Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my Kindle (yea...she arrived today! Her name is Avalon) I am trying to figure out what to do with the hundreds of books that I own. I know that I want to get rid of them; one of the reasons for getting Avalon is so that I can clean out the myriad of boxes that are taking up so much of my limited space. 
I originally intended to sell the books to make money for Avalon and so I posted them on Craigslist...but have had no takers and I have the books priced dirt cheap.  Amazon is out...too much commission and fees and besides people are selling a lot of the books I have for pennies at Amazon.  My used bookstore will only give me credit, and well, since they don't sell books for my Kindle I would end up right back where I started with lots and lots of books.
I would still like to make a couple of bucks off of the books so that I can buy books for Avalon, but I guess if I still have them in a couple of months I know of a few places that I could donate them.
Any ideas out there, as I am sure a lot of you have had the same dilemma...
Hmmmm....what to do??? :-\

·
Registered
300 Posts
In my area garage and yard sales are very popular places to buy used books.  But of course here in Missouri this is not the time of year. Late spring, summer and early fall is garage and yard sale season here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Last year I took more than 200 books to the library.  They will give you a receipt and you can use it as a tax deduction.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
tecwritr said:
Last year I took more than 200 books to the library. They will give you a receipt and you can use it as a tax deduction.
I do the same. I have brought them dozens of boxes of books in the last two years.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tecwritr said:
Last year I took more than 200 books to the library. They will give you a receipt and you can use it as a tax deduction.
That is a great idea...although I have a couple of places in mind already should I decide to give them away. There are a couple of non-profits in town, including the one that I work at, that can use the books. I was just trying to think of a way to recoup some of the money invested in them.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Are you sure you want to get rid of them?  I was so hoping I could replace a lot of my books with the K-versions, but the majority of them aren't available.  I've only been able to replace a small percentage of my dtb's.  Most of the books I have are books I will definitely reread. 

G

·
I also gave most of my books to the local library once I had too many.  Later on I found there were some I wish I had kept.  :)  It's still a very good option though.  Getting a tax break is also very nice.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I need to take a lot of books to the Library. I do not have a car. I wish I could find someplace to take my books that would come to my house and get them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I donate my books to the local library and take the tax deduction.  Dollar-for-dollar, the tax deduction might not match up with what I would make selling them.  But it takes less of MY time, and it gives me a warm fuzzy to know that the library can make good use of the books by either putting them in their own collection or making money (which benefits the library).  I feel like "a good citizen" and that goes a long way in my book!  lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anne said:
I need to take a lot of books to the Library. I do not have a car. I wish I could find someplace to take my books that would come to my house and get them.
In my area there are several non-profits that will come and pick them up. You can always list them for free on craigslist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gertiekindle said:
Are you sure you want to get rid of them? I was so hoping I could replace a lot of my books with the K-versions, but the majority of them aren't available. I've only been able to replace a small percentage of my dtb's. Most of the books I have are books I will definitely reread.
I have also grappled with the notion that I would regret getting rid of the books. I have come to the conclusion that my sanity (i.e. not having sooooo many items to clutter my home) is of foremost importance. All this to say, that I have a tiny home that I share with my DH and two lovely children. Not really enough room. The Kindle was a compromise, so that I could still have a ton of reading material and a ton of space.
But I will be sad to part with many of my books.... :'(
But right now, I am just too excited with my Kindle!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Congrats on your kindle.

Just take your time in getting rid of your books, you may find some that you will want to keep for awhile.  And a lot of non-profits will give you tax credits, or let your non kindle friends know you have books for sale at a "special for them" price  ;) ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anju said:
Congrats on your kindle.

Just take your time in getting rid of your books, you may find some that you will want to keep for awhile. And a lot of non-profits will give you tax credits, or let your non kindle friends know you have books for sale at a "special for them" price ;) ;)
I actually am a director in a non-profit and am thinking about setting up a library for our staff and clients. It is looking like donating may be the answer.
I like the *special sale price* for friends option. Something to think about!
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts