the top of your head if you ask a question like "which book had that shower scene with Eric?"  Not me!)

I have wished many times that I could modify the title of a book purchased at Amazon to include the series order number but since I cannot, your superb idea is my next best option!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
For books that are series, I have gone to fantasticfiction.com, found the order, and made a file that I then put on my Kindle so I can look up the order when I need it.

Though, if I was starting over with a tabula raza type Kindle, the tag idea is really a good one.  Too hard to do after the fact, though. . . . .at least for me.  :)

Ann

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have to admit, I'm terrible about keeping up with tags.  So much so that I've given up all but one--unread.  Yep, don't even put another letter in front of it.  The tag goes on the first page of the book or the table of contents.  I've tried numbering series, etc., but I'm just not at all consistent about it.  I think the problem is me--I hate tags as a primary organizational system.  I'd rather have a dual setup--folders for sorting by genre (and for read/unread/samples), and tags for series, dates, notes, etc.  Having to tag every single book just doesn't happen in my universe--here OR in gmail.

Thankfully, I pretty much know what category everything fits into at a glance, the unread tag really just tells me what I have piled up for the most part.  The few series I've numbered are similar to the way others have done it, either by main character name or by a series-unique word, followed immediately by the number.  I prefer the look of having the "-" in there, but having to use multiple keys to put those in proved impractical for my lazy mind. :)

Sigh....if only there were folders.....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
marianner said:
I think some people keep a document on their Kindle with all their tag names.
I think that I may do this....keep it simple and handy....

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
That works, too, but I'd rather just have a few simple tags that I can easily remember, instead of having to flip back and forth between a potentially complicated tag cheat sheet and doing a search [use the tag "qcheatsheet" or "qcheat" to find that document easily! LOL]. :) But that's why we have options, so we can each do what works best for ourselves! :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Font hack would be cool! I'm major jealous of the K2 folks for that one. *pouts*

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put the q infront of everything otherwise if I search for "eve" (for example)  the search results will pull up everytime the word "eve" is used in the book.  "qeve" is my made up word and the search will only have that result.  Does that make sense??  :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
oh, good idea! That makes sense. I guess that is also why 1 word tags would be best. I'm spoiled with real tags on librarything so I thought I'd just use the same ones but yea that would result in a lot of search answers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts