Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my Kindle (yea...she arrived today! Her name is Avalon) I am trying to figure out what to do with the hundreds of books that I own. I know that I want to get rid of them; one of the reasons for getting Avalon is so that I can clean out the myriad of boxes that are taking up so much of my limited space. 
I originally intended to sell the books to make money for Avalon and so I posted them on Craigslist...but have had no takers and I have the books priced dirt cheap.  Amazon is out...too much commission and fees and besides people are selling a lot of the books I have for pennies at Amazon.  My used bookstore will only give me credit, and well, since they don't sell books for my Kindle I would end up right back where I started with lots and lots of books.
I would still like to make a couple of bucks off of the books so that I can buy books for Avalon, but I guess if I still have them in a couple of months I know of a few places that I could donate them.
Any ideas out there, as I am sure a lot of you have had the same dilemma...
Hmmmm....what to do??? :-\

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
tecwritr said:
Last year I took more than 200 books to the library. They will give you a receipt and you can use it as a tax deduction.
I do the same. I have brought them dozens of boxes of books in the last two years.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tecwritr said:
Last year I took more than 200 books to the library. They will give you a receipt and you can use it as a tax deduction.
That is a great idea...although I have a couple of places in mind already should I decide to give them away. There are a couple of non-profits in town, including the one that I work at, that can use the books. I was just trying to think of a way to recoup some of the money invested in them.

·
Registered
27,641 Posts
Are you sure you want to get rid of them?  I was so hoping I could replace a lot of my books with the K-versions, but the majority of them aren't available.  I've only been able to replace a small percentage of my dtb's.  Most of the books I have are books I will definitely reread. 

G

·
I also gave most of my books to the local library once I had too many.  Later on I found there were some I wish I had kept.  :)  It's still a very good option though.  Getting a tax break is also very nice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I donate my books to the local library and take the tax deduction.  Dollar-for-dollar, the tax deduction might not match up with what I would make selling them.  But it takes less of MY time, and it gives me a warm fuzzy to know that the library can make good use of the books by either putting them in their own collection or making money (which benefits the library).  I feel like "a good citizen" and that goes a long way in my book!  lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anne said:
I need to take a lot of books to the Library. I do not have a car. I wish I could find someplace to take my books that would come to my house and get them.
In my area there are several non-profits that will come and pick them up. You can always list them for free on craigslist.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gertiekindle said:
Are you sure you want to get rid of them? I was so hoping I could replace a lot of my books with the K-versions, but the majority of them aren't available. I've only been able to replace a small percentage of my dtb's. Most of the books I have are books I will definitely reread.
I have also grappled with the notion that I would regret getting rid of the books. I have come to the conclusion that my sanity (i.e. not having sooooo many items to clutter my home) is of foremost importance. All this to say, that I have a tiny home that I share with my DH and two lovely children. Not really enough room. The Kindle was a compromise, so that I could still have a ton of reading material and a ton of space.
But I will be sad to part with many of my books.... :'(
But right now, I am just too excited with my Kindle!!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Congrats on your kindle.

Just take your time in getting rid of your books, you may find some that you will want to keep for awhile.  And a lot of non-profits will give you tax credits, or let your non kindle friends know you have books for sale at a "special for them" price  ;) ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anju said:
Congrats on your kindle.

Just take your time in getting rid of your books, you may find some that you will want to keep for awhile. And a lot of non-profits will give you tax credits, or let your non kindle friends know you have books for sale at a "special for them" price ;) ;)
I actually am a director in a non-profit and am thinking about setting up a library for our staff and clients. It is looking like donating may be the answer.
I like the *special sale price* for friends option. Something to think about!
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.