Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
74,515 Posts
Teninx said:
You know the deck is stacked against you when the statements sound like:

I expect to be a burden on my children as I age.

There's nothing wrong with drinking alone every day.

Sometimes I just want to sit in a dark room and sob.

I think I could survive a 60mph head-on collision.
And the ever popular, "Tell me, do you still beat your wife?"

· Super Moderator
74,515 Posts
Lotus said:
I've been asked in two interviews what my star sign is. Oddly, I got both jobs and worked at both companies.
I think I might be a little insulted to get a question like that. It sounds so much like a bad pick up line. I mean, I'm there for a job, right? Not a date. But here's my story:

So, I joined the Navy out of college and was qualified to be an Instructor at the Navy Nuclear Power School in Orlando. All Nuclear Power officers had to be interviewed by Admiral Rickover and his staff. There were, as I recall, 3 or 4 technical interviews where professorial types would stand you in front of a chalk board, hand you a piece of chalk and say something like "derive the quadratic formula, explain as you go." Or "explain what happens when mixing amonia and bleach, show the chemical reactions. . .". Very Intense and Stressful.

The final interview of the day was with the Admiral himself. You sit in a small chair across from him behind his big desk. Behind you there's a table where two other guys (Navy Captains not in uniform, I later learned) sit and take notes. I was asked if I expected to get married and how was math (I was a math major) like being married. He's looking to see if you can keep your cool and think outside the box, and appropriateness didn't enter into it. The final question was "which of those two guys back there is better looking". At first I declined to answer but he said I had to, so I picked one. Then he sent me out in the hall to wait.

A few minutes later he sent the guy I had NOT picked to ask me why I thought the other one was better looking. Mind you, I was just 21 and these guys were in their 40's (plus). Neither one was particularly attractive to me at the time; I'd chosen completely at random. But the guy who came out had a comb over so I told him the other guy had better hair.

I did get the position. . . .got thoroughly drunk that night. . . . .

Ann

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.