Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been covered elsewhere, and this post may be (please) connected by moderators to the previous discussion. But here's my question:

What is Mobipocket? And if I have my titles available on Kindle, do I need to make them available through Mobipocket, too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mobipocket is an ebook-selling site, and the name of an ebook format. The books on Mobipocket.COM are in Mobipocket format. Mobipocket.Com was purchased by Amazon some time ago; and the Kindle format is a variant of the Mobipocket format. Unlike the Kindle format, however, ebooks in Mobipocket format can be read on PCs and PDAs with the Mobipocket Reader software installed, as well as ereaders like the Cybook. Unfortunately, Amazon has not chosen to permit books with DRM purchased from the Mobipocket site to be read on the Kindle.

So the short answer is that it opens up your potential market to non-Kindle owners.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
In addition to allowing your book to be read by non-Kindle owners by publishing your book on MobiPocket, you will also gain the added benefit of allowing international readers to read your book as well. Remember, at this point Kindle is only available in North America. The rest of the world will have to read your book through MobiPocket. IMHO, an author needs to publish his/her book on MobiPocket in order to reach the widest possible audience of ebook readers.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
One thing to be aware of with Mobipocket: you need to have earned $150 in royalties before they will pay you. If you have only one or two books, it can take awhile to get to that point.

L

·
Registered
516 Posts
Leslie said:
One thing to be aware of with Mobipocket: you need to have earned $150 in royalties before they will pay you. If you have only one or two books, it can take awhile to get to that point.

L
A way around this annoying negative is to list your MP book directly with some of the retailers. That way, you can get your royalties quickly, and with no minimum. But for the widest distribution, use MP as your wholesaler. That way, all--or most--of the many associated bookstores will carry it.

The big problem with MP--and I have heard this from others--is that it is hard to reach MP customers without a ton of promotion. If you have a traditionally published best-seller, you'll do well. But if you are just out there in the digital cosmos, you'll get dribs and drabs. Kindle Editions outsell MP versions dramatically.

Still, all of my e-books are in both Kindle and MP editions and I suggest you do the same. That way, you pick up the occasional interested Icelander and those who are not yet Kindled. But I am no expert in all this. So trust, but verify.

Incidentally, when I did my own research I found that, of all the e-book readers out there, MP was the most popular. And I liked the Digital Rights Management (DRM) feature. But things move fast, and may have changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts