Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The major supplier of my DTB's is a local independent bookstore that has a trade-in program. I have been going to this particular bookstore for well over 25 years now using the used book trade-in program and usually buying a new book or two a couple times a month.

I usually have more credit on my trade-in card than I get in books (just for those book emergencies when I don't want to give up cash) so have a carryover balance. At this time of year the carryover balance can be quite large, so a few years ago I decided to play secret santa and requested the bookstore take my used book credit balance and apply it to anyone who needed it and wish them a Merry Christmas. Needless to say, I trust them to accomplish this without reservation. :)

Nothing makes me more sad than listening to a conversation in a bookstore about not being able to afford a book. :'(

Since I have Joy now, I won't be doing the book trade-in thing on a regular basis and I want to make one last big donation so this weekend I'm going to be ruthless and round up some all of my DTB's and go down to the bookstore to donate the credit to anyone who needs it. ;D ;D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wow! That is very nice of you to do!!

I'm not nearly as noble as you are. Some of them get donated to my local library, and the rest of them are regenerated into other dtb's or music CDs via paperbackswap.com (if anyone wants to join that let me know and I can give you a referral ;D).

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
How generous of you! Wish there was someplace around here to do that! Most of my DTB's go to my mom who reads them and then sells them in her annual garage sale. I have a built in bookcase just off the foyer and I am only keeping those DTB's that have special meaning to me. Because of my tendency to be a pack rat, I decided when we moved into the new house that if the books wouldn't fit in the bookcase, I had to get rid of more. With the Kindle, I can keep an attractive bookcase and still have tons of books!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have donated almost all of mine to the local library. They have a little bookstore in it and they sell donations to benefit the library.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My husband take them to work with him and dumps them on a desk and in minutes their gone.  He's not a reader and doesn't understand what a pile of free books means.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am giving about 90% of my DTB to my local library.  I talked to the second hand book store and he said it really is worth the time because he is close to closing because people can get books from bookstores at next to nothing.  I even looked at eBay but books are not selling for the most part. I have complete sets of authors like James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, WEB Griffin, John Sandford, JD Robb and others. So I am giving my books to one of the library branches that does not have complete sets. They will get read that way. It is hard to give these books away since they have been a big part of my life over the years.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
There's an organization in Baltimore called The Book Thing. They'll take your used books. . .they are non-profit and give them out free to folks who can't afford to buy books. Used to be you had to physically take them there, and they were only open certain days, but they might take shipments now as I believe they've got their own space now. Check 'em out at http://www.bookthing.org/

Ann

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
My Mom and sister got all of mine.
Linda
So does my mom and sister. Now they are depressed they will have to get their own books since I Kyndale. I told them they should get a Kindle then I can share ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
The hospital where I volunteer has a book cart just outside the gift shop.  I donate my books to the hospital or library.

Sometimes I give them to friends and tell them to pass them on when they're finished with them. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My daughter attends a brand new expeditionary high school that was just established four years ago. This spring, they'll have their first graduation. Since they have to beg and borrow for any little thing, book donations are very welcome. We did a major clean out last year and donated 12 boxes of books. I'll probably do another big clean out and donation before she graduates.

The school was very grateful.

Of course, I kept my absolute favorites.

L

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Periodically I purge my DTBs and donate them to the neighboring village historical society for resale (cheap). 

·
Registered
157 Posts
I work at a used book store so I just bring em back to the shop.  Working at a book shop is very dangerous for a reader... as I can attest to with the mountains of books and the lack of shelving lol.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Scathach said:
I work at a used book store so I just bring em back to the shop. Working at a book shop is very dangerous for a reader... as I can attest to with the mountains of books and the lack of shelving lol.
I couldn't do it. I'd get fired the first day for reading on the job.

My dtb's go to Goodwill or Salvation Army, usually. I donated a trunkload to the library once, but they weren't very nice about it. That was surprising.

Over the past five years I've probably donated well over 1,000 books, and I still have about 1,200 left. I'm trying to keep just those I know I'll read again and again.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
So far my books live on the two bookshelves in my room, the two large boxes in my closet and in plastic container/drawers under my bed. Then my textbooks are located next to my tv. I am going to sell back my textbooks tomorrow, but I am not going to gave up my DTBs until download them to my kindle. With the new semester and I have to pay for half my books...I may just sell all 30-40 Star Wars books as soon as I find a used books store in Vegas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Am I the only one who still has pretty much every book I've ever owned (including 25 year old college text books, although I think I finally got rid of my Internal Revenue Service Tax Code of 1985 just last summer)?  I re-read pretty much everything, (my LOTR set is almost falling apart) mostly because as the one who manages the finances in the house, I feel compelled to set the example and not blow the whole discretionary budget on my habit!

Plus, whenever I do get a new book, I am pretty much useless as a contributing member of the household until I am finished with it, so can't do that very often and get away with it.

... Ok, I took a quick count and I only have about 250 books scattered around the house (not counting the textbooks) so compared to you guys I have alot of catching up to do.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Having worked in our public library, I have an idea of what they'll actually put in their book sale. Those books will go there and the others, since I'm generally short on cash as well, I'll check and see if I can't sell on Amazon. :) I don't find that its worth listing a pb for less than a dollar though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just donated 6 bags of books to The Goodwill.  They love getting books they are one of their best sellers (so they told me)...and I get the tax deduction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts